Is the VCR dead?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbqman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Alvin, Texas
I was thinking (thats scary) about this last night while watching some old family stuff. I have read where I think Phillips and another company have halted production on the vcr. Nowadays with all the capability of burning home movies and such on a dvd, the vcr is dying a steady but slow death.
It can still come in handy for time shifting. So with that frame in mind who actually uses or even still owns a vcr anymore.

I still own a few but I also purchased a Hard drive combo for the future, so as these machines die they will not be replaced with another.

Exactly what I am thinking (damn that word again). It seems like between htpc's and dvd recorders and pvr's the vcr is taking its last breadth.

Mine isn't. It is flashing 12:00 on the display like it has been for years. Don't remember the last time I used it but it sure ain't dead.

I see the VCR just like a cassette player. They have been around for a LONG time and still have a presence even though newer technology has come out.

I had no choice but to quit using mine when it quit working. Never bought another one. I use my DVR for the most part and if I really want to archive I can do so to a DVD or Hard Drive using my external tv tuner hardware and software.

My vcr is my only current means of time-shifting, but I never actually use it. I'm a bit of a tv junkie and find if I let myself record stuff I'll never pull myself away from the set. Hafta draw the line somewhere - so I've decided if I'm not home when it's on, I ain't watching it!
Having a job interview during the last episode of "Lost" really put my resolve to the test, but I held fast.

We dont even have a vcr in the house anymore. Rent movies from Netflix and pay per view....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts