Is there a planned replacement for the 811?

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I'm just curious because I own an 811 receiver, and I lease an 811. I use one for my upstairs TV, and one downstairs for a front projector. I'm thinking about the future with DVR's, PVR's or whatever they're called, and what would be the most cost effective way to be able to tune 2 HD receivers separately, like I'm doing now, with my 2 811's. If I had a PVR such as the 942 upstairs, is the 942 all I would need? Could I still tune the projector downstairs separately, or would I need another HD tuner downstairs? I hope this makes sense.

The 942 only provides HD to one tv, the one where the receiver will be installed. So yes you'd still need another HD receiver for your second HDTV

I would wait until DISH makes up their minds about the MPEG-4 transition since the 942 is not MPEG-4 upgradeable and you will need a receiver (none have been announced yet) that can do MPEG-4 for the new HD channels DISH should have in the future.

Thanks guys

Yes, I am going to wait to see what happens. So the 942 only has 1 HD tuner, is that right? Is that the same with Directv and Voom also, I'd need a second HD tuner downstairs?

The 942 has two satellite HD tuners and ond OTA HD tuner.
It has two outputs ONE HD and ONE SD.

Yes there is a planned replacement for the 811 using MPEG4 I understand there are a few prototypes working in the lab.

We will see it once MPEG4 channels are available.

Any reason why it has to receive satellite signals too? There are a couple of low-cost options. A low end ATSC tuner costs in the range of $200 - $300 now. If you get one of those, you can receive OTA, and no second receiver fees. It is completely free HD! I don't think you will see TV stations moving from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, it seems that their encoding standard is set in stone. No real need for cable or satellite the way there used to be.

You could also cancel the 811 you bought and leave it connected to the satellite, it will still receive OTA just fine. No fees, no worries about being future proof. Someday soon, they will start selling boxes that are PVRs that have name based recording and will run off the PSIP data stream for guide data. There will be no need for the cable pig, or the satellite dish pig unless you want "extras". I only subscribe to the HD pack for my livingroom TV. No need for extras on a second receiver for me.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I understand there are a few prototypes working

If they're prototypes, shouldn't they be available to customers? ;)

Oh, nevermind, you said they're working... probably won't be available 'till the software guys break them :rolleyes:

My 6000 is long overdue for replacement with a more modern unit. Here's hoping that they get the MPEG4 stuff right!

Dave

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes there is a planned replacement for the 811 using MPEG4 I understand there are a few prototypes working in the lab.

We will see it once MPEG4 channels are available.

OK Scott, spill the beans my friend!! ;)

I think one of the things they are working on is an MPEG4 to MPEG2 switch. If they can get that to work, it would be really nice, because then they wouldn't have to sawp receivers...

Logically, I'd say the 822 will replace the 811 based on the 942 replacing the 921. But, then, it could be the 844 to emphasize the MPEG-4 capability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)