Is Radio Shack hopeless for this hobby, or is it just mine?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
(Old Allied Radio Store customer!)
Allied, Lafayette, Olson. Remember them all. When Radio Shack hit the scene they seemed to a young me to be something less than the others. Realistic always seemed to me the single worst brand name ever conceived.

I did hate the way you had to wait in line to get items at the Allied store in Chicago though.

you have questions, we have blank stares.

Pretty much! When I worked there, they begged me to stay when I left. They make these guys sit and watch a couple of videos on what electronics are and that is it.

Worked for RS one summer during the college years. Was in the top 5 salespersons in LA region after one month and stayed in the top 5 for the next three months. Scary, huh?

The majority of co-workers were technically challenged and would have been better off selling shoes. The ones that knew anything quickly moved on.... The turn-over was incredible! Had managers asking what my secret was as we were in a small strip mall in sleepy Glendale... Told them, I knew what I was selling and how to use the stuff. The mall guys would send customers over to our store for any questions and we would get the sales.

RS was broken even during the 80's! The "you've got questions" campaign made me laugh every time....

We had a whopping two RS here in Casper up until last week. The one closest to my house got the axe.
Still good for the occasional oddball battery and fuses for my multimeter.

If I was the RS CEO, I'd be selling the other stuff no one seems to sell anymore, stuff like quality chemistry sets and supplies, more hobby kits for kids and other quality goodies that Hobby Lobby and toy stores seem to neglect. There's a void that needs to be filled for hobbyists of all interests if they looked hard enough.

For instance, I can't find a quality microscope for my teenagers anywhere. My youngest son needed some chemistry supplies for school. Nothing around here for that. I have to order everything online.

My local Radio Shack is about two blocks away from my house.
If I need something right away, I check the Radio Shack website and see if what I'm looking for is in-stock at my local Radio Shack. I write down the RS part number and walk on over.
I've never had a problem.
Hopefully, it won't be one of the 1000 stores they will be closing.

We used to have a radio shack in our local town back in the late 70's. Was a scary place for me, couldn't leave the place without a handful of electronic components of some sort. They actually sold "radios" and anything electronic and hobby related regarding electronics, which seems to have been much more popular back then. They lasted a couple of years and closed down, not enough business in a small rural town.
These days everyone is interested in the latest gadget that connects them to their personal "interweb" to keep them endlessly fascinated. No one wants to fix these devices, just throw them away and get a "new latest model" every few months. RS's latest motto "I WANT THAT" tells the whole story.

I always get a laugh when I ask one of their employees if they have zener diodes. If you do luck upon one of them that has an idea of what you are looking for, they might even know where the replacement flash light light bulbs are! :)

I was in the local Radio Shack last week. Had to get a cordless phone battery for my grandma. Yeah it probably would have been cheaper to just get a new phone but she was determined to keep the phone. So I write down the part number and go in. The "employee" asked me if I needed help.
Said "nope just need a cordless phone battery. A 23-896"
the guy says "are you sure thats the right part"

really???? I wrote down the damn part number.

than he tried to pitch me on the cell phone. I said "I'm from Canada eh. You cant help me" :D

When I was at a local Best Buy last week, an employee asked me if I needed help. The manager, who is a friend of mine from high school, laughed and told the employee "Oh, he's way beyond help!" :)

When I was at a local Best Buy last week, an employee asked me if I needed help.

wait...you mean a BB employee actually came up to you and asked if you needed help?
The one I use to go to if you walked towards them they would run away as if you were a little kid with a paternity suit in your hand

attachment.php

Attachments

• acidpicdump64.jpg
    acidpicdump64.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 227
Last time I was at radio shack someone was telling their life story, I put the item I had in my hands back on the shelf and left, other times before that incident I noticed if they are setting up a cellphone for someone don't plan on checking out, put your stuff back, leave, go home and order it online from some where else, I use parts express for electronic parts, and I believe there is many coax connecters/ends offered, amongst other interesting parts. Radio shack is useless unless you're there to get a cellphone.

It helps to research your needed item before you go in. Cross reference the item at the Radio Shack website to make sure you are speaking their language and to verify in store availability.

RS: Hello, how can I help you today?
ME: I need a 10K ohm linear taper potentiometer with a ¼ shaft and some rosin core solder.
RS: Uh… OK, let me see if…
ME: I know where they are, thanks.

I always pay in cash, this way I can remain anonymous and not get the inquisition at the register (name, address, shoe size).

It helps to research your needed item before you go in. Cross reference the item at the Radio Shack website to make sure you are speaking their language and to verify in store availability.
so true. But even then that store may not have it and then they look clueless
I remember when I moved into my apartment I stopped at the local one and asked "where are the outdoor tv antennas?"
The dimwit took me to the rabbit ears

I always pay in cash, this way I can remain anonymous and not get the inquisition at the register (name, address, shoe size).
they haven't done that in years. Its only needed on returns

Yes Radio Shack is hopeless

I have a thread in the pub that I'm looking for a good/cheap pre-paid/no contract phone service. So I posted this today about my adventure in Rat Shack....

Well its official.....I talked to the DUMBEST person on earth

Stopped by the Cell Shack (Radio SHack) to pick up something. So for grins I asked the guy about pre-paid. I said "I have Sprint now so I want to get away from them"
He pulls out a Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile booklet. I said "both run on Sprint"

I walk over to the AT&T and Verizon ones and he says this
"ALL PRE-PAID PHONES USE SPRINT SERVICE REGARDLESS IF ITS VERIZON, AT&T, VIRGIN, T-MOBILE OR RADIO SHACK".
I said "no they dont. They use their own networks which is the same as a contract phone
He again tells me that the contract phones use Verizon, AT&T, Sprint & T-Mobile but the no contract ones ONLY use Sprint

Talk about someone who is trying to get a sale, Sad part? He was a manager!

I went to the Verizon store and talked with the manager there. They dont have the phones in stock (they have to order) and recommended like Best Buy or Wal-Mart for the pre-paid phones. I told him the story that I just heard and even he thought that was funny (he did tell me the network is the same regardless if the phone is prepaid or contract)

I could remember a time when Rat Shack sold Ham Radio gear. They use to have an online store that was a spin off from their normal consumer store. They sold a lot of MFJ stuff. But yes...Radio Shack has gone down hill. Mostly kids working there selling cell phone plans, and they don't seem to know anything about what they sell in their electronics components section, or the lack of parts there now. There once was a time that the name "Radio Shack", meant the quick stop for us nerds to get parts on the fly.....

Ham Nerd

I applied to work there several times they turned me down said I wasn't qualified enough to sell phones. I asked the kid about cb radios had no clue I thought I know about cb radios and you turned me down for job. I am glad they went out of business here in town. I asked about a diseque switch had no clue. They told me that a smart phone wouldn't operate without a data plan BS I said I have one right now not charging me a thing than just voice minutes. Why would have it then I said there is wifi and other uses.

I could remember a time when Rat Shack sold Ham Radio gear. They use to have an online store that was a spin off from their normal consumer store. They sold a lot of MFJ stuff. But yes...Radio Shack has gone down hill. Mostly kids working there selling cell phone plans, and they don't seem to know anything about what they sell in their electronics components section, or the lack of parts there now. There once was a time that the name "Radio Shack", meant the quick stop for us nerds to get parts on the fly.....

Ham Nerd

yup. I worked for Radio Shack from 1993-1997 and sold a lot of geek parts to folks.
A couple years ago I applied to work there again (didnt happen...long story) and talking with the manager at one of the stores they said its mainly cell phones you will deal with and not parts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts