Is there a hardware guide?

nwflyboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Seattle, WA, USA
Well it seems like making one small gear change in my house has triggered an unexpected (and unwanted) massive Cascading Technology Upgrade Chain Reaction* (see below). Sigh.

The last time I paid any attention to the various hardware pieces in my home TV setup was 2 or 3 years ago when we first got Dish. At the time, my initial reaction to the various hardware models and nomenclature was that somebody at Dish seemed to be trying real hard to obfuscate and confuse end users, with 722s, 711s, 622s, and other cryptically named boxes that gave no hint as to their actual function and capabilities. Thankfully, nice folks here explained what boxes I should get in order to simply watch TV (and which I should avoid in case they tried to foist a lemon on me), in our pretty simple 3-TV home. I suspect I'm pretty typical as TV consumers go - all I want is to be able to watch the damn TV, record shows and watch them later.

Now, a couple years later, it seems that all the hardware has been cutely named for creatures that bounce, jump or throw things, I suspect with the goal of keeping end users confused, powerless and vulnerable to price gouging. I don't know if I need a handful of wombats, a couple of bunnies, or squadron of catapults, and knowing well how large corporations work, I am hesitant to just call Dish and say "fix me up and send the bills."

I've been happy with our existing setup and have zero interest in messing with it. But it seems that the act of replacing an external DVD player (see below) has triggered a chain of events that I see leading to upgrading most of what's currently installed (and has been working just fine), wrapping my house in HDMI cable, drilling holes through the exterior walls, and who-knows-where-it-will-end. And now, I'm apparently required to learn about marsupials.

Isn't there some kind of basic hardware guide here that lists the various boxes that Dish provides and gives a simple explanation of what each unit does and what it's capabilities are? I've looked, but found nothing like that. Really? I'm thinking it would be a lot more efficient than answering questions like "what the heck is a [obscure marsupial reference] used for and why do I need/want one?"

In my case, I'm trying to figure out what "upgrades" I need to my existing system to make it work (just like the present system has been working...) with a replacement TV, but it sounds like I may need to replace multiple things, and before I decide if I want to go there, I need to get some idea of what the heck the various boxes do.

Thanks for pointing me to some furry critter guide or other resource.

Cascading Technology Upgrade Chain Reaction - The old DVR player in our master bedroom died. I went out and bought a new Bluray player. The Blueray play has a single HDMI output. Old analog TV in master bedroom only had coax and component inputs. TV was old so what the heck, lets replace it with a modern flatscreen, which of course has HDMI inputs. After connecting the Blueray via HDMI, I connected the TV to the coax cable we had been using to pull the signal from the Dish VIP722 downstairs in the living room. Picture quality is good when viewing anything from Bluray player, but awful for anything from the 722, coming in via coax. It appears that the output from the 722 (as TV#2) will not feed HD up to the new TV (and the coax won't supply HD anyway), so a house-wide system upgrade is now required...oy.

dish techs in their guides have a page that lists all receivers and their capabilities and what they support.

find an in house dish tech out someplace and ask nicely if you can look at his chart.

Your post made me chuckle :) .

I'll try to answer your post when I get more time

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Yeah, the 722 doest output HD to the second Tv set! it is SD only. Hence the bad picture. You can either get another 722 installed (or 612 if you want a single tuner only DVR, or a 211K if you want a receiver only, you can actually make a DVR).
Or, you can upgrade to the Hopper/Joey system. Those are your options for HD on the second TV set.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Here is a simple link to a simple Dish list of their equipment: Skip the numbered receivers and go for the obscure marsupial type receivers, so you stay with the latest technology and avoid more changes later.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for. Numbers are out, marsupials are in. Check.
All very helpful, thanks everyone. I will peruse the linked info and may have some follow-ups about capabilities (and those little "gotchas" as denoted by asterisks and tiny numbered references).

the only thing I dislike about the hopper joey system is if the hopper has issues you lose tv in the whole set up.
the joeys do nothing except convert signals.

the only thing I dislike about the hopper joey system is if the hopper has issues you lose tv in the whole set up.
Get two Hoppers, or three :)

You got it right off the bat Hopper great upgrade but also a step backward. Try a 211K receiver for the bedroom it is a basic HD receiver. You already have the coax run so all you need to do is attach a HDMI cable from the 211K to the new TV,If it is anything like mine you will have 3 HDMI inputs so you would just select HDMI 1 for the blueray and HDMI 2 for satellite it will only cost $7 more per month. If you want the 211K can be converted into being a DVR for a one time charge of $40 and adding a hard drive.

The big question is, do you want whole home DVR? If you do, then you will want to upgrade to the Hopper.

You can either get another 722 installed (or 612 if you want a single tuner only DVR

I think you meant "single experience" or "single TV" DVR. It has all the usual outputs, two sat tuners and one OTA tuner. I have two 612's and I like them a lot.

I forgot the 612 had two satellite tuners, I thought it just had one.

