is there a discount if you provide a modem?

johnmc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hi i have a modem that i can use for cable internet and would prefer to use it if I can save money at install of either wb or dw, comcast is being jerks right now and taking thier time to fix a problem they created and I will catch them in a lie.

so i would only need the dish and connections and i would figure it would save at least 100 if I provided this. Any comments or suggestions.

johnmc said:
Hi i have a modem that i can use for cable internet and would prefer to use it if I can save money at install of either wb or dw, comcast is being jerks right now and taking thier time to fix a problem they created and I will catch them in a lie.

so i would only need the dish and connections and i would figure it would save at least 100 if I provided this. Any comments or suggestions.

No, cable modems only work with cable internet. The don't work with DSL or satellite internet. All 3 types of broadband internet - Cable, DSL & Satellite all use different technologies and different equipment. Nice try, though!:D

WB does use DOCSIS technology "like cable" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS but it has a send and receive. I have been having a discussion with a guy in a tread below. Basically WB or HN is a good choice. Just do your homework and pick the one you feel more comfortable with.:)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=57893&page=2

I know this thread is for the AT9 but wanted to address this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw
By "cell tower things" if you mean WiMax, that probably won't be widely available until analog TV is shut down in 2009.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthre...reless+directv

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw
WildBlue's satellite internet equipment is currently $299. Faster than D-way and cheaper, too. Their top tier comes with backup dialup for traveling or if you have a problem with the sat connection.

I mentioned Wildblue to him.

Faster than Hughesnet

I will give you it IS cheaper than Hughes, but what basis do you have to post your facts on?

Lets break the two company's down.
Hughes Network Systems, LLC (HUGHES) is the global leader in providing broadband satellite networks and services for large enterprises, governments, small businesses, and consumers. HughesNet™ encompasses all broadband solutions and managed services from Hughes, bridging the best of satellite and terrestrial technologies. Hughes has shipped more than 1,000,000 systems to customers in over 100 countries. Its broadband satellite products are based on the IPoS (IP over Satellite) global standard, approved by the TIA, ETSI, and ITU standards organizations.

Headquartered outside Washington, D.C., in Germantown, Maryland, USA, Hughes maintains sales and support offices worldwide. Hughes is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hughes Communications, Inc. (OTCBB:HGCM).
.................................................. ...........................
WildBlue offers you high-speed Internet access via satellite to almost every corner of the U.S.!

WildBlue claims superior performance both in terms of upload and download speed and also latency through its use of newer satellite technology. Specifically, WildBlue uses the Ka band instead of the Ku band used by established competitors such as Hughes Network Systems' DIRECWAY. For improved performance, it covers the U.S. and most of populated Canada with many "spot beams" instead of a single, broad beam covering the entire market. It has adopted DOCSIS technology to reduce costs while maintaining quality of service. Competitors such as Hughes have also announced their transition to Ka band satellites.
------------------------------------------------------------------

So while Hughes is Global, Wildblue can cover ALMOST the entire U.S.

Wildblue uses Ka band satellites instead of Ku band "like Hughes" for better performance.
(I will note that Hughes developed Spaceway which is Ka band which they will be switching to soon.)
Lets compare the second tier with both services

Hughes $599 to purchase and $100 rebate
with a 15 month warranty that includes labor and parts. Hughes states We warrant to the original buyer that under normal use and wear the Equipment, which includes the Indoor Unit (satellite modem), Power Supply, and Outdoor Unit (Antenna & Radio Assembly), will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a standard limited warranty term of 15 months* from the date of activation. Any Equipment replaced or repaired under this warranty will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever is longer. This warranty is not transferable.

Wildblue $299 to purchase with free install
with a 12 month warranty that includes parts Wildblue states If your WildBlue-supplied outdoor unit requires service under this limited warranty, WildBlue will not charge for any labor costs we incur to repair or replace it (or any component of it) within the first 90 days after the initial installation. After this period, WildBlue will cover the cost of the new equipment, but the on-site labor cost must be paid by you. WildBlue will provide on-site labor at its standard rates and an estimated charge can be given prior to the work, based on the type of the replacement. If your satellite dish needs to be re-pointed after the first 90 days of service, standard on-site labor charges will apply.
WOW Wildblue, Hughes kicks your ass on the warranty

Wildblue offers 1 meg down and 200 up for 69.95
5 emails with 25MB capacity per address
spyware and antivirus for 1 year
dial up for 7.95 but only 10 hours a month
24/7 tech support
12 month comment

Hughes offers 1 meg down and 200 up for 69.99
5 emails with 2GB capacity per address
spyware and antivirus for the life you have the system
dial up for 15.00 month with unlimited access.
24/7 tech support
15 month comment

Also I noticed Wildblue does not offer a static IP. You can get one with Hughes for $20.

--------------------------------------------------------

No for the FAP.
Wildblue 12000 MB in a 30 day period.

Hughes 350 MB in a 4 hour period.

Down by Hours.
Wildblue 30daysx24hours=720hours so 12000/720=16.67MB in a 1 hour period.

Hughes 350MB/4hours=87.5MB in a 1 hour period.

So 87.5MB-16.67MB=70.83MB per hour is what you loss with Wildblue.

.................................................. ........................

That is all the research I feel like doing right now. If anyone has anything to add please feel free. Also if any of this info is wrong PLEASE let me know and I will change it. I am not trying to spin anything and put down any one of these two companys. I think Wildblue would be worth the money but personally prefer Hughes because of the history.

