Is the 480-1080 switching a bug in 921's?

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
OK, Either found first bug with my new 921 or I am missing something.

With my Voom receiver. I can put receiver into auto resolution mode. 480-1080. so it will output what it is. My Sony then upconverts. What I do to not have annoying fish bowl effect picture is that I put all three output choices to Tv. Rca jacks (run thru Onkyo reciever), Components, (actually component is run thru Onkyo receivers auto switching) and DVI (straight to sony) And I label inputs on my SOny as Rca-Component-DVI. When watching SD channels I leave tv mode in RCA it accepts the 480 signal and gives full standard picture. When changing to a HD channel I either toggle TV input to Component or DVI inputs. Both work fine and give me either 780 or 1080 depending as Voom sends out native signal to SOny. THis works great and does not piss the wife off with having to wathch fish eye or or small box picture with 480 going to HD tv inputs.

Well with the new 921 It appears I can not do this. Why I say it may be a bug is when I initially activated new reciever I installed it exactly how I did voom above. I immediatly had full picture and reciever said it was ina astretch mode. I was able to toggle thru all tvs inputs with a picture. But HD did not look like HD. So I went into setup reciever screen to Output settings. I saw that 921 default is 480I. So I changed to 1080i, WHAMMO I lost picture completly on both rca and component tv inputs. I did have picture on DVI input. THen I changed to 780 , Same thing. Then I tried 480 and BAM I lost picture on my DVI but gained it on my RCA input. All the time I could not get a picture back on any setting with my COmpnent tv input.
Is this a known problem? could it be a bug or bad reciever?
Can this reciever not just output native like Lowly Voom receiver??
Please help
Thank you

It's a known limitation. You can have either the SD outputs (composite, S-Video, RF coax) or the HD outputs (component, DVI) active at any time, not both. The one exception is "safe mode" where all are active but the HD outputs are putting out SD 480i.

I assume you're aware of the "OUTPUT" button on the remote and on the front panel? It will toggle between the SD outputs and the HD outputs. Hold the button down for a few seconds and you'll enter "safe mode". Press it again to leave that mode, or as I like to call it, enter "unsafe mode" :D (from my old days of working with Windows) :rolleyes:.

Thank you for your reply. Does that meen I can essentially do the same thing I was doing by using that safe mode? Also can you only use either Component or Dvi but not both hooked up? I am getting no picture with Compnent right now but I am with DVI.
Do you think they will address this limitation with Software upgrade or is it a hardware limitation?
Thank you

iceshark said:
Thank you for your reply. Does that meen I can essentially do the same thing I was doing by using that safe mode?
Well yeah, but note your HD outputs will not actually be putting out HD video, just 480i SD video. At least that's how it's documented...
Also can you only use either Component or Dvi but not both hooked up? I am getting no picture with Compnent right now but I am with DVI.
I seem to remember reading that, so you're probably right on that one. I admit I don't yet have an HD capable TV, so I can't verify... :)
Do you think they will address this limitation with Software upgrade or is it a hardware limitation?
That's a good question. My guess is the limitation lies more in the hardware but I hope to be wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts