Is new PS3 MGS4 Bundle enough to get you to buy PS3?

Will you get the new PS3 with MGS4?

• Yes! This game was why I wanted a PS3 and now I can get both in 1!

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I'll get this because it makes economical sense to not buy all separately

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • This does not entice me. I'm happy with what I have.

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No because the current system is still too expensive.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • I already own a PS3. Go away.

Votes: 34 41.0%

• Total voters
If you do not have a ps3 and you like metal gear solid, then its a no brainer to get this bundle

80 gig Ps3 without that game and the DS3 controller is 499 so your basically getting metal gear solid 4 and the new updated controller for free.

If you do not have a ps3 and you like metal gear solid, then its a no brainer to get this bundle

80 gig Ps3 without that game and the DS3 controller is 499 so your basically getting metal gear solid 4 and the new updated controller for free.

Kinda... it's just an upgraded bundle. Swapping MGS for Motorstorm and the SIXAXIS for the DS3... technically just saving $5 since the DS3 is that much more than the SIXAXIS. The Motorstorm bundle has been out since August.... so at this point it's the 'we're making money on this SKU' bundle.

Granted you can't go and build this bundle yourself, so your point is still valid, just different ways to look at it.

I just found a new thing listed on Amazon.com in terms of product features:
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 game
  • Dualshock 3 Controller
  • Voucher for free downloadable Pain game
  • Blu-ray player
  • 80GB HDD
Anyone know what this "Pain" thing is?

Ok I almost screamed when I saw this bundle because I thought this was replacing the bundle I mentioned earlier, but apparently Konami, in what I believe has to be a test of the MGS4 fans' intelligence, has announced this new bundle:

Konami - Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition PLAYSTATION®3 Bundle

3 things distinguish this from the previously announced bundle:

1. This comes with the Limited Edition MGS4, as opposed to the standard one.
2. This has a 40GB HD as opposed to 80GB.
3. This cost $599, as opposed to $499.

Also this seems to only be available via Konami.com. Just for comparison, if you don't mind a more standard looking PS3, it is cheaper for you to get the $499 bundle with the bigger HD and to go out and buy the limited edition MGS4 at Gamestop ($84.99) than it is to just buy that other bundle.

BTW, the new PS3 Limited Edition MGS4 looks really neat.
But then again, I love my shiny black PS3 more than any other colors :).
Because of my PS3 my whole entertainment center has turned black, except my HR20-700, I don't want to give away OTA for the HR21-700.

BTW, the new PS3 Limited Edition MGS4 looks really neat.
But then again, I love my shiny black PS3 more than any other colors :).
Because of my PS3 my whole entertainment center has turned black, except my HR20-700, I don't want to give away OTA for the HR21-700.

I also forgot to mention that the Limited Edition version does not have backwards compatibility. That seems very odd that they would take that away. I mean if they weren't still producing PS2 games I would understand this more, but Sony has always been good about backwards compatibility, so I don't know why they would change this.

Of course this doesn't affect my decision considering I still have a working PS2 and only 1 game for it, but I find Sony's configuration decisions to be quite odd. I mean by getting the cheaper bundle (MGS4), not only will I get a bigger HDD and PS2 emulation, but (assuming they're using the current 80GB configurations) I'll also get more USB ports, Flash Card Readers, and SACD support.

Ya, that sucks. I expected the scarcity/disappearance of the 80gb bundle was to drive interest in these new MGS bundles. Now it turns out it's absence seems to just make this new bundle look like less of a rip off. $100 markup to upgrade the controller, include a game, and have a different finish to the console :(.

I've long seen the 40gb as the Blu-Ray offering, and the 80gb as the gamers console. This was further reinforced by bundling a movie with the 40gb, and a game with the 80gb. Before the 80 was seemingly phased out, this quietly stopped happening, and now they're bundled with nothing. Again, just makes this MGS bundle appear to have more value.

Still nothing compelling to make me ditch my XBox 360....
Well anyone who DITCHES one system for the other is just dumb. I have no intention of using my 360 as a doorstop once the PS3 arrives, and when games are released for both systems, unless the PS3 version has a tangible difference in quality over the 360, I'll be defaulting to the 360 versions of games.

As I said before, I always planned on buying a PS3 when I felt the time was right, and to me, a package with the extra storage, backwards compatibility, a game I've been waiting for being released, as well as the new controller AND the newly accepted HD video format playing ability, I feel like now is the time.

I'm starting to get more psyched now with the BD ability of the player. After watching quite a bit of HD movies on TV, I look forward to seeing less blocks and blurring and stuttering in my movies.

Sorry, I misspoke.....

Since I was never a big playstation fan (I hate those controllers), I survived the PS2 while missing out on Final Fantasy, GTA, and a few other franchises that might have turned my head.....

It seems like a sort of detente is breaking out with the market expanding enough so that all three systems can flourish..... Nintendo seems happy with huge hardware sales and casual software sales with their usual first party support keeping the faithful happy. Sony and MS fanboys keep slugging it out, maybe fearful that the market has to destroy one or the other for the other to flourish. I still haven't seen Sony regain the #1 position it once had, but it seems happy to jockey month to month with MS to claim the hardcore fans.

But to get back to your original quote, I didn't mean to infer that you had to ditch one to adopt the other, but I already have a BluRay player (The Samsung Duo that plays DVD/HD DVD/BluRay) so there isn't anything compelling for me. Most of their category killers have been getting yawns from XPlay and other game review outlets. So therefore, there is nothing compelling me to grab one. Bottom line, it SEEMS like the lines will stay drawn where they are, but there must be a few MGS fans that have been waiting to make the switch, just as there were many who did the same before Halo3 came out on the MS side..... It will be interesting to see how the numbers play out.....

Sorry, I misspoke.....

Since I was never a big playstation fan (I hate those controllers), I survived the PS2 while missing out on Final Fantasy, GTA, and a few other franchises that might have turned my head.....

It seems like a sort of detente is breaking out with the market expanding enough so that all three systems can flourish..... Nintendo seems happy with huge hardware sales and casual software sales with their usual first party support keeping the faithful happy. Sony and MS fanboys keep slugging it out, maybe fearful that the market has to destroy one or the other for the other to flourish. I still haven't seen Sony regain the #1 position it once had, but it seems happy to jockey month to month with MS to claim the hardcore fans.

But to get back to your original quote, I didn't mean to infer that you had to ditch one to adopt the other, but I already have a BluRay player (The Samsung Duo that plays DVD/HD DVD/BluRay) so there isn't anything compelling for me. Most of their category killers have been getting yawns from XPlay and other game review outlets. So therefore, there is nothing compelling me to grab one. Bottom line, it SEEMS like the lines will stay drawn where they are, but there must be a few MGS fans that have been waiting to make the switch, just as there were many who did the same before Halo3 came out on the MS side..... It will be interesting to see how the numbers play out.....
I think for now my PS3 will mainly be used to play MGS4, play movies, and browse the web (assuming it plays YouTube videos better than my Wii does.) My next big purchase will likely be God of War 3. I LOVED playing those games. If only Greek Mythology had been that interesting..

Sony should have made the next big step and released all the previous MGS games for DL on their network. Granted they would have been rather hefty DLs, but why not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts