is S video cable worth it...

sg9999

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I have 2 tv s on 1 receiver with rg6 coax. One of the tv s is a 20 ft run.
Do people think running S video cable is worth it, I dont have HD but my Toshibas
are wired for it of course. Can I get a splitter for S Video ..??? general comments??

I have 2 tv s on 1 receiver with rg6 coax. One of the tv s is a 20 ft run.
Do people think running S video cable is worth it, I dont have HD but my Toshibas
are wired for it of course. Can I get a splitter for S Video ..??? general comments??

What receiver? Is this a single tuner SD receiver, ala 301?

Yes, you can get better video with an s-video cable as this allows a high bandwidth signal. However, DISH is compressed enough that you may not notice it. I would try a side by side comparison with composite and s-video on the closest receiver and decide if it is worth the hassle.

Yes, they make splitters. Here is one for about $2.50 from monoprice:
For only $1.64 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Video Splitter - S-Video to 2 x S-Video (MDIN4M/MDIN4F X2) Splitter | Video Splitter From S-Video

They also make a powered composite or s-video input (don't use both) with 4 outputs of both. It includes distribution for the audio, too. I think it from RS but it's behind the cabinet right now.

Of course, with composite in or out you really don't get full output. Watch out for any loads that have a voltage on them as the louse up the others--symptom: the black level is grey or too black.
-Ken

I have never seen S-Video to be that much better.

I'm going to be the odd man out and say just use the Coax. Its no longer worth the effort to make SD look better when HD is out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)