I personally do not need blazing light speeds, just better than dialup. i currently have comcast and no phone line, and will be moving in the near future. if there is dsl I might do that instead if available, but would have to install a phone line. The problem with the phone line is in the dallas area it is automaticly $32 month with all of the taxes and so forth. add dialup internet and add 10-20 and you are back up to the same price as cable or dsl.

My best choice for now would to go with wildblue, mainly because I am a sucker for the underdog, new guy on the block, and I can do the 49 package.

does dirctway and direct tv offer any package deals?

The Tate said:
Lets break the two company's down.

So while Hughes is Global, Wildblue can cover ALMOST the entire U.S.

Wildblue uses Ka band satellites instead of Ku band "like Hughes" for better performance.
(I will note that Hughes developed Spaceway which is Ka band which they will be switching to soon.)
Lets compare the second tier with both services

Wildblue offers 1 meg down and 200 up for 69.95
5 emails with 25MB capacity per address
spyware and antivirus for 1 year
dial up for 7.95 but only 10 hours a month
24/7 tech support
12 month comment

Hughes offers 1 meg down and 200 up for 69.99
5 emails with 2GB capacity per address
spyware and antivirus for the life you have the system
dial up for 15.00 month with unlimited access.
24/7 tech support
15 month comment

No for the FAP.
Wildblue 12000 MB in a 30 day period.

Hughes 350 MB in a 4 hour period.

Down by Hours.
Wildblue 30daysx24hours=720hours so 12000/720=16.67MB in a 1 hour period.

Hughes 350MB/4hours=87.5MB in a 1 hour period.

So 87.5MB-16.67MB=70.83MB per hour is what you loss with Wildblue.

.................................................. ........................

That is all the research I feel like doing right now. If anyone has anything to add please feel free. Also if any of this info is wrong PLEASE let me know and I will change it. I am not trying to spin anything and put down any one of these two companys. I think Wildblue would be worth the money but personally prefer Hughes because of the history.

It's good to finally know what Hughe's FAP policy is - I never could find it on their website. I assume you have to be a Hughes' subscriber first to know what your FAP is?

I appreciate your atttitude and I also don't want to claim one is better than the other. I went with WB as a subscriber and Dealer / Installer because my research conclusions and nieghbors' negative comments toward Hughes as customers. Personally, I would rather deal with watching my usage over a 30 day period than over 4 hours.

I'm sure there are people who have tried both WB & Hughes and swear by one and swear at the other. Having said that, I will say that I made a customer so happy last week with WB Pro Service (1.5mbps down, 256kbps down) that she's dumping her Hughes' service. The customer has a web retailing business and recently moved to rural SE Arizona. She ordered Directway's fastest service sometime within the last 30 days, as she was still under DW/Hughe's 30 satisfaction guarantee. Sometime during the 30 days DW transitioned to Hughes. During that transition they apparently changed the smtp server authentication from IP to username & password, using the same login & pw as the pop. Well, nobody notified this customer and she spent several frustrating days trying to figure out why she couldn't send any email. She (the customer) says she spent hours on the phone with her Dealer or Hughes' tech support and no one could knew what she needed to do. She finally figured it out on her own. She was also not happy with the speed, especially on sites that use https, such as PayPal, where she spends a lot of time.

She was extremely happy with the speed of Wb Pro Pak service. As I was leaving she was calling her Hughes dealer to tell them to come & pick up their equipment.

I'm sure we can find people who had WB disconnected in favor of Hughes. Just releating my recent experience.

The Hughes FAP is on the website http://fairaccess.hughesnet.com/ under plans and the fine print.

In the next couple of months Hughes will have a 7000s http://prs.hughesnet.com/1pr/hn7000s.htm which will be 1.5 down and I think 300 up. The service will be 69.99 per month which will be cheaper than WB's

Also take a look at this site.
This is outdated but the core info is still good.

http://www.2-upgrade.com//_e/page/1101/satellite_Internet_comparision.htm
1 Direcway offers a $100.00 mail-in rebate on systems bought by 1/31/2006
WidBlue has $100.00 off standard installation thru 3/31/2006
2 WildBlue provides a 1 year warranty on equipment but only provides 90 days free service on outdoor equipment
3 DiRECWAY uses network scanning provided by Sandvine - WildBlue uses MailRover email filtering and provides 1 yr virus protection provided through F-Secure
4 TCO based on UP FRONT COSTS + (MONTHLY SERVICE X COMMITMENT)
5 Only DiRECWAY currently offers a static IP for $20.00 extra per month
Which is the better product? You make the decision. Although Wildblue costs less for the terms of their commitment, it could end up costing you more based on their limited warranty.

Which is better? Again, that becomes a personal decision. They are 2 different technologies (both use satellite), Direcway Strength is their longevity in the market place while Wildblue is based on newer technology that is largely untested as they are new to the world of satellite internet.

This comparision only shows what we believe are the facts. Since both products are sold and installed by GTEC, we believe both to be excellent. In looking at the table above, it is apparent that Wildblue can cost you less to get, but it lacks in warranty. The strength of their offering is that they are utilizing a newer technology, one that we believe will be around for quite sometime. On the other hand, Direcway offers rock solid service based on their number of years in the marketplace and their commitment to being there. Although the technology is older, it is also more refined. Direcway has more to offer in terms of more products to come. The Direcway 7000 series is now available and they will have a product similiar to Wildblues within 2 years. In looking at the technology that Wildblues uses, it appears that others will be entering the market place in the near future. Both SES Americom and Echostar Communications have indicated an interest in bringing a product to market. It appears that 2006 will be the year of satellite Internet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)