Is the Direct TV menu and Dvr still clunkier than Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BSparks294

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
By that I mean, I always hear that with Direct TV it is much more difficult to navigate the menu programs and scheduling with the DVR than it is with Dish. Is the latest HD DVR an improvement in that area or is it still lagging behind Dish with regards to ease of use and speed?

Thanks, Brad

Last edited:
Just switched over in June and I like the DVR functions. Both have their slight advantages, but it is no biggy for me. Setting timers is easy, I love smart search. I do miss the auto tune feature and 3 hour view of the guide of the E* receiver, but that's about it.

S~

By that I mean, I always hear that with Direct TV it is much more difficult to navigate the menu programs and scheduling with the DVR than it is with Dish. Is the latest HD DVR an improvement in that area or is it still lagging behind Dish with regards to ease of use and speed?

Thanks, Brad

If you like Dish Networks menus and speed why would you leave. That is a very loaded question like someone going on the Dish forum and asking "does your PQ still suck". I am not implying that dish's picture is in any way inferior, just trying to show what your question looks like to me. If you didn't mean it that way I apologize.

I like the VIP's better.

They function extremly well, no matter what you ask of it.
HR's well They do what you ask, But make you wait, sometimes to the point where you don't know whether it got what you told it to.

They claim the Hr24 s are better, But I've also heard some other storys that are simmilar to the past issues.

Vip 722k is my favorite DVR, Its just too bad the guy you have to pay for it every month is a Greaseball.

HR's have alot of sports features, and Guide Info. So thats a plus.

I was going to bring up the HR 24, but did not want to get into another long story about how to get one and why you cant get one from Directv as easy as folks would like to. :)

I think the HR 24 is about up to par with VIP series, (my VIEW) I like it, only thing for some that are coming from DISH in comparsion to the 722K would be the second TV output for SD??? for some that may be important

Recently, I have been using the "smart search" feature more, underated feature I think :)

I was going to bring up the HR 24, but did not want to get into another long story about how to get one and why you cant get one from Directv as easy as folks would like to. :)

I think the HR 24 is about up to par with VIP series, (my VIEW) I like it, only thing for some that are coming from DISH in comparsion to the 722K would be the second TV output for SD??? for some that may be important

Recently, I have been using the "smart search" feature more, underated feature I think :)

I agree with your post here.

Q. To others, are all the 722's perfect without ANY issues ever ?
Seems to be thats the opinion you get from the DISH guys, but I find it hard to believe that they never have/had ANY issues.

To simplify my answer , I will just say YES , the Dish menu is much easier to navigate . If you had Dish and come to Directv , it will be a hard change . But , it is certainly manageable .;) That is only an opinion . I am technically organized and find the Directv menu much more clunky . As for speed , almost equal with the advantage to the HR 24

the Dish menu is much easier to navigate . If you had Dish and come to Directv , it will be a hard change . But , it is certainly manageable .

I agree. I'm still getting used to the Directv menu. The Dish menu was a lot easier to navigate and find stuff. I miss the Live TV and the Search button.

I agree with your post here.

Q. To others, are all the 722's perfect without ANY issues ever ?
Seems to be thats the opinion you get from the DISH guys, but I find it hard to believe that they never have/had ANY issues.
Fairly perfect. There are millions more of these 722k's out there then HR 24's

So don't count your chickens yet.

I see alot of posts about the HR24's already.

Fairly perfect. There are millions more of these 722k's out there then HR 24's

So don't count your chickens yet.

I see alot of posts about the HR24's already.

Ya, I've seen posts about the HR24's as well, however, the HR20 was the same way when it came out and got better as time went by.

I would imagine those that are use to the DISH recorders would find it a bit to learn the D recorders as well.

If I was going to move to DISH after 5+ years working with the D* recvrs I would have issues too.

It's just a case of getting to know the particular recvrs.

I switched last week and have a 24. It is the same girl with a different dress. Found it did not take time to learn the new remote. One problem is the channel up on direct brings up the 9 favorite programs and that I keep hitting. That I find frustrating. But over all I like the 24 as much as the 625. I was with dish for 11 years. Another good thing is the 24 has either 100 or 150 hrs of dvr record time which is one of the major reasons I switched. As for today I am glad I made the switch.

I switched last week and have a 24. It is the same girl with a different dress. Found it did not take time to learn the new remote. One problem is the channel up on direct brings up the 9 favorite programs and that I keep hitting. That I find frustrating. But over all I like the 24 as much as the 625. I was with dish for 11 years. Another good thing is the 24 has either 100 or 150 hrs of dvr record time which is one of the major reasons I switched. As for today I am glad I made the switch.

Your not pushing the "Channel Up" button if the Quick guide is coming up.

Channel up and down works in the guide the way your doing it, but thats the only time. :)

I found that out the hard way. I did find the correct button however out of old dish habits I still push the wrong one. Time will teach this old fart to leave that button alone. Thanks for the advice though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)