Is PS3 really more expensive then XBOX360?

Bob, Why do you call the Xbox360 Core System the braindead version? You can still play the games on it.

XBox Live Arcade - DISABLED
XBox Live Marketplace - DISABLED (OK, MAYBE you could fit the Oblivion Horse Armor on a Memory Pak)
Wireless Controller - NOT INCLUDED
HDTV Output Capability - DISABLED (You have to buy the HD Cables separate)
Custom Soundtracks - DISABLED (Unless you count one song saved on a memory pak sufficient)
Game Updates - DISABLED (Hmmm. Did Core Owners get the recent dashboard update? I don't know, how that info is stored, whether it is hardwired in like firmware or there is some other storage method.)

What do you get? Low Res Video, non Dolby Digital stereo sound, with a wired controller, and limited save game space.

I define that as braindead.

BobMurdoch said:
XBox Live Arcade - DISABLED
XBox Live Marketplace - DISABLED (OK, MAYBE you could fit the Oblivion Horse Armor on a Memory Pak)
Wireless Controller - NOT INCLUDED
HDTV Output Capability - DISABLED (You have to buy the HD Cables separate)
Custom Soundtracks - DISABLED (Unless you count one song saved on a memory pak sufficient)
Game Updates - DISABLED (Hmmm. Did Core Owners get the recent dashboard update? I don't know, how that info is stored, whether it is hardwired in like firmware or there is some other storage method.)

What do you get? Low Res Video,

Wrong. It's *not* the cable that makes resolution high.

rgaines, That might be true for 1080p but not for 1080i. The PS3 will do 1080i over the componet. And if the componet will support the 1080p signal it will do that also(I am not sure if that is really doable}. Seems that Sony has gotten the approval of other movie studios to allow 1080i/p transport over the componet output for at least the next 3 to 5 years.

Seems that the new Blu-Ray movies will intially be out without the HDMI copy protection turned on. However, the movie studios are keeping the rights to include the copy protection on their HD-movies at any time. So for now the PS3 will do 1080 over the componets.

Besides, if any games do it you will be able to do 1080p on the games. There are not alot of tvs that can accept that signal right now on the market -- maybe two or three.

T2k said:
No, it's not.

You couldnt be more wrong. $499 vs $1000.00 is a steal cosidering you get a state of the art game system also. Get your head out of Bill Gate's ass for a second and you might see the light of day. :rolleyes:

That's like saying the ps2 was a good DVD player when they were more expensive than the ps2. Sure, it's cheaper, but you got what you paid for. PS2 DVD playback is horrid. I'd rather watch the movie in Fullscreen SD on tv than watch the widescreen DVD on ps2...

I would hope the ps3 isn't as bad with the blu-ray but they've got to cut corners somewhere, and the ps3 has had a lot of problems so far. I'd love to think it'll be a good blu-ray player but the odds just don't work in it's favor.

Purogamer said:
That's like saying the ps2 was a good DVD player when they were more expensive than the ps2.
Apples and oranges. DVD players were common place and they picked a cheap one. I dont see any cheap Blu ray units to slap in the PS3. By your line of reasoning every product that Dish puts out will suck because one of them sucked.

Last edited:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/22/panasonic_blu_ray_home_theater/

$1000 is for a player such as Samsung's recently launched BD-P1000 is merely the entry-fee into a basic high-definition video experience, at least if we are talking about Blu-ray. Movie enthusiasts that are looking for all that HD can offer these days will be looking at substantially more money: If you are interested in Panasonic's HD idea, you will be looking at about $5300, without a TV that actually can take advantage of all those pixels and sound.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What features do you need if the player does 1080p, supports one of the HD Audio Codecs and has HDMI 1.3. All the PS3 has to do is pass the information off to a HT receiver that can decode 1.3 (they will be out this fall) and the video on to a HD monitor/tv.

What other 'features' do you need?

vurbano said:
You couldnt be more wrong. $499 vs $1000.00 is a steal cosidering you get a state of the art game system also.

