Is there a market right now for FTA Installers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
I'm completely new to the world of FTA, but given I could make it a hobby and learn the 'tricks of the trait' is there a market for FTA Installers? I checked online at Satellite System Installer Referral - www.FTAinstall.com and a few other sites and there are no FTA installers listed anywhere near me. In today's market I'd think if more people were aware of the type of content you can get via an FTA system I'd think more people would jump on it given they had a simple way to get it installed.

Anyway, just curious if this might be something worth getting into. Take care.

i think to most people (including myself) FTA is a hobby....not just a way to watch tv....and part of the hobby is the fun of installing and testing out new things....so that being said i think most people install themselves....with all the info out there i really dont know why somebody would pay to have a system installed unless they were physically unable to do the work....

Around where I live, you would be installing FTA for people wanting asian, hispanic, or religious programming.
But to make a living you could install for Dish or DTV!

Around where I live, you would be installing FTA for people wanting asian, hispanic, or religious programming.
But to make a living you could install for Dish or DTV!

Probably the same thing around here. We live right in the middle of the Bible Belt so I could see the GloryStar and DayStar programming being popular. Also this wouldn't be a way to make a living, rather just a way to fund my hobbies and get more experience working with a wider array of equipment. Plus it's nothing that would happen anytime soon since I'd want to setup systems at home and probably for friends who have mentioned an interest in FTA to get some experience, but with so many people tightening their budgets I'd think FTA could be a decent option to augment OTA programming if cable/satellite were dropped, especially for people who don't have fast Internet connections and can't take advantage of streaming media like Netflix and Hulu.

no harm in doing it part time i guess....i used to put ads on craigslist and aim dishes for people....but that is all i did was aim the dish....no cabling or programming at all....

I checked online at Satellite System Installer Referral - www.FTAinstall.com and a few other sites and there are no FTA installers listed anywhere near me.

The area seems to be quite active with FTA purchases with several hundred searches logged on the FTA Install site in Q4, 2010.
Satellite System Installer Referral - www.FTAinstall.com has 6 regional installers and 4 national with local technicians for the Waco, Texas area.

You might also carry a system or two and offer your install service and a system on Craigslist or regional classified ads. People might be interested in a one stop call!

What would be the appropriate rate to charge for FTA installs?

that really depends on the install and cabling and dishes or switches required....i used to charge 60 bucks to go out and aim a dish....that was just to aim the dish and nothing else....no cabling or programming....

The area seems to be quite active with FTA purchases with several hundred searches logged on the FTA Install site in Q4, 2010.
Satellite System Installer Referral - www.FTAinstall.com has 6 regional installers and 4 national with local technicians for the Waco, Texas area.

You might also carry a system or two and offer your install service and a system on Craigslist or regional classified ads. People might be interested in a one stop call!

Interesting, I swear when I checked the site for Waco just a day or so ago there were no local installers, but you're right Waco has one local and a couple in neighboring communities. Weird...

But whether helping people point the dish or doing a full install, this could make for a fun hobby and possibly a fall-back trait if my current job ever fell through given the local Dish or DirecTV installers had any openings. Though I work mainly with software development now my training is in networking so I've ran my share of coax and twisted pair over the last decade and a half through attics, walls, etc, so I have most of the equipment to do that part. I just need to learn the dish and receiver part and how to bring it all together.

I just wasn't sure if this has been something in demand in other areas. Maybe so, may not... but even if I can learn it enough to help other hobbyists to find like-minded people in my area I'd consider it a win.

I'm listed on ftainstall but haven't had a call in six months. I had quite a few repoints for people wanting to be able to see 3ABN or LLBN but this was before the Adventists had some big conference, guess the demand dropped off after that.

Well, I'd certainly appreciate some help putting the dish on the edge of the roof 20 feet/ 3 meters off the ground. Might be fun for some, but I've got no head for heights.

I'm listed on ftainstall but haven't had a call in six months. I had quite a few repoints for people wanting to be able to see 3ABN or LLBN but this was before the Adventists had some big conference, guess the demand dropped off after that.

To be completely honest, around here if GloryStar/DayStar were advertised I bet there'd be at least a few people jumping into it since I live in a rather religious part of the country. I know LOTS of people who are very religious and don't watch much TV because the content isn't on par with their beliefs. If given an option to watch programming like what's on GloryStar I bet they'd do it.

And on the other end of the spectrum, our local PBS station disappeared last year due to a lack of funding, and I know of a number of people who might go as far as to add an FTA dish just to get access to PBS again, or even Al Jazeera English, which are the channels I really want to get.

Well, I'd certainly appreciate some help putting the dish on the edge of the roof 20 feet/ 3 meters off the ground. Might be fun for some, but I've got no head for heights.

Heh, that might be the only blah to the whole thing. I don't have a fear of heights per say, but I'm a big ol' boy. "The larger they are the harder they fall" doesn't sit too well with me if 20-30 feet up on a ladder or climbing through someone's attic :) In our old house I about fell through the ceiling running some speaker wire through my attic once when I stepped on what I thought was a joist to find it was just a scrap piece of wood not attached to anything. Not a good thing if this happens at someone else's house.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that more people I run into aren't interested in FTA. I've talked to individuals and church folks, they give you blank stares. 2nd question I get is, do I get all the channels I'm already getting with cable too...after that the conversation ends. A guy I work with has rabbit ears and gets a few OTA channels. I offered to put an antenna on his roof or even a very basic FTA setup in for free! His wife who runs the show at the house says they aren't not interested. They are avid tv watcherss too. So I'll enjoy the hobby myself...Blind

there's probably a big untapped ethnic market out there. Arab countries but also Serbian, Dutch, Polish, Chinese etc. look for a Portugese club and arrange a demo to give them a taste of home. Stress no monthly fees. Don't know if you could make a living but could be a good weekend job

I do FTA work mostly for people who dont know how to point the dish or get the receiver set up and most people I have worked with are over age 60 and
most are very kind , thankfull and prompt in paying the installer bill. Most people I work with want religious or news programs.

Hi there. To answer your questions, yes there is a market for FTA installer, but you will have to create it yourself. You go after the ethnic or religious clientele in your are, do a good job installing your satellite dishes, and get the word of mouth rolling. Word of mouth is your best advertising channel (specially in the ethnic community). Good luck to you and don't give up. Hard work pays!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts