Is Sci-Fi HD and USA HD going to happen?

Darkhunter

Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
I cant get any answer out of Dish and I know it's been mentioned here a bit but I am wondering if this is going to happen with in the next month?

Channel launches are announced once contracts are signed. It is impossible to state when a channel will be launched while negotiations are ongoing.

Channel launches are announced once contracts are signed. It is impossible to state when a channel will be launched while negotiations are ongoing.

So do you know for a fact that negotiations are ongoing with these new hd channels?:)

I cant get any answer out of Dish and I know it's been mentioned here a bit but I am wondering if this is going to happen with in the next month?

You're not going to get an accurate answer out of Dish until they want to announce the channels. Oh, you'll get answers to your questions from CSRs, for example, they just won't be accurate (you'll be lucky if they're in an understandable form of English).

No one knows for sure if those two are EVER going to happen, let alone within the next month. However, the fact that they are apparently uplinked and taking up good space on 110 SEEMS to point to them being turned on, eventually, as opposed to being like InHD and MSG-HD and FSNY-HD which might NEVER show up, at least not in my lifetime.

=NLK=

You're not going to get an accurate answer out of Dish until they want to announce the channels. Oh, you'll get answers to your questions from CSRs, for example, they just won't be accurate (you'll be lucky if they're in an understandable form of English).

No one knows for sure if those two are EVER going to happen, let alone within the next month. However, the fact that they are apparently uplinked and taking up good space on 110 SEEMS to point to them being turned on, eventually, as opposed to being like InHD and MSG-HD and FSNY-HD which might NEVER show up, at least not in my lifetime.

=NLK=

How long have they been uplinked?

How long have they been uplinked?
Technically, they're not really uplinked, or at least it doesn't look that way. There are entries in the tables bearing the names SCIFI and USA in the HD channel range that show as MPEG4 HD. However, both channels are running an identical constant bitrate indicative of a slate. There's nothing to indicate that there's any actual content there.

Technically, they're not really uplinked, or at least it doesn't look that way. There are entries in the tables bearing the names SCIFI and USA in the HD channel range that show as MPEG4 HD. However, both channels are running an identical constant bitrate indicative of a slate. There's nothing to indicate that there's any actual content there.

Now THAT would make more sense. We've all inferred that the two channels could be "close" because they're occupying valuable transponder space. I'm not tech-savvy but if you're correct then it may just be that the space they're "occupying" isn't scarce at all; i.e. Dish may not have anything to put in there anyway.

=NLK=

Now THAT would make more sense. We've all inferred that the two channels could be "close" because they're occupying valuable transponder space. I'm not tech-savvy but if you're correct then it may just be that the space they're "occupying" isn't scarce at all; i.e. Dish may not have anything to put in there anyway.

=NLK=

Seems like I've answered this question over and over with the same people ;)

SciFi and USA HD that are not available are occupying space on 110. They are indeed taking up a valuable slot on 110 CONUS. It is correct that they are only running at 4 megabits each. Their left over bandwidth is being used by the other 4 PPV HD channels. Once content is fed over to the uplink side of the encoder it will adjust the bitrates based on their priorities and content. Just because they are on 110, I have a feeling they will be activated as soon as the ink is scribbled on the dotted line.

I am not paying anymore than the $20 that I am already paying for HD. I want SciFi and USA, but enough is enough. I will do without more HD before I pay Dish another dime.

Seems like I've answered this question over and over with the same people ;)

SciFi and USA HD that are not available are occupying space on 110. They are indeed taking up a valuable slot on 110 CONUS. It is correct that they are only running at 4 megabits each. Their left over bandwidth is being used by the other 4 PPV HD channels. Once content is fed over to the uplink side of the encoder it will adjust the bitrates based on their priorities and content. Just because they are on 110, I have a feeling they will be activated as soon as the ink is scribbled on the dotted line.

It's tough being an expert. :)

But the question remains: is there a pressing need for those two slots? What do you think they would put there otherwise, aside from HDPPV?

That speaks to whether Dish would like to activate SciFi/USA-HD quickly or is just parking them there "in case".

=NLK=

Would they just get rid of the HD PPV bandwidth hoggers and get the channels already.

Get a HD DVD or Blue Ray if you want to rent.

I think I might finally order a ppv

a $4.99 ppv is a lot cheaper than a $34.99 blu ray disc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts