Is there a Good STB to receive CBS Network (and other 422) feeds?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Oh my how I remember the Quali...Even remember the last 4.2.2 feed I tuned into several yrs ago an Indy race.The Quali always had a very nice pic on those feeds!.So limited with what it could do with sat and tp list etc...Amazing it was over 700 bucks new...How times have changed but really nothing better when it comes to an STB for 4.2.2. than an AZ...Seems like the folks that beat up on a real AZ are the ones that have never taken the time to figure them out but if research is done it is easy to see since then we do not to this day have a STB that can do all an AZ can do!!...

Titanium congrats on the new card 6983 and bet ya cant wait to get er going.I put a 6982 here in my new build and love it so far.Is a dual tuner and does 16 and 32 APSK but it does not do ACM or VCM just CCM.....There is not many reports at all of any video in ACM/VCM so would really be curious if the extra money for the 6983 is worth it over the 6982???

Reactions: pwrsurge and cee
Like to try on Linux down the road, but I don't have the time right now to figure out the correct packages.

Going to start by installing on a Gigabit/Core I3-560/Radeon HD 7850 that I have for bench testing. Will build a new I5 or 7 in the spring.

Since I only buy a card every 2 or 3 years, With all of the testing and standards that I work with, I decided to get the bells and whistles. Next card will probably be bought sooner than later... One word HEVC

Last edited:
hey hockeynut i was just referring when i saw Quali. i bought it second hand a long time ago.It still has a nice picture on the OTA HD signals.Wow where did the time go.Happy New year

Reactions: Hockeynut
PC tuners to catch wildfeeds sent over DVB/IP using IPCleaner.

UDL
You should share more about IPCleaner I don't think many people even know about it. You can download from ricks place. But it would be cool to have how-tos here at satguys :)

This is the first I've heard of that program and I must say that after reading through a six-page thread about it over at that other site, I still have no idea what it is or under what circumstances it would be useful. Actually, in my case I doubt it would be, because I use TVHeadEnd as my satellite backend and am barely able to keep that running sometimes due to my lack of overall knowledge when it comes to Linux. It appears that the IPCleaner program, whatever its purpose is, is designed to be used with software that interfaces with the tuner cards at a much more basic level. I got the impression that one of its purposes might be to record programs, so I guess I would wonder why someone would prefer to go that route as opposed to just using a backend/PVR type program such as TVHeadEnd. Or, MediaPortal for those who can only handle Windows, although from what I have read MediaPortal has a lot of bugs that make it especially difficult to configure for users in the USA and Canada.

I got the impression that it is something more than a basic PVR program but that thread seems to start with the assumption that anyone reading it knows what that software is and has some experience with it. If there is an explanation of it anywhere, I couldn't find it.

Programming is often distributed in ways that a DVB STB or tuner w/TVHeadend will not display.

An example for a video service application: DVB/IP data may be used to distribute video and streamed at rates or a format not supported for real-time viewing / DVR. This data must be scrubbed and presented in a format compatible for viewing.

Okay, if I am understanding this so far, you are saying that video is being distributed in a format that could not be played directly on any receiver, but could be recorded and post-processed for later viewing. And also, that software such as TVHeadEnd would probably not record the transport stream because it would not see a valid video or audio signal, just raw data, and therefore it would assume there was nothing to record. So you would need software that can record a raw data stream and then process it afterwards, and since you don't know ahead of time what's in any particular data stream, you're basically just fishing in the dark hoping that something interesting might turn up.

And then once you have recorded the transport stream, your would use the IPCleaner program to try and pick out the data stream(s) and post-process them into video that can be played on a standard video player. But at its most basic level, you're dealing with data that contains video and audio, just not in any traditional video or audio format.

Am I right so far or am I still not getting it?

Correct. There are also scheduled IP sources used for event feeds, content pushes, etc. Some are encrypted , while others are open.

If sniffing, one could also likely find entertaining content in any open IP stream. :)

Correct. There are also scheduled IP sources used for event feeds, content pushes, etc. Some are encrypted , while others are open.

If sniffing, one could also likely find entertaining content in any open IP stream. :)

Now you've done it. I have to order one now.

Reactions: KE4EST
I just ordered a 6983. My $230 offer from earIier was expired. So I entered $236 in the 'Make Offer' field, but must have clicked the wrong button after that and it charged me $249.99. Oh well, it will be interesting seeing what feeds are out there.

Will take awhile since its coming from Hong Kong. That should give me time to re-align my Unimesh.

There's actually something cool that does that kind of thing with XBMC. This newer product called the Mach 8 has a cool XBMC that links PVR options to the main XBMC launch screen quickly and easily with this thing called Cloudword. Check this out.

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.