Since you've proved many times how utterly and painfully clueless you are on this whole issue, you can imagine how many people will believe you... :D

Get your head out of Bill Gate's ass for a second and you might see the light of day. :rolleyes:

Personal attacks - business as usual: no actual understanding whatsoever, thus no arguments, so you revert to primitive personal attacks.
You're kinda boring, TBH. Come back when you've done at least some crash course on state of the art game systems", ok? :rolleyes:

JoeSp said:
What features do you need if the player does 1080p, supports one of the HD Audio Codecs and has HDMI 1.3. All the PS3 has to do is pass the information off to a HT receiver that can decode 1.3 (they will be out this fall) and the video on to a HD monitor/tv.

What other 'features' do you need?

In a game console? None of these...

The ps2 played DVD's horribly when standalone DVD players were as expensive or more expensive than the ps2. How is it a bad comparison? People bought the ps2 as a dvd player and they've paid for it because the quality was horrible. It was a tacked on feature and it STILL shows even though they could have upgraded it's quality.

Will PS3's blu-ray decoding ability be as good as a standalone? Doubtful, almost impossible. Sony uses the blu-ray drive to hold more media, the fact that it will play blu-ray movies is just a bonus and not a major selling point or focus point on the software front. It's a tacked on feature and based on sony's track record, it will show.

T2k said:
In a game console? None of these...

Are you saying this because you are cheap? Don't know what HDMI 1.3 brings to both high-def video and High def audio? The Xbox360 will never offer any of these (except for a HD-DVD drive with no HDMI for how much $) ?

Tk2, I have noticed in all of your posts that anything negative to say about the PS3 seems to be your domain. You are like the chicken yelling 'The Sky Is Falling, The Sky is Falling'.

Doesn't mean I don't like reading your posts --- just that the bulk of what you say is BS!:)

Purogamer, I agree that the PS3's Blu-Ray ability will not equal that of a $1500 player. You will not get all the bells and whistles of a $1500 Blu-ray player with the PS3. However, with the addition of HDMI 1.3 you can now pass a better video and higher rez audio signal onto your home theater system.

Now, if you purchase a A/V receiver that can decode HDMI 1.3 (they will be out this fall) then it is possible that you will be able to use your PS3 as a very servicable Blu-ray player. The A/V will have to do all the proccessing of video and audio signals. Some of the newer HDMI 1.1 receivers just out are doing just that even offering upscalling of a 480p output from a standard DVD player. Because of this we will see future A/V receivers that will receive the HDMI 1.3 signal and do the processing.

This will make the PS3 Blu-ray as a delivery vehicle only and you will not have to deal with a limited set of adjustments from the PS3. Will this setup rival a higher priced Blu-ray drive? I guess we shall see as both the PS3 and the A/V receivers supporting HDMI 1.3 will be out this fall.

If you're serious about blu-ray, but not willing to spend the $ to be an early adopter, the ps3 would only be the stop-gap much like the ps2 was intended to be. It'll serve your needs until blu-ray players get down to a reasonable price and then you'll replace it. That's it's intention, to help LAUNCH this new medium, not be the torch-bearer for the next 5 years...

Something that everyone IMO is missing about the debate between PS3 and XBOX 360, is that Blu-Ray isn't a proven technology. What are you going to do when you go out and buy a PS3 for $500 just for Blu-Ray, and three months or less--perhaps longer--Blu-Ray goes bye bye.

I wouldn't touch Blu-Ray or HD-DVD until one or the other wins out and becomes the "HD format". The only way I would is if a player played both formats, but XBOX's upcomming external HD-DVD drive nor PS3's internal Blu-Ray drive will play both formats. So for me, the argument about PS3 being a better value because it has a Blu-Ray player, is pointless, because no one knows if Blu-Ray will even be around when PS3 is released, let alone if it will hang on for years and years into the future.

Because it doesn't matter honestly. If it fails, you're not out anything. Early adopters got a standalone, and anyone who buys a ps3 is buying it for the game playing abilities. A year from now, it'll either be the #1 or it'll be dead in the water, so it won't really effect anything.

It would be like PSP, even if the medium fails to get mainstream support, sony will still put all the games on blu-ray because they'll have a stockpile of discs to get rid of anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)