Is new PS3 MGS4 Bundle enough to get you to buy PS3?

Will you get the new PS3 with MGS4?

• Yes! This game was why I wanted a PS3 and now I can get both in 1!

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I'll get this because it makes economical sense to not buy all separately

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • This does not entice me. I'm happy with what I have.

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No because the current system is still too expensive.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • I already own a PS3. Go away.

Votes: 34 41.0%

• Total voters

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
As was mentioned in another post, Sony is going to release a new PS3 bundle that includes an 80GB System, Metal Gear Solid 4, and a new wireless Dual Shock 3 controller (remember that great DS feature?) This bundle will cost $499. The PS3 currently costs $399 for 40GB and one wireless controller.

For those of you that have not purchased this system yet, does this new bundle entice you to finally pick up "the other system?" Or is this still not enough to justify the purchase?

I have 2 360s and a Wii. What does it for me is BluRay has won the war. I'll probably buy a bundle when released.

Yep, 80GB ver, Blu-ray player, and $45+ game, this should do it for me and the wife. 2 controller or remote would be that much better.

I have a launch PS3 60 and am not interested.

I suppose that many will like this combo, but I don't see it as much better than the previous bundle with Motorstorm. Personally I don't much care for the games Metal Gear series. And I hate dual shock in my controllers, always turning it off.

I guess i dont see why any one would spend 400$$ or more for just a blu ray player when you can get a Great PS3 that has it included for just 399.

I guess i dont see why any one would spend 400$$ or more for just a blu ray player when you can get a Great PS3 that has it included for just 399.
Well I suppose you could argue that a full fledged Blu Ray player would have more power and be better overall, much like how the PS2 was a decent DVD Player, but not something that an audio/videophile would consider using.

The Blu Ray aspect is something that is more appealing to me now since the fall of HD DVD (although I think it would be a smart idea for HD DVD to stay a burning medium like CD-R/DVD-R.) Honestly I don't see myself getting a PS3 then running out and buying a ton of Blu Ray movies. I use my DVD player now for watching TV shows, and I don't see Blu Ray doing much in terms of tv things (which is to be expected.)

Imagine if Blu Ray had lost and then all these users ended up with a defunct media playing format.. ;p

The dualshock controller is the most enticing part of the package. If anything is has made me certain NOT to buy a ps3 in the meantime. When the whole package hits $250-299 I will probably jump. If that's 2012 it won't bother me.

The dualshock controller is the most enticing part of the package. If anything is has made me certain NOT to buy a ps3 in the meantime. When the whole package hits $250-299 I will probably jump. If that's 2012 it won't bother me.
I bet a $299 or at least $349 drop will come around Xmas this year.

I have one, and the demos on it made me rent another 360 game (MX vs ATV).

:p

I'll have to rent Heavenly Sword and I think Uncharted is calling my name now that I sat down and played with it some more.
That reminds me too... the end of the God of War trilogy will be coming to PS3.... between that and MGS4 this year may have to be called "The Japanese (Sony) Strikes Back"

I have the PS3 80GB with that Motorcross game that came with it (I never play it, as I don't like that kind of game but my son does). I bought the system primarily as a Bluray player but bought a game to see how the system played (I love both my Xbox 360's and my wife loves her wii). I bought "The Darkness," which is also available on the 360. I loved this game and thought it played well on PS3. I invested a couple weeks of evenings to playing through this game, as it was as good as a book you couldn't put down (so they say). Then I made the mistake of doing EVERY side mission, including one that spawns a bug later in the game. There is what is known as the "Lower East Side harmonica" bug. What a downer, that I couldn't even finish the game. They have yet to release a bug fix. So all that time invested in a cool game for nothing. I have heard that Xbox players have the same problem with the game. Tech support says to go back to Chapter three and do over half the game without doing the side mission. Sorry, but that is not a fix in my book. I have a stack of 10-20 games I want to play more and/or finish, and 100+ DVD/HD-DVD/Blurays in my collection of over 500 that I haven't even watched yet. Plus working! Plus my family (new baby included). Plus having somewhat of a LIFE! I don't have time to play through such a game TWICE! They need to fix it. So..... my first experience with a PS3 game has not been a good one. I know it isn't their fault, but their are at fault for not pushing to get better games out there. I will buy MGS4... I am a huge fan of past Metal Gear Games and have the PS3 already, so I will buy it and, hopefully, finish the game.

As for bluray, you may or may not know how I feel about that, but we are stuck with it. So I am glad I have a good bluray player that I can count on in the PS3.

With a no interest deal for 24 months with CompUSA before they went under a few months ago, it was well worth purchasing my PS3, even just as a Bluray player.... the games, like this one, are just a perk. Like, "oh year, it can play games too."

For me it boils down to, if the game is available for Xbox360-PS3 and or Wii, I will always buy the Xbox360 version. If it isn't, I would buy the PS3 version, and lastly, I would buy the wii version. But pretty much, wii proprietary games are the best for that platform. Good stuff you can't get anywhere else.

PS3 has to hit hard with this game if it wants to be considered a gaming platform...... they can't go on forever just as a bluray machine!

