Is there a grace period to Cancel and other questions

Three joeys? I strongly say get a second Hopper for a one time charge unless there are only two of you in the house. Even then, for back-up alone get two.
Take some time and read what others have taken time to post. You're only getting a couple of posts of advice when there's so much others will tell you both before and after their install and what they wish they had done, or are glad they have done.

Just right from the beginning, there will be one Joey that can not watch live what they want if the Hopper and two other's are watching live, and less Joeys will be able to if you have programs recording. It only takes two programs recording and one person watching live so that no other Joey can watch what they want live unless it's what the one person is watching. (More can watch at night if you use PTAT however and any can watch recorded programs, also if you get an OTA tuner that adds how many can watch)

I totally agree with you so I definitively want two hoppers. Now the decision is will i be happy with one new and one old hopper. I really don't like contracts and getting OLD equipment though

I understand the feeling, but since there are really only 2 differences between the 'original' Hopper vs the HWS, are those two things worth an extra $100?

The differences are the original is not quite as fast as the HWS and it won't do iPad transfers. When I looked and made the switch I decided that no, it wasn't worth an extra $100.

And it isn't really all that old either! :)

I totally agree with you so I definitively want two hoppers. Now the decision is will i be happy with one new and one old hopper. I really don't like contracts and getting OLD equipment though

If you add a sling adapter ($50 or less on eBay), and you share the connection from the hopper with sling, the only real difference will be the transfers you can't do on the original hopper. Even though the original hopper is slower than HWS, it's still very fast.

I'll add, if moving material to the IPAD is something you know you want to do, you need to get at least one "new" Hopper. If not, the original and as Lparsons21 points out isn't old at all, will be fine, and either add a sling adaptor, or spend just a little more and get tons more versatility and get an actual Slingbox. lots of choices!

+1 - good points Tampa8!

When I made the switch, I took the HWS for the box totally for my control and useage as I am much more technical than my son, and I'm also paying the bills (that's a story for another time). My son got the original Hopper and is tickled to death. It is quicker than the HR24 he had previously and he's got PIP which he loves for his sports.

I don't transfer to the iPad though I could if I wanted as I've tested it to ensure it works, but I got super speed and sling is worhwhile even though I don't use it much.

I added one old hopper for $99. Install is going now. Is there any way to get Component out (Red/Blue/Green) from the Joey HDMI? A certain cable or something?

One last question. I am getting the wifi adapter on the old hopper (Installer says that is free). Do the joeys need the HIC in order for them to get wifi?

I thought the wifi on the hopper w/sling was built in. But the Installer put a wifi dongle on the HWS. The box says Hopper with Sling though. The other Hopper says just hopper.

Yep, the Hopper w/Sling has wifi built in. This isn't the only time some installer has misinformed about the need for an external wifi dongle being needed.

so i got a free dongle as extra too? I can remove that later myself then? But the reg hopper and 2 joeys will just get internet from HWS anyways; so I just remove the dongle for safekeeping then?

Yeah, you can remove it, but you'll have to go through the wireless setup again to make the internal one work. Once that's done, you're good to go.

Usually you'll have to reset the Hopper w/Sling to get it to forget the dongle and let you setup the internal. Sometimes that red button comes in real handy! :)

Now that you are installed, you get to play around and learn all those nifty, but sometimes irritating, things that the Hopper can do and how different it is from Direct and most other DVRs out there. A cup of coffee, patience and a little gritting of your teeth are good skills to master as you futz around! :)

In then end you'll probably love lots of things about it, tolerate some others, and scratch you head over why Dish did some things the way they did!

Enjoy!!

Maybe he put in the dongle to get better signals by extending it on the USB line and placing it for better signal? The HWS built in WiFi can get a weak signal when in an entertainment center or on a shelf under a TV and has no external antenna to increase it. Adding a dongle can greatly increase signal strength by positioning it high and/or away from the TV.

Just want to say thanks to all for the help. This is a very friendly forum compared to many other techy forums!

I wish they would offer a 15 day trial period where if your not happy you can cancel and return . You can do it with cell phones and they require a 2 year agreement.

With the cell phone you don't have someone spending hours putting up the dish and wiring your house and installing an expensive piece of equipment.

The HWS has built in wi-fi, built in Sling, iPad transfer capability- AND an improved chipset, faster CPU and much more memory. I consider the additional cost up front as future proofing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts