Is there a list of specific tablets that the "Augmented Reality Satellite Finder" will work on?

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Per the title:

Is there a list of specific tablets that the "Augmented Reality Satellite Finder" will work on?

I'd really like to get it, but I don't have a smart cellphone, and I don't want to pay $500 for an iPad 2. So, I'm looking for my options on a cheaper tablet, say $150 or less (cheaper the better). I've seen some with rear cameras and accelerometer, but haven't seen one (yet) that specifically said it had a compass.

Thanks!

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Most tablets would also have a compass - the app certainly works on the Samsung Galaxy Tabs and the Motorola Xoom tablets. The new Google tablet doesn't have a rear camera so it won't work on that. Some people are also using it on the Acer Iconia tablets but from what I hear the accuracy of the compass is not that great.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Ok, I just picked up one of these, and it'll be shipped to me shortly. Hopefully it'll work with the AR app, as specs show that it should. Can anybody confirm for sure?:

Acer Iconia Tab A100-07u08u XE.H6RPN.002 Tablet

General 2G Network N/A
Announced 2011, February
Status Available. Released 2011, April
Body Dimensions 195 x 117 x 13.1 mm
Weight 450 g
Display Type LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 600 x 1024 pixels, 7.0 inches (~170 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
- Acer UI
Sound Alert types N/A
Loudspeaker Yes, with stereo speakers
3.5mm jack Yes
- Dolby mobile sound enhancement
Memory Card slot microSD, up to 32 GB
Internal 8/16 GB storage, 1 GB RAM
Data GPRS No
EDGE No
WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot
Bluetooth Yes, v2.1 with A2DP, EDR
USB Yes, microUSB v2.0
Camera Primary 5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Features Geo-tagging, image stabilization
Video Yes, 720p@30fps, VGA@60fps
Secondary Yes, 2 MP
Features OS Android OS, v3.0, v3.2, planned upgrade to v4.0
Chipset Nvidia Tegra 2 T20
CPU Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9
GPU ULP GeForce
Sensors Accelerometer, gyro, compass
Messaging Email, Push Email, IM
Browser HTML, Adobe Flash
Radio No
GPS Yes
Java Yes, via Java MIDP emulator
Colors Black/Red, Black/Blue
- SNS integration
- HDMI port
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail
- YouTube, Google Talk, Picasa integration
- MP3/WAV/WMA/eAAC+ player
- XviD/MP4/H.264/H.263 player
- Organizer
- Document viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)
- Predictive text input
Battery Standard battery, Li-Po 1530 mAh

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
Did the Iconia work out for you?

Are there any other relatively cheap tablets that are suitable?

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Did the Iconia work out for you?

Are there any other relatively cheap tablets that are suitable?
Never loaded it as the Iconia took several months before it shipped to me, and I already had my dishes all properly setup by then.

Besides, this Dishpointer app has almost no support, even the admin hardly ever bothers to log in here and answer questions. Just check his posting history. He's been MIA for over two months this time. There are a few other Android apps for sat checking that I've heard work better, and they are free.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
What Android apps does the same thing as Dishpointer that are free? I downloaded the app for a phone and thought about transferring it to another one since I am having problems with the phone and heard they would for free. Will I not be able to contact anyone at DishPointer to do that for me? I wish the Nexus 7 had a front camera.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
He may not be here but, if I email Alan I get a response back in a few minutes, unless it is his bed time.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
What Android apps does the same thing as Dishpointer that are free? I downloaded the app for a phone and thought about transferring it to another one since I am having problems with the phone and heard they would for free. Will I not be able to contact anyone at DishPointer to do that for me? I wish the Nexus 7 had a front camera.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esys.satfinder&hl=en (FREE)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.norsat.SatelliteLocator&hl=en (FREE)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iss.SatelliteFinder&hl=en ($5.99)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xcodium.satellitefinderar&hl=en ($1.99)

There's more then just these 4 different ones, but this is plenty to start with.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
I answer all emails, and they are plenty.

Over here at SatelliteGuys, with so many members using the DishPointer app, I believe it's better to get a first-hand response from the users rather than from me. In particular when it comes to which devices work best I can only rely on user feedback, considering that there are a few thousand Android devices/version variants now - I've got about 10 test devices.

That's why I'm letting the discussion here flow but if you have a question directed at me, never hesitate to contact me.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Last edited:

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
I'm still debating if I'll buy the Dishpointer app though, as the web version is certainly invaluable. I heard the app has to "phone home" every 5 days or so to validate itself, and that might be a deal killer.
No, the app doesn't 'phone home'. I don't want anyone to be unhappy with the purchase - that's why I offer a 14 day money back guarantee on the Android app so that everyone has the chance to test the app throroughly with their specific devices. Because of that, the app checks once after 14 days with the Play Store if the purchase is still valid. And that's it. Obviously it is not possible to please everyone.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
No, the app doesn't 'phone home'. I don't want anyone to be unhappy with the purchase - that's why I offer a 14 day money back guarantee on the Android app so that everyone has the chance to test the app throroughly with their specific devices. Because of that, the app checks once after 14 days with the Play Store if the purchase is still valid. And that's it. Obviously it is not possible to please everyone.
Ok, once after 14 days is certainly understandable, versus what I was reading from various sites that people believed was happening. I'll know more in the next week or so if I'll purchase the Dishpointer app.

Thanks!

Gwynnec

Feb 25, 2014
Adelaide .south Australia
I use an iPad 3 .I cannot find an app for iPads ,only iPhones can you please help I am in Australia the dishpointer app also the augmented reality satellite app.
regards

Last edited:

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
There is only the iPhone version which ban be used for iPads, too.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Welcome to the site Gwynnec!

Unless something has changed the app will work on the iPad just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts