Is my sg2100 dead?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diyguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Lexington KY
I installed my new system today, Hotdish75, sg2100 motor, standard LNB, and Traxis 1500. Everything is plugged in right but the green LED on the motor does not come on when the receiver is powered on. I cannot move the motor through the receiver or using the manual buttons on the motor itself. The RG6 running from the motor to the receiver is only 40 feet so that shouldn't be a problem. I purchased the motor as new on eBay and it was dropshipped from DMS International. So does it sound like this motor is dead or is there a problem with the Traxis 1500? This is my first FTA install and I'm very disappointed so far.

Try a new short cable from the receiver to the motor.
Bring the motor in the house, or take the receiver outside.
Kinda sounds like the cable ...

Oh, maybe LNB power is off and the motor isn't activated on the receiver...?
That's certainly a way for there to be no power to the motor/LNB/coax.

The LNB power says 13/18 and I'm getting a Level signal but no Quality signal. I cannot continue setting up my dish with a non working motor.

I just cut the 40 foot Skywalker cable amd fitted it with new connectors so surely it wouldn't be the cable.

Anole, you mentioned activating the motor on the receiver. How is that done on the Traxis 1500?

I took a look at the manual for that Traxis 1500/2500 receiver.
The LNB Power On is right... I'd think you should have power on the coax.
Do you have a volt meter to check it with?

I don't see a setting in the manual for use of a motor...
I guess a Traxis user will have to help you. :(

Iceberg - here is the manual for another receiver, if you want to add it to your collection.

I had a similar situation with the first motor I bought off of ebay. The price to buy a new motor, with shipping, off of ebay wasn't too much more than than it would have cost to have the thing shipped in to be repaired, not counting shipping... so I opted to just buy a new motor and hold on to the old for spare parts or to give to someone else down the road if they want to pay for the repairs.

Hit menu,
hit V+, press OK on Antenna Installation,
now hit the green button,
go to DisEqC and press V- and you will see MOTOR, by defauld it's OFF,
now press OK and you can move the dish and store the Satellite.

If you have level signal, that meant that LNBF is connected and is ok.

Saludos
Hiebert

Thanks hiebert. I already did all that and I have a signal level from the LNB and the output from the receiver measures 18.3 volts so the motor is DOA.

DMSI finds it hard to believe they have a DOA on their hands. They want me to go through their warranty service rather than just replace the motor with another one which would be the customer-service oriented thing to do on a new purchase.

I'll never buy anything with the DMS name on it again. And the dealer/reseller I bought it from is no help whatsoever.

I've decide I would send everything back to DMS, their dish and LNB as well. There are too many reputable companies out there that'll treat you right. Fleabay and DMS -- a combo to avoid.

Sadoun, and Satellite A/V I have had good luck with.

That can be frustrating when something happens, especially with a new set up. Hang in there!

DMSI finds it hard to believe they have a DOA on their hands. They want me to go through their warranty service rather than just replace the motor with another one which would be the customer-service oriented thing to do on a new purchase.
I'll never buy anything with the DMS name on it again.
And the dealer/reseller I bought it from is no help whatsoever.

I've decide I would send everything back to DMS, their dish and LNB as well.
There are too many reputable companies out there that'll treat you right.
Fleabay and DMS -- a combo to avoid.
Well, I find it hard to believe , too.
But, what is the procedure for the DMS warranty service that's so bad?

I think you've hit the nail on the head in commenting the dealer is the problem.
He just had the product drop-shipped from DMS, so he has never touched it.
...and is trying to wash his hands with the whole problem.

As mentioned above, Sadoun does good customer support.
I've returned a few things to them, and they're very cordial.
They sell the same motor - so I wouldn't paint DMS in a bad light, here.

I have that motor and it seems very good. No matter how good a product is, there is bound to be a few bad ones. What sucks is when it happens to you :( But, how the company/dealer handle can make or break your trust. Don't give up! FTA is a FUN hobby!

Well, I find it hard to believe , too.
Why? How complicated can it be? Give the thing power and it should work. Simple as that. I mean it's a no brainer.

Everybody thinks the sg2100 is so infallible -- made of solid silver or something. If it were then wouldn't they offer more than a one year limited warranty?

Neither the dealer nor DMS has offered to help me troubleshoot the motor. Technical support anyone? They just want me to ship it back at my expense "to see if there's anything wrong with it." How ludicrous.

I can name several companies that would pickup or pay for return shipping on a DOA defective product and ship a new one without arguing with the customer.

I have NOTHING good to say about DMS or its fleabay reseller. And I won't give them a second chance.

Why? How complicated can it be? Give the thing power and it should work. Simple as that. I mean it's a no brainer.

Everybody thinks the sg2100 is so infallible -- made of solid silver or something. If it were then wouldn't they offer more than a one year limited warranty?

Neither the dealer nor DMS has offered to help me troubleshoot the motor. Technical support anyone? They just want me to ship it back at my expense "to see if there's anything wrong with it." How ludicrous.

I can name several companies that would pickup or pay for return shipping on a DOA defective product and ship a new one without arguing with the customer.

I have NOTHING good to say about DMS or its fleabay reseller. And I won't give them a second chance.

Of course you entitled to your opinion, but please be honest. Did you not call in and get technical assistance from Lance? and did he not issue you a RA?

We have offered to take care of you under warranty, whatever it takes to get that done. BUT we cannot service a product that you have not sent in to us.

I do know the dealer that you bought it from and he is a honest and good dealer that has been in business for several years. Yes, he sells on ebay as many do.

Send it in and we will take care of it. I will also post a report for all to see as to what the problem was with it. No one told you that there is no problem with your motor, there very well may be BUT we have no way of knowing that unless you send it in.

I'm certainly sorry that you've had problems. No one here is trying to avoid your problem. We want to get it corrected for you BUT again, we can't until we have the motor here.

We have offered to take care of you under warranty, whatever it takes to get that done. BUT we cannot service a product that you have not sent in to us.
I purchased this new and it's defective. I paid with VISA they say I have a 30 day return period. I should not be seeking warranty service on a newly purchased item. According to VISA I am entitled to an exchange or return within the first 30 days. Normally warranty service would take effect after the 30 day return period. This is VISA's policy and overrides any merchant return policy.

Why should I be out the money to send the defective motor back to you when you should have sent one that works in the first place. Send me a prepaid shipping label and I'll return the motor to you for an exchange -- not repair under a warranty service.

I would have to agree, if the item is newly purchased, and it is DOA, the dealer/company should issue a return pick up. The buyer should not be penalized.

I know DMSI is a great company, so hopefully you can get squared away. I can see your situation would make you feel negative towards them.

I purchased this new and it's defective. I paid with VISA they say I have a 30 day return period. I should not be seeking warranty service on a newly purchased item. According to VISA I am entitled to an exchange or return within the first 30 days. Normally warranty service would take effect after the 30 day return period. This is VISA's policy and overrides any merchant return policy.

Why should I be out the money to send the defective motor back to you when you should have sent one that works in the first place. Send me a prepaid shipping label and I'll return the motor to you for an exchange -- not repair under a warranty service.

Tell you what, you send it in and if we determine it's a product defect, I'll exhange it for you and send you a new LNBF to compensate you for your shipping and trouble.

Tell you what, you send it in and if we determine it's a product defect, I'll exhange it for you and send you a new LNBF to compensate you for your shipping and trouble.
I don't need a LNBF unless the one you sent me is also defective.

Not to but in, but maybe you guys should talk of this via pm's. It seems that Mr. Tim is willing to take care of you, but it is a 2 way street. Good luck guys!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)