Is there a single tuner receiver with more than one set of outputs?

sync

Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
I want to hook up a Dish receiver to a DVD recorder. The recorder has three sets of inputs. I want to be able to watch Dish when the recorder is recording from one of the inputs that isn't connected to the Dish receiver.

I know that the 7x00, 50x, 510 and 721 have two sets of composite A/V outputs, you can run one to your normal output device and the other to a recording device. If you are using S-Video to the DVD recorder, sorry, all of them only have one of those but you maybe could use a splitter of some sort.

The dual-output boxes (322,522) have one set per TV output, if you use single mode then they are the same.

boba said:
All receivers that I can think of have RF Ch3/4 and composite A/V and "S"video outputs.
I should have said more than one complete set of outs. I need two sets of audio and s-video outs.

Pepper said:
I know that the 7x00, 50x, 510 and 721 have two sets of composite A/V outputs, you can run one to your normal output device and the other to a recording device. If you are using S-Video to the DVD recorder, sorry, all of them only have one of those but you maybe could use a splitter of some sort.

The dual-output boxes (322,522) have one set per TV output, if you use single mode then they are the same.
I've heard that the 322 causes problems with a DVD recorder because it gets stuck on a screen that requires manual intervention. And according to the Dish site it's only for new lease customers. This would be a second receiver.

I want to use s-video and those seem to require expensive powered devices for splitting.
I was also recently looking for an inexpensive S-video Y cable to run two S-video devices off of one output. I came up with two options. This from RadioShack, which is marked as an extender but can be used as a splitter as well (look closely at the backside of the plugs). The second option is this from MCM, which is the option I went with. The short bit of cable between the connectors is thinner than I would like, but it does the job.
Be aware that splitting an output like that will halve the impedance, and halve the voltage that each input sees. The obvious effect will be that the picture will be significantly dimmer than before. You will need to recalibrate to match the new levels. Same applies to splitting composite or audio cables (6dB reduction in volume for audio).
You'd need one of those more expensive distribution amplifiers to avoid that. Say something like this would fit the bill nicely, but is overkill and overly expensive. You may be able to find cheaper elsewhere.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you should be able to construct a simple s-video distribution amp. All you need is some connectors, a board, a power source, and a two good op-amps configured for 6dB gain. Add some buffers to the output if you feel like it. Probably cost around $20 in parts (off the top of my head, so don't hold me to that).

For the life of me I can't understand why Dish doesn't put two S-Video outputs in their boxes. On something like the 311 I can sort of understand it, but on a high-end device like the 921 (and 721 before it), it's almost insulting to not have at least two. And for higher-end devices like the 721 and 522 there should be component outputs. The signal is sent in component video (all MPEG2 video is), so then recombining the Cb and Cr channels for S-Video output is just silly, especially since even non-HD televisions have component inputs standard these days. [steps off soapbox]

-- Dave

I'm about a 20 minute drive from MCM's warehouse--I've gotten many things there. But a lot of times their prices are a joke so be careful if you look for other things there. That item is priced pretty reasonably though. :)

David_R said:
For the life of me I can't understand why Dish doesn't put two S-Video outputs in their boxes. On something like the 311 I can sort of understand it, but on a high-end device like the 921 (and 721 before it), it's almost insulting to not have at least two.
:clap Amen! All receivers that have 2 sets of outputs should have each set complete with S-Video on both. Especially the x22 models which can independently feed 2 TVs. Dish is so stuck in the mindset of not providing one for the second output that early indications are the 942's TV2 output (TV1 is HD only, TV2 is SD only) will not have S-Video.

Just to add, that some receivers do come with 2 outputs of RCAs. So you wouldn't need to split the audio. Personally I'd avoid all this and use s-video for one TV and RCAs for the other, but I can understand what you want. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts