is replacing 3-LNB dish with 5-LNB simple?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SteveB2

Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Just ordered my 5-LNB dish and HD-DVR upgrade from DirecTV, but installation not available till Feb. Since I already have a 3-LNB dish with all cabling installed, is the 5-LNB basically just plug and play so I could possibly do it myself? Alternatively, should I cancel the DirecTV order and do the upgrades thru a local DirecTV installer instead (Sacramento area)?

Thanks,
Steve

The only problem would be alining the dish to receive all the correct signals. I would waite and let the pro installer do it right the first time. If you already have the new HR20/21 you can install then in place of the SD one and call and activate it and use it till the dish gets insatlled, you just won't get all the HD channels.

i installed my own 5 lnb dish the other day w/o any signal finders using only the receiver for sat signal, contrary to what i have read it really wasn't a whole lot harder than the 3 lnb as far as alignment, mounting however is a bit trickier as it is a fair bit larger and heavier.

Thanks for the replies. I did a little searching and came to the conclusion that the mounting part is probably a little trickier than I want to deal with, especially up on a 2nd story roof. I did manage to find a local installer that says he can put up a slimline 5-LNB for about $100, and within a day or two of me calling him, so I think that's the route I'll go.

Steve

No its a pain in the a@@ and will probably take 2 service calls to get it aimed right. At least that was my experience.

Thanks for the replies. I did a little searching and came to the conclusion that the mounting part is probably a little trickier than I want to deal with, especially up on a 2nd story roof. I did manage to find a local installer that says he can put up a slimline 5-LNB for about $100, and within a day or two of me calling him, so I think that's the route I'll go.

Steve
You would rather pay $ 100 , than wait and have it done free ?
You can call your local installer (D* will tell you who is yours if you ask) call them and see if you can get on thier cancellation list, if someone cancels, they will do your much sooner.

btw, is the roof the only option for you ?

I have installed several without any problems, sigs all in the 90's

Well, DirecTV would be charging me $99 for the installation, so not much difference there. But yes, given that right now I'm only getting one sat on my 3-LNB dish - which originally took 2 separate 8+ hour install visits from 2 different DirecTV installers due to the incompetence of the 1st installer - and the fact that this guy will give me an install date right away, as opposed to having to wait for a cancellation - I have no problem paying $100 extra (assuming the guy does a decent job of course).

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)