I have the PS3 80GB with that Motorcross game that came with it (I never play it, as I don't like that kind of game but my son does). I bought the system primarily as a Bluray player but bought a game to see how the system played (I love both my Xbox 360's and my wife loves her wii). I bought "The Darkness," which is also available on the 360. I loved this game and thought it played well on PS3. I invested a couple weeks of evenings to playing through this game, as it was as good as a book you couldn't put down (so they say). Then I made the mistake of doing EVERY side mission, including one that spawns a bug later in the game. There is what is known as the "Lower East Side harmonica" bug. What a downer, that I couldn't even finish the game. They have yet to release a bug fix. So all that time invested in a cool game for nothing. I have heard that Xbox players have the same problem with the game. Tech support says to go back to Chapter three and do over half the game without doing the side mission. Sorry, but that is not a fix in my book. I have a stack of 10-20 games I want to play more and/or finish, and 100+ DVD/HD-DVD/Blurays in my collection of over 500 that I haven't even watched yet. Plus working! Plus my family (new baby included). Plus having somewhat of a LIFE! I don't have time to play through such a game TWICE! They need to fix it. So..... my first experience with a PS3 game has not been a good one. I know it isn't their fault, but their are at fault for not pushing to get better games out there. I will buy MGS4... I am a huge fan of past Metal Gear Games and have the PS3 already, so I will buy it and, hopefully, finish the game.

As for bluray, you may or may not know how I feel about that, but we are stuck with it. So I am glad I have a good bluray player that I can count on in the PS3.

With a no interest deal for 24 months with CompUSA before they went under a few months ago, it was well worth purchasing my PS3, even just as a Bluray player.... the games, like this one, are just a perk. Like, "oh year, it can play games too."

For me it boils down to, if the game is available for Xbox360-PS3 and or Wii, I will always buy the Xbox360 version. If it isn't, I would buy the PS3 version, and lastly, I would buy the wii version. But pretty much, wii proprietary games are the best for that platform. Good stuff you can't get anywhere else.

PS3 has to hit hard with this game if it wants to be considered a gaming platform...... they can't go on forever just as a bluray machine!

I'd argue that you are in the minority on that issue. While this may change near the end of the year, right now most people are using their PS3 for gaming and not probably not even touching the Blu Ray features. Now that we have that as the only format that will likely change, but I honestly doubt that many people are buying the PS3 just to have a cheap Blu Ray player. I mean that's like buying a Xbox 360 to have a Media Center.

Its not like it used to be, where most people just had one or two systems at a given time. There were many people who were just Sega people (SMS, Genesis, Saturn,) and people who were just Nintendo people (NES, SNES, N64.) One main issue was that that generation was bound by the limitations of their parents. We were all growing up and didn't have a great deal of disposable income, so if mom/dad didn't want to buy system A or B, typically you were stuck with what you got. Now that we all (generally) have our own money and can spend it as we want, we're no longer bound to just picking one system.

I have a Wii and a 360, but I always did have the intention of eventually buying a PS3. For me I needed the time to be right. The first year the PS3 was out it had no appealing games (to me) or they were all games that had 360 ports. Now with more PS3 exclusive games coming out, AND the adoption of Blu Ray, I will definitely have one before the end of the year. My main issue is that I have no idea where I'm going to put it. :p I hope I move out by then, because I can just picture the look on my mom's face staring at another system coming in just thinking, "My god.. all those years of schooling and forced sports and he has ANOTHER system.."

Hopefully this will prove that the HDMI ports on my TV are not screwed up, since they have exhibited some odd behavior..

I'd argue that you are in the minority on that issue. While this may change near the end of the year, right now most people are using their PS3 for gaming and not probably not even touching the Blu Ray features. Now that we have that as the only format that will likely change, but I honestly doubt that many people are buying the PS3 just to have a cheap Blu Ray player. I mean that's like buying a Xbox 360 to have a Media Center.

I'll believe this when PS3 titles have some staying power in the top 10 in monthly sales. Even the 'best' PS3 titles only make brief appearance, if that (Ratched and Uncharted never cracked the top 10 in software sales) and then disappear.

Until then, Sony has plenty to be concerned about their console. Anybody who wants a future proof BD player (ie, cheapest profile 2.0 player) has no choice but to buy a PS3 still.

Strong titles like Devil May Cry and GTA4 will be telling. Expect it to outsell it's PS3 counterpart but then sales on the 360 will stay fairly high while the PS3 version drops significantly the months following release.

but I honestly doubt that many people are buying the PS3 just to have a cheap Blu Ray player.

Actually... I know dozens of people that bought the PS3 for bluray.... it has been after all the, the cheapest bluray player available for a long time. Sony isn't stupid, they planned it this way. They sell more gaming systems this way, even if people aren't playing the games. Now that HD-DVD is over, sales of the PS3 should go up. And they are not all playing games.

I don't know how old you are, but I am in my 30's. The younger generation may not be buying PS3 for bluray. Like I said,I have two Xbox 360's and a wii, I have my gaming covered... I have the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on as well as a stand alone HD-DVD player. I wanted bluray and when I bought it in November, the PS3 was the same price or cheaper than the stand alone players. I'll buy games for it if it is an exclusive, but my main purpose as a movie lover was bluray. I honestly think of my PS3 as one of my movie players first, before I think of it as a gaming console. I am not alone.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)