Please reply by conversation.

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
Two development over the past 24hrs:

1. Signals are now being transmitted from D11

2. Some channel shifting. The 200's HBO and SHOWTIME are now gone with messages indicating to go to the 80s versions.

Could something be up?

Maybe they are finally starting to phase out Mpeg2. I'm sure what ever it is ,Its not a bad thing. Maybe D* can get another channel or 2 out of the D10 satellite by removing some of those doubles. I doubt the D11 is coming into play yet though. Maybe in a month yet.

I don't understand why they're removing the mappings to the HD feeds in the 500s. If you're browsing the guide it makes much more sense to have the HD channel near the rest of the premiums. Having HD mapped together is good, but map it to where the channels would naturally be anyway. I want HD to be seamlessly integrated. I don't find HD to watch just because I want HD. I find it to watch because of the content of the programming.

I don't understand why they're removing the mappings to the HD feeds in the 500s. If you're browsing the guide it makes much more sense to have the HD channel near the rest of the premiums. Having HD mapped together is good, but map it to where the channels would naturally be anyway. I want HD to be seamlessly integrated. I don't find HD to watch just because I want HD. I find it to watch because of the content of the programming.
Maybe D* will add HBO Comedy or HBO Zone? That would be a good option for the 509 channel spot.

Two development over the past 24hrs:

1. Signals are now being transmitted from D11

2. Some channel shifting. The 500's HBO and SHOWTIME are now gone with messages indicating to go to the 80s versions.

Could something be up?
By the way my SD DVR R16 is showing the same message about 509 and 543. What gives? Why is my R16 showing this when its a SD receiver. Makes me wonder if my SD receiver can show an HD channel why do we need special receivers?

By the way my SD DVR R16 is showing the same message about 509 and 543. What gives? Why is my R16 showing this when its a SD receiver. Makes me wonder if my SD receiver can show an HD channel why do we need special receivers?
perhaps its an SD message

Slates are usually put up as SD channels.. saves a bunch of overhead bandwidth. When the put up the slates they may have just queued them for everyone.

Maybe they are finally starting to phase out Mpeg2. I'm sure what ever it is ,Its not a bad thing. Maybe D* can get another channel or 2 out of the D10 satellite by removing some of those doubles. I doubt the D11 is coming into play yet though. Maybe in a month yet.

They're just mappings to the same feed. Removing a couple of the mappings unfortunately doesn't free up any bandwidth.

To add to pdxsam answer to Hemi's question, even if HBO East MPEG2 was replaced by a new MPEG4 version, it wouldn't free up any bandwidth on D10 as HBO East and all of the channels in the 70s aren't on D10. They are spread out over the older satellites. This is why older receivers like the HR10-250 can get the channels in the 70s and new receivers don't need the BBCs to see the channels in the 70 range.

But 501 and 537 point to the HD versions (at least on all of the newer receivers and recorders) so 509 and 543 were unnecessary. So you can still channel surf without having to switch to the lower channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)