Is The Protection Plan Neccessary

Cobalt1254

Original poster
Apr 19, 2016
Santa Rosa
My mom is 90 years old and is always looking for ways to lower her montly bill. I see on her bill that she pays $8 a month for a protection plan. She does not have a DVR but she has two receivers, one in the living room and one in the bedroom so her setup is pretty basic. Does she need the protection plan and what would it cover? She lives in a elderly mobile home park so I would imagine that the cable runs from the dish under the house an in. If the receiver went out for some reason, would that not be on Dish anyway? Im just trying to get some info from people who might know so I can help her make in informed decision. Thank you very much for any help.

Cobalt

The Protection Plan is $8.00 per month and includes free shipping on equipment replacement, and reduces the cost of in-home service from $95.00 to $10.00.

If piece of mind is worth $8 then keep it. If $8 is a lot of money for her then drop it.

Sneaky people add it when needed.

You can drop the plan entirely and simply add it when it may be needed. I have been a Dish sub since 1998 and have never had a tech out for issues. If a receiver dies they will replace it for $15 shipping.

Thanks to everyone. What if the service call was for something that was not her fault? Like a cable breaking off the dish for some reason? Still on her for the $95?

Thanks to everyone. What if the service call was for something that was not her fault? Like a cable breaking off the dish for some reason? Still on her for the $95?
Yes, but once again if you don't have the protection plan simply engage it on the same call for the issue. When the issue is repaired you can turn it off again. You will be required to pay an early turn off fee but overall, it will be considerably less than paying the $95.

Reactions: DWS44
Since she owns the cabling and Dish antenna, and it would not be the companies fault, yes there would be a charge, yes.

I have had csrs suggest I add it when needed and either keep it for the 5 months or whatever needed or cancel and pay the term fee. I don't think it's sneaky.

Haha, I am glad I read this thread. I also add when needed and let it roll for the 6 months then drop. I look at it as the way of Dish giving you a deal. If they wanted to be crappers about it they wouldn't let you do that and just charge you fees.
The reason I am thinking I am glad I read this thread is because this might be a bit of a parallel. I am thinking about getting HBO for one day on Saturday, then paying the prorated (small) fee and the $5 change fee so I can watch the GGG boxing match then dropping it. But who knows, I might not if there looks like there is going to be some good stuff on it. Now that's sneaky... but in the end everyone wins right? Dish and HBO get to split the one day portion of a months subscription, Dish gets the $5 change fee and I get my boxing match.

This reminds me of the threads about the morality/ethicality of satellite customers getting a coupon for digital converter box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)