Is our Glorystar Dish really aimed at a Dish Elevation of 30.3 degrees?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We have signal quality!!!

Within 10 minutes of my last post, my husband started to get hits on the quality. He peaked at a signal level of 90 with a signal quality fluctuating between 75 and 79.

Those numbers look very close to what I show on 97W. I have a 36" dish too but only one LNB so my numbers are a couple points higher.

We've updated the firmware using the directions and file found in this thread. I've attached a screen shot. I'm assuming our equipment is now squared away?

visionsat-145-firmware.jpg

We rescanned for all FTA channels and found 143, pretty close to what we had before.

Our next big hurdle is wiring. Right now the only way to watch the FTA satellite is to sit outside beside the dish with the little 13 inch TV we used for finding the signal. Not much fun in February in the Pacific Northwest.

My husband has done extensive CAT5 and coax wiring for our existing ethernet and OTA antenna, with splitters/punch down block and a power booster. He has no experience with satellite wiring.

Are there any sticky threads dedicated to wiring info or other recommended sites we should check out? We have 5 TV's - for starters I'd like to have him run wire for two of them with the option later on to add a few more TVs to the mix.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

We've updated the firmware using the directions and file found in this thread. I've attached a screen shot. I'm assuming our equipment is now squared away?
yep looks good

If your husband has ran coax for OTA, then he can do FTA with no problem. Just use good RG6 coax with compression connectors for best results. Lots of wiring info here - http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/134124-switch-setups-simplified.html

The Visionsat is a great receiver. The PVR feature works great too. I just use a 16 gig thumb drive for the little bit of recording I do. And as Iceberg said, those signal readings are about right too.

And :welcome to SatelliteGuys!

First recommendation from me is to run 2 - RG-6 from the dish into the house - or 4 if you want both satellites on the Glorystar system. Then you can run a bunch of receivers and tvs off the system. With only one and one receiver you will only get one channel to all 5 tvs...

But what is it you want to do? Multi receivers will also mean the dual output bullets from Satellite AV - Glorystar

POP

getting the most from what ya got

...Our next big hurdle is wiring.

...My husband has done extensive CAT5 and coax wiring for our existing ethernet and OTA antenna, with splitters/punch down block and a power booster.
He has no experience with satellite wiring.

We have 5 TV's - for starters I'd like to have him run wire for two of them with the option later on to add a few more TVs to the mix.
Are we talking about getting the signal from the dish to multiple satellite receivers , one in each room.
If so, the link above to the Switches Simplified FAQ should be helpful.

If you want to take the signal out of your one Visionsat and feed multiple TV sets, then your husband probably already has all the experience needed.

The different satellite sources have widly varying picture quality.
But to see the best of what they offer, I'd recommend the Svideo or Component video outputs of the receiver.
Composite would be my last choice... and the RF output wouldn't be a choice at all. ;)

The wiring will have to run outside, under the front and side porch, and must be flexible enough to add a 7 foot C-band dish that's sitting in pieces in our garage. I twisted my husband's arm to pick it up for free late last summer. Knowing nothing about satellite systems yet wanting a happy wife, he said he was more comfortable starting with a Ku size dish on our small suburban lot before tackling the seven footer. Hence the Glorystar maiden voyage of the past week.

I admit venturing into satellite TV is way more important to me right now than it is to him. Frankly, he thinks I've lost my mind.

To keep him happy so the project moves forward, he needs a logical, expandable wiring system that will give a good signal considering how long the wire runs will be as well as eventually powering both the C-band and Ku with motors. We also plan on having a receiver at each TV site.

It is more important to my husband to do it right the first time with correct parts, rather than ripping out and making due as we go along.

The rough sketch diagrams show a C-band dish eventually on the right side of our lot. The Ku dish will be on the second floor. We haven't decided yet on Site A or Site B for its location. Site A has better LOS for satellites falling below 82W and Site B has much easier maintenance access, both upstairs and where we could put a junction box below.

We are hoping we can combine the signals from the Ku and C-band dishes at some sort of junction area before running the RG6 to each TV location.

As I said, we are just starting out on the wiring phase so any suggestions or links to good wiring info are appreciated.

Satellite-Wiring-Diagram-1.jpgSatellite-Wiring-Diagram-2.jpg

Pacific NW is a small part of the nation, yet bigger than some states.... Approximately what part of PNW is home to you? We were at Swamp Creek hollow (near S. Everett) for over 30 years, 1600 feet east of the well. If I was there still, it would probably be a short trip to help youif you needed it - but I do not think you will!

With those distances, you should have no problems with cabling. In most of the PNW one dish with two dual output lnbs on the KU dish will be OK. Not too much wind and good signal path. As the addiction --eerr - HOBBY gets stronger, you will use both A and B as well as ----- OK I have 6 KU dishes set up to run but I do have wind problems. Plan on using switches. Run the cables as if you were going to hook them up. Then buy only the switches you need to use to start. To get started you 'might' want to use one receiver for 2 tvs, but if you want to easiest run, I would go with two receivers, getting the setup going with one, then continuing with the second box.
I can not go to the switches simplified page, but there is a fabulous switch discussion there. Four cables from the KU dish to the Jbox site. Figure on using the switch that comes with the Glorystar setup, maybe get a second one if you need it, or go ahead and get the multi-switch now so you can just add the cabling for receivers 3 thru 8 later. I can not remember how they call out the switches, so I say 4 lnb outputs to 8 receiver inputs. Is that a 4X8 or 8X4 -- I can not remember! 'Nuf for now.
POP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)