OK, a single failure point is more catastrophic when there's a failure (although I think missing TV stretches the meaning of "catastrophe"/1st-world-problems), but how prone are these Hopper things to actually failing? The 722 we've had has never had a hiccup since we've had it (2-3 years).

The big question is, do you want whole home DVR? If you do, then you will want to upgrade to the Hopper.

We do want to be able to view recorded programs on either TV#1 (living room) or TV#2 (upstairs bedroom) - which is what we have been able to do all along (albeit not in HD on TV#2), so that may indeed be the real determining factor. Is that (being able to watch recorded programs, in HD, on multiple TVs) by definition "whole home DVR"? If so, it then sounds like the Hopper is a requirement - right?

We do want to be able to view recorded programs on either TV#1 (living room) or TV#2 (upstairs bedroom) - which is what we have been able to do all along (albeit not in HD on TV#2), so that may indeed be the real determining factor. Is that (being able to watch recorded programs, in HD, on multiple TVs) by definition "whole home DVR"? If so, it then sounds like the Hopper is a requirement - right?
If you need independent viewing in both locations, a Hopper is part of the solution. If you only watch one TV at a time, cheaper solutions are possible.

It is much, much easier to recommend a solution when the details of how you watch TV (how many TVs, what type they are and how many independent viewers) are known.

Sounds like you want the Hopper, just contact a DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) member here at the forum, there names are in red and they can be found on the link that shows the staff. They can help you upgrade to a Hopper/Joey. The Hopper/DVR fee is $12 per month and the Joey is $7.

Indeed. Here's more info on our viewing habits:

There are two of us here. We have 3 TVs in the house (TV#1 and TV#2 are HD digital TVs, both of which are currently connected to the 722; TV#3 is a small, older analog tube, connected to a separate VIP211K (no recording/playback on #3, which is OK).

We want to be able to watch something different on any TV. That is, while only 2 TVs are probably going to be used at any time, we want to be able to tune each independently, and also to record at least 2 things at a time.

We want to be able to watch recorded programs on either TV#1 or TV#2 (or use both at the same time, watching different recordings and/or live TV). It's unimportant whether TV#3 can access recordings (maybe nice-to-have, but trivial, and not really a factor).

All of the above is what we have now (although no HD output to TV#2), so we don't want a downgrade in flexibility.

Without regard to price (I'm reluctant to increase our monthly cost much; we're no longer on contract), I'm guessing that we would want to replace the 722 with a Hopper (on TV#1), and then add a Joey on TV#2. Not sure how this all adds up cost-wise.
TV#3 could keep its current 211K, or if there's no meaningful cost increase, or maybe get a Joey on TV#3 also and drop the 211 (although it's not an HD/digital set, it wouldn't be bad to have access to recorded programs on that TV).

I assume that we would need new runs of HDMI cable to feed TV#2 (and possibly TV#3) from the Hopper? That is, coax from the Hopper to the Joey wouldn't result in HD output - correct?

Many thanks to all - this is very helpful info.

Off topic, but anyone else find it funny when we abbreviate an abbreviation. ie DIRT is DISH(which is already and abbreviation) Internet Response Team.

Indeed. Here's more info on our viewing habits:

There are two of us here. We have 3 TVs in the house (TV#1 and TV#2 are HD digital TVs, both of which are currently connected to the 722; TV#3 is a small, older analog tube, connected to a separate VIP211K (no recording/playback on #3, which is OK).

We want to be able to watch something different on any TV. That is, while only 2 TVs are probably going to be used at any time, we want to be able to tune each independently, and also to record at least 2 things at a time.

We want to be able to watch recorded programs on either TV#1 or TV#2 (or use both at the same time, watching different recordings and/or live TV). It's unimportant whether TV#3 can access recordings (maybe nice-to-have, but trivial, and not really a factor).

All of the above is what we have now (although no HD output to TV#2), so we don't want a downgrade in flexibility.

Without regard to price (I'm reluctant to increase our monthly cost much; we're no longer on contract), I'm guessing that we would want to replace the 722 with a Hopper (on TV#1), and then add a Joey on TV#2. Not sure how this all adds up cost-wise.
TV#3 could keep its current 211K, or if there's no meaningful cost increase, or maybe get a Joey on TV#3 also and drop the 211 (although it's not an HD/digital set, it wouldn't be bad to have access to recorded programs on that TV).

I assume that we would need new runs of HDMI cable to feed TV#2 (and possibly TV#3) from the Hopper? That is, coax from the Hopper to the Joey wouldn't result in HD output - correct?

Many thanks to all - this is very helpful info.

you cant combine other receivers with the hopper joey system out side of the tailgater receivers.

you cant combine other receivers with the hopper joey system out side of the tailgater receivers.
They can keep the 211k, it is the tailgater receiver. Just pretend he has a tailgater if they ask.

That is correct as long as it is purchased. No other leased equipment other than hopper and Joey. Up to 2 purchased 211 family recievers. I'm gonna guess his 211k is not owned. It's leased.

Reactions: satnewb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts