Is there a non whole home dvr with DTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digger100

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
Iowa
I will be getting DTV next week. I dont need whole home dvr. Do they still charge you an extra $15 fee for having a dvr even if isnt whole home? I will have a 4 HDTV setup. I just need a regular dvr and as cheap a monthly dvr and extra receiver's setup as I can get.

Thank you so much for any help.

If you will be a new customer, the fee structure is $15/month, which includes dvr service and whole home. I don't think there is any way around it. HD is included in the monthly fee, and you pay for every box including the first one.

Adding on to what Chip just stated, DirecTV has also been moving towards the SWiM topology for their back-end residential infrastructure. This means that you only have to have a single coaxial cable ran to each given receiver, where the receiver receives "channels" of logical lines that are multiplexed on the single coaxial cable from the SWiM device.

Further, even if whole-home DVR were separated out on your bill, it is a $3 separate charge. I know some people that would be apoplectic over spending an additional $3 on their video bill, but when one is paying more than $50 (and likely more than $70) a month for channels and then $6.50/receiver, in perspective, I'm not sure how much the $3 makes a difference.

On the other hand, we have a Genie HR44 DVR with one wireless Genie mini and a recently replaced HR22-100 (previously had an even older HR20-100 that simply died on us a week ago -- it was our first foray into HD from back in 2007). Whole-home DVR is really nice and a great convenience for the whole family. We can't say enough good about the setup.

For me, I'm awaiting Apple's big dip into TV with their AppleTV refresh. We'll see.

I will be getting DTV next week. I dont need whole home dvr. Do they still charge you an extra $15 fee for having a dvr even if isnt whole home? I will have a 4 HDTV setup. I just need a regular dvr and as cheap a monthly dvr and extra receiver's setup as I can get.

Thank you so much for any help.
I probably shouldn't tell you this:shh,but there is a non-whole home DVR,but we dare not mention its name,for it is the:eeek..........the DirecTiVo THR-22.

Reactions: raoul5788
I probably shouldn't tell you this:shh,but there is a non-whole home DVR,but we dare not mention its name,for it is the:eeek..........the DirecTiVo THR-22.
Years ago, we used to have a TiVo, but then some upgrade thereafter we went against it.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why folks prefer the TiVo brand and/or why DirecTV continues to carry it (I realize they carry it due to demand; I'm wanting to know what's demanding it)?

Years ago, we used to have a TiVo, but then some upgrade thereafter we went against it.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why folks prefer the TiVo brand and/or why DirecTV continues to carry it (I realize they carry it due to demand; I'm wanting to know what's demanding it)?
Frankly for TiVo fanboys who just don't want to give up their TiVo. As has been mentioned numerous times before in older threads,THIS box is based on outdated TiVo technology & in no way compares to their Roamio or even their older Premiere DVR's. Its GUI is non-HD. It is for those who just have to have a TiVo DVR for Directv.

It is also a major step backwards from the HR DVR's that Directv has come out with that does not have TiVo as their operating system. When the THR-22 came out,it was based on an older bo:mad:the HR-22) that the HR-24 far surpassed when it came out,& now we have the Genie. Also,like I said the TiVo GUI on this box is outdated & doesn't even compare to the cable/OTA DVR's like the Premiere & its successor,the Roamio.

but there is a non-whole home DVR,but we dare not mention its name,for it is the:eeek..........the DirecTiVo THR-22.

Except it's going to be MORE expensive than the non-Tivo units, since D* charges the extra $5 Tivo-tax, on top of the other ($15) advanced receiver fees...so that's a non-starter right there...

Reactions: Troch77
Some one looking for a Non Whole Home DVR, you have to ask what they don't like about the WH set up, is it the $3 cost, or is it that they don't want to see all the recorded shows on all DVR recvrs ?
If it's viewing all the shows on other recvrs, there ARE ways around that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.