Is the picture quality of a Joey 4K better than Joey 2.0?

Bishop83

Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
Miami
Hi, I’m not asking for 4K content, but regular Dish content. Does the 4K Joey use a better codec, processing or something that improves the sub par image from the Joey 2.0?

Easy example of watching a local channel on Dish and the same channel on Dish but OTA. I have both to save space when I don’t need max quality, but seeing an OTA channel on Dish is significantly superior in picture quality than the local channel transmitted through Dish.

So my question basically is does the 4K Joey offer a superior image for non 4K content over the Joey 2.0 or is it the same low bitrate subpar image?

Thanks.

Thanks, I can save money on buying the 4K Joey at least. It’s a shame.

YouTube TV has a much better picture quality, but they are missing channels that are important to me.

Streaming the Station apps on my 4K TV gets the best results though, that may be my best solution for now, when available.

Thank you!

The reason the OTA picture looks better than satellite has nothing to do with the receiver and everything to do with how much Dish compresses the OTA channel before sending it up to the satellite.
I know it's the compression and the low bitrate Dish uses. I was hoping that the 4K Joey might be able to use a different encoder, and say that Dish also sent a similar bitrate but with an HEVC encode to the 4K Joey devices.

Dish seems a bit more "fair" with the bitrate when it comes to Showtime or PPV movies for example. I was just wondering if a 4K Joey used an advanced codec and the picture quality looked similar to the same quality as the streaming apps from The Weather Channel, ESPN, TNT etc...... I didn't expect much 4K content for my 4K TV, just wanted to see if the 720p/1080i content quality improved with the 4K Joey.

Reactions: cfkillers
If you want to avoid the pixilation / freezing issues that the Joey 2.0 has been prone to lately, then yes a 4K Joey is the better option. Someone recently posted that the 4K Joey does not have this issue, in the same system where a Joey 2.0 does have the bad picture issues:
Watching TV on the Hopper itself is always fine, and I have never experienced any problems on my 4K Joey either. It is one the Joey 2.0 with issues and it has been happening once or twice a week.

I wouldn't assume that the 4K Joey doesn't have the issue. That was my anecdotal experience, but my 4K Joey doesn't get used as often as my Joey 2.0, so it may just be that I haven't used it enough to run into the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bobby
I wouldn't assume that the 4K Joey doesn't have the issue. That was my anecdotal experience, but my 4K Joey doesn't get used as often as my Joey 2.0, so it may just be that I haven't used it enough to run into the problem.
Have you tried switching the Joey locations, to see if the problem stays with the same Joey, or with the same room? I would be curious to find out the result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)