Is there a how-to guide for building a PC with satellite tuner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cnut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
Is there a how-to guide for building a PC with satellite tuner? How any of the members hear posted any guides or youtube videos to show how it's done? I have a laptop and haven't had a desktop PC in about 15 years. I assume I'll have to build one from the ground up? Or can I use my laptop. I heard something about USB tuners. My laptop runs Windows 10, will a USB turner with this OS?

Also, to let you know about my system and what I want to do. I have a 10.5 football MESH dish with C and KU LNBFs attached. I would like to pull in the 4:2:2 signals on CBS feeds, as well as catch the new H.264 4:2:2 feeds that Fox Sports 1 used a lot during college football season and is using during the college basketball season.
If you can steer me in the right direction with this info.
thank you so much
cpsp0

Not much HTPC DVBS2 information out there. The install steps depends on the computer OS and the tuner type / make / model. The computer CPU doesn't need to be the latest, greatest, fastest or loaded with memory for DVBS2 4:2:2, but a good video card is a great investment. Easy and not rocket science... :D Your laptop with a DVBS2 USB tuner (TBS has several models starting at $75), EBSpro software ($35), VLC software (free) and a USB cable to connect the laptop to the TV should be adequate. Probably cost about $135+ for what you want to receive.

You only need a basic tuner for the services you mention, but some tuners receive more modulations and coding and the cost goes up! :D

No information on running Win10. I run my DVBS2 tuners on WIN 7 and have not migrated to 10.

If Windows OS, connect the hardware and install the software program. Depending on the software selected, it may need additional software like VLC to play the content.

There are so many variables to consider when building an HTPC any guide would be incomplete and probably inaccurate as well. Kind of a "catch-22" Not all hardware works with all software. For a lot of folks the deciding factor is the software for the HTPC and then you know what hardware is supported. But you can't find out how you like the software until you put together some hardware. Start with a USB tuner and your laptop and try some different software. Get your feet wet and see if this is your "cup of tea".

For sake of discussion, does the cpu dictate the ability to decode high bandwidth UHD channels? Or is the video card solely or partly determining decode ability? Does the tuner card limit the capabilities?

I've got a home built pc from about 2007 with nothing fancy. Athlon x64 4000+ 2.1Ghz, Prof 8000 sat PCI card and GA-M61P-S3 MoBo plays everything on XP, 7 and now 10. UHD not so smooth though.

Get DreamDvb trial to experiment and watch. Expand to EBSPro if you're getting into blind scanning, add VLC for viewing capability.

Sent from a phone, probably while I'm driving over the speed limit through a school zone with construction workers present.

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts