Is Stern worth his millions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Why do all these morning shows insist on the couple dudes/1 chick thing, and then sit around talking about how they're hipper than howard...The first time it failed should have been enough no? Every new show is like this and it's been this way for years, where's the creativity...

...nevermind, just remembered what we were talking about...

Rovers coming to 97.1 fm here in detroit, I havent listened to terestrial radio since I got my starmate on the 23rd except to listen to the local am news for traffic.

Rover, Duji and whatever the twit's name is who always messes himself up to get on the news...they suck...terrible morning show...

No doubt Sirius has added a lot of subscribers in the last year. But, the real question is -- how many of them joined up because of Howard Stern? If anyone has a link to a story speculating about the answer to that question, I'd be interested to see it.

As another poster pointed out, Stern's well publicized departure from the public airwaves has given a ton of exposure to satellite radio in general, whether it be XM or Sirius. That is valuable in itself. But, it would be interesting to see how many people who sign up for Sirius are doing it to listen to Stern, as opposed to wanting commercial free radio, feeds of news stations, etc. I got XM last year after a friend of mine got it. My wife came next, then her parents, then several friends of mine got it; then my boss signed up for satellite radio in a new car. None of this had anything to do with Stern; it all was based on good word of mouth in my little "family tree" of people. Whether they joined XM or Sirius dependend upon the particular equipment they wanted (be it portability, small size or whatever came with the car).

Certainly Sirius must have released some sort of expectations as to what it considers to be subscribers who will sign up because of Stern, and those who joined up due to other factors. Personally, in my very uninformed opinion, I suspect that Sirius would have gotten the subscribers with or without Stern. At the very least they overpaid for him. But, its their money and I'm glad that Howard is now on it, because now that I haved stopped listening to commercial radio, I don't ever want to go back!

Also, in order to answer the question whether paying Stern was worth it, it would be interesting to know whether Sirius experienced better new subscriber growth than XM over the past year and ate into XM's market share.

Sirius doesn't have to worry about XM's market share.

Sirius will post a profit sometime in 2007. It is said it will be around 2009 before XM does so.

elephant98 said:
Also, in order to answer the question whether paying Stern was worth it, it would be interesting to know whether Sirius experienced better new subscriber growth than XM over the past year and ate into XM's market share.

Considering they were ahead of their own new subscriber goal for the end of the year I am sure they are pleased AND I read the last 2 quarters were better rate than XM. They will both coexist so its not like one will ever run the other out of business.

Are 100% of new subscribers stern-fans? Of course not.

Sirius obviously feels that since subscriber growth was much better than expected and that it would continue once they get the numbers from Q4 2005 and Q1 2006 because they have howard a bonus of $220 million worth of stock.

It's worth $220M today, imagine what it will be worth after they start posting profits in 2007 and if subscriber growth continues like it has in the 2nd half of 2005...

?

Dgenx321 said:
Sirius doesn't have to worry about XM's market share.
Sirius will post a profit sometime in 2007. It is said it will be around 2009 before XM does so.

And where did you get this information ?

jmd - Bored and needed a thread to troll? You're entitled to an opinion. I've never listened to O&A but they seem to have a loyal fan base. The morning show I listen to on my 5 minute or so commute doesn't define me as a person - lol.

When I was first concidering satellite radio I was thinking about XM. As far as I know they were the pioneers of satellite radio and the head unit in one of my cars is XM ready.

When I finally did buy, it was for my family car which didn't have the 'XM Ready' head unit in it so I didn't really care which provider I went with. Stern had announced his move to Sirius so that biased me toward Sirius. I did the online trials for both and Sirius sealed the deal.

So in short, I would have bought a satellite radio in any case, but Stern on Sirius was a big factor that steered me their way.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
jmd - Bored and needed a thread to troll? You're entitled to an opinion.

Shawn

Bored and needed to troll ?! What, did I upset your immature mind ?
That is right . It IS MY OPINION. No need for your rant. Grow up !

O&A don't even get any press since they moved to XM, does XM even advertise their product? I never see XM commericals and never hear anything about O&A...

jmd102354 said:
Bored and needed to troll ?! What, did I upset your immature mind ?
That is right . It IS MY OPINION. No need for your rant. Grow up !
Who being immature? I think the posts speak for themselfs.

I didn't rant. I said why I chose Sirius and that Stern was a factor (on topic, BTW).

I appologize for upsetting you.

Shawn

O&A don't even get any press since they moved to XM, does XM even advertise their product? I never see XM commericals and never hear anything about O&A...

I know O&A had a 4 story advertisment on madison square garden. They were also broadcasting live from CES both this year and last year. If you have D* then you will see lots of XM commericals since they came to D*. I believe it will be the same for Howard after he gets settled in at Sirius because of all the money they are giving him they wont have any left.:D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)