Is S506 the most recent Software version?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gizbug

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Chicago, IL
Running Hopper with Sling, and noticed the update is S506 dated 7/8/2014. Seems like so long ago. Has dish slowed down on updates, or am I not getting the most recent update?

They have been working on doing a software update for months. That could mean that when they do release it , it will fix a lot of existing bugs and add a few new features, or it could be one big screw up that we will regret for months to come. It's a 50 /50 chance of either scenario happening.

Rumors that keep popping up here is that the new update is said to fix a lot of the bugs people complain about. Such as the OTA recording bug. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
The Hopper without Sling has been on S440 for quite a while as well.... Even that build was a quick, minor update as well - there was a release sent out (can't recall number), S338 quickly followed it, some got S339, and everyone should be settled on S440 currently.

IF DISH would fix that one ota bug : sub channel name based recording, I would be very happy. But, I still think that the glitches and software bugs introduced in previous software versions should be fixed FIRST, before they introduce any more new features or applications. It makes the hopper look bad when it can't do basic things, like name based recording for sub channels or be able to protect a show and have it show a P for protect . Right now you can protect all you want ,but you can still easily delete it .

Reactions: Tron2012
I didn't think that was the purpose of that feature. I thought it was there to protect recordings from being deleted by the system when limits were reached or the DVR was full....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think that was the purpose of that feature. I thought it was there to protect recordings from being deleted by the system when limits were reached or the DVR was full....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 722 it will protect your recordings with your lock PIN. They should bring that back.

Reactions: Tron2012
I never knew that. On my 622 I could always delete protected recordings without unprotecting them, but I never had anything on the system locked.

The manual reads

Protect—You can choose to protect this timer’s recordings from accidental erasure

I would interpret "accidental" to refer to a person deleting a recording, not the DVR doing it.

On my 622 I could always delete protected recordings without unprotecting them
Did you have parental controls set up at all ? I thought the 'protect' recordings function got tied into it by using the PIN. In fact, if you tried to protect something without parental controls, it would make you do that, otherwise they really weren't protected.

Did you have parental controls set up at all ? I thought the 'protect' recordings function got tied into it by using the PIN. In fact, if you tried to protect something without parental controls, it would make you do that, otherwise they really weren't protected.

I didn't have parental controls set up, but I'm sure I didn't have to do anything extra to protect recordings either. Like I said, I never knew it did anything other than protect them from being deleted automatically to reclaim disk space.

I didn't have parental controls set up, but I'm sure I didn't have to do anything extra to protect recordings either. Like I said, I never knew it did anything other than protect them from being deleted automatically to reclaim disk space.

Same here.

Not on the 722 I had, unless it was added recently (with in the last year).

Dan
It's been there a long time. You had to create a PIN in the Locks menu for it to take effect. Even my DVR 625 had that functionality.

I didn't have parental controls set up, but I'm sure I didn't have to do anything extra to protect recordings either.
It's been there a long time. You had to create a PIN in the Locks menu for it to take effect. Even my DVR 625 had that functionality.
Yeap, I'm not 100% certain because I've always had to enable parental controls for some reason or another (blocking channels, restricting PPVs, etc). I've protected a recording a few times and think that deleting it required entering the PIN. Without parental controls, I don't know how they'd add that extra level of protection.

Yes you are right. I had this function on my older 722k. You could protect all your shows with a pin code and it worked well. The hopper has lacked that feature since we got a bad update months ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts