Is SportsTime Ohio now part of the Sports Pack?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Getting STO here in Virginia (WASH DC area)

Im a big Indians fan myself. I get the sports package and MLB EI. STO is on right now. Showing a show about Casey Blake. D* should go ahead and let this channel be added. If you pay for it....Show every team!! Regardless of RSN bull crap! D* need to get it together!!!

If you pay for it....Show every team!! Regardless of RSN bull crap! D* need to get it together!!!

Again.... They would LOVE to, but it is NOT up to them at all, nodda, zero, zilch. They take the zips / areas as provided by each league; who make their own rules; the carriage contracts make sure the DBS companies abide/enforce those lines.

Somewhat similar to DMA's look what happens when they DO NOT enforce the rules (Dish) they can lose them all together and we DO NOT want that at all. Maybe one day leagues and DMAs will wise up and open it all up, but I bet not in my lifetime.

Has anyone that has the RSN package, called D* and asked them about it? If you have the RSN package, I would think you should get STO for sure. I would be interested in hearing what they have to say as to the reason you are blacked out from ALL STO programing, while you are an RSN subscriber. Living in or out of their market shouldn't matter.

Here's what I think is happening. When D* entered into its contract with STO, it agreed to pay a highter rate for subscribers located within the Tribe's television territory. To save money, D* excluded certain parts of the Tribe territory from STO, so even though I can now watch it on Long Island, people in Toledo, western NY, Erie Pa., etc. can't because D* would have to pay STO more money for them.

You guys in those areas need to flood D* with phone call and e-mails to get coverage. Maybe you can get a local newspaper's sports reporter interested. That's the kind of pressure it will take to get them to cough up the cash to give you coverage.

Here's what I think is happening. When D* entered into its contract with STO, it agreed to pay a highter rate for subscribers located within the Tribe's television territory. To save money, D* excluded certain parts of the Tribe territory from STO, so even though I can now watch it on Long Island, people in Toledo, western NY, Erie Pa., etc. can't because D* would have to pay STO more money for them.

You guys in those areas need to flood D* with phone call and e-mails to get coverage. Maybe you can get a local newspaper's sports reporter interested. That's the kind of pressure it will take to get them to cough up the cash to give you coverage.

Bosco, I'm in the same boat as you. I live in ZIP 16701 which according to MLB is within the Indians broadcast territory. Just checked and my receiver also shows the Programming not Avail in your area message.

GPG hit it right in the head. This is exactly what D* last season just to get the Indians on the air. I was told that by someone in the main office, not a CSR. I wonder if D* has reached a new agreement and hasn't updated their database yet.

I can't wait to see this year of Phillies games on ESPN will be blacked out in my area this year like last. BTW Zip 16701 is Bradford PA, 80 miles due south of Buffalo NY.

I am in zip 10461 (according to D* anyway), and I have always had all programming on STO blacked out - it is turned on right now, showing some sort of high school basketball. I'm not sure when it was turned on, because I had given up looking (I tried to record a Mets/Indians ST game a few weeks ago, and it was still blacked out at that point).

I wrote this email to Directv today and received an answer. Looks like a ray of hope for next year's season :

Subject SportsTime Ohio
Customer 03/24/2007 09:26 AM

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name:
[Account Number:
[Phone Number: Email Address:
[Topic Selected: Sports]

Details:

Please explain to me why I cannot watch the Cleveland Indians on Directv.

I reside in the "Indians market" as defined by Major League Baseball, yet cannot get STO on Directv. Because I am "in the market" I cannot even watch the games on your Extra Innings Package, because this is for only "out of market games". I cannot even watch on the Major League Baseball's internet paysite because I reside "in the market". I am either "in the market" or "out of the market" ...I can't be both.

I am planning on sending a letter to my US Senator Charles Schumer, expalining this injustice to all Indians fans that reside in western New York . I am sure that he will investigate this.

I expect an answer on this, and don't say that it is SportsTime Ohio's fault as I have talked to them on the telephone and it is not their decision.

If a incomplete answer is received the letter to my US Senator will be sent.

Thank You

Response (Ashly W) 03/24/2007 02:26 PM
Dear Mr. ,

Thanks for writing about the Cleveland Indians and SportsTime Ohio (STO). I'm sorry that you couldn't watch last weekend's games on STO and I apologize for the delay in our response.

We assign regional sports networks by ZIP code, and I have confirmed that your ZIP Code, 14063, is not part of our STO coverage area.

Since you are considered out of the market area for STO, you would be unable to watch the games on the STO channel.

By no later than the start of the 2008 MLB Season we will be providing coverage of STO to the entire Cleveland Indians home team territory.

We will have more details as they become available.

Since you live in an area where we aren't offering SportsTime Ohio, the games that they show will also not be available to you in the MLB Extra Innings Package.

I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

I know this can be frustrating, and that blackout rules can be somewhat confusing, but I hope you understand that sports blackouts and game availability are controlled by the leagues, sports associations, and networks that purchase the rights to broadcast individual games.

To protect their rights, we must enforce the blackouts and availability mandated by them. Visit directvsports.com/blackouts for answers to the most frequently asked questions about sports blackouts. I hope you'll find this information helpful.

Thanks again for writing. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Ashly, U9994
DIRECTV Customer Service

Members if you wish to email Directv about this to show your concern : www.directv.com/email

If I understand that correctly, their contract now allows broadcast to a portion of the Indians home area, but not all of the area. I think this came from when STO started up.

They are saying to start 2008, they can broadcast to the entire area. I know the Indians area extends into several states, and the carriage cost was probally a factor when STO started, as it was a new network, part-time, games only at the time.

bosco, try this.....call or email someone high up the food chain at STO and explain your problem with d*. if this network is worth their salt, someone will contact d* and straighten them out.

i had to do this with hdnet's twice weekly hockey games, d* wasn't showing me. there lame excuse....it was a regional broadcast and i needed center ice. after contacting mark cuban and his cohorts, the problem was resolved in less than a week!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts