Is there a way to get SD channels on HD receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Basically as I've said many times before I'm using my 211 until my 722 I ordered comes in. Anyway I hooked it up to the projector then hooked it up to the computer with rca cables like I had the 721 hooked up. I use the computer to record stuff and then put it on a dvd. Anyway it seems like it does fine if I'm watching a SD channel or a HD channel thats in 4:3. The problem is when I'm watching a HD program thats in 16x9 it wants to just chop the sides off on the computer. I was trying to record something off of ABC family tonight and it was doing that. I though oh what the heck I will just go to the sd channel for ABC family which is 180. Well, as luck would have it it's in HD too. Or atleast widescreen on that channel now. I didn't check to see if it was hd as I was watching it on my computer. I thought it would be normal SD.

Is there a way to get around this? I have my tv set as a 16x9 in the receiver settings. Do I need to change this to 4x3? If that fixes it will this be something I have to change back and forth everytime I want to record something or is there and easier way around this?

Basically as I've said many times before I'm using my 211 until my 722 I ordered comes in. Anyway I hooked it up to the projector then hooked it up to the computer with rca cables like I had the 721 hooked up. I use the computer to record stuff and then put it on a dvd. Anyway it seems like it does fine if I'm watching a SD channel or a HD channel thats in 4:3. The problem is when I'm watching a HD program thats in 16x9 it wants to just chop the sides off on the computer. I was trying to record something off of ABC family tonight and it was doing that. I though oh what the heck I will just go to the sd channel for ABC family which is 180. Well, as luck would have it it's in HD too. Or atleast widescreen on that channel now. I didn't check to see if it was hd as I was watching it on my computer. I thought it would be normal SD.

Is there a way to get around this? I have my tv set as a 16x9 in the receiver settings. Do I need to change this to 4x3? If that fixes it will this be something I have to change back and forth everytime I want to record something or is there and easier way around this?

Use the "*" key on the bottom of the remote. This will cycle through the different Aspect ratios on the Dish Network HD receivers.

"Normal" will leave the channel in its original aspect ratio be that 4x3 or 16x9
"Stretch" will stretch the image normally used for users that want SD Material or 4x3 HD content to fill the entire screen (this distorts the image)
"Partial Zoom" this is great for a SD channel letterboxing the 4x3 image, When in partial zoom a 16x9 letterboxed SD channel will completely fill the screen of a 16x9 display with NO distortion, although depending on a channels actual content some clipping of the image is likely.
"Zoom" will Magnify the image so it will fill the screen although the image will be clipped both vertically and Horizontally
"Grey Bar" this is for people that view a lot of SD content or 4x3 HD content on plasma screens. Using Grey instead of Black Bars will make Burn in less likely.

The Aspect ratio you pick will depend on what is better for a particular channel.

The Aspect Ratio selection for HD sticks for HD channels, the Selection for SD sticks to all of the SD channels.

If you are using the SD outputs to supply a signal to another recording device (Computer, DVD etc..) then the SD output will NOT be the same aspect ratio as the HD outputs. In most cases 16x9 content will be letterboxed on the SD outputs, or the image can be clipped, it all depends on the selected Aspect ratio. If you are in Single mode then the TV#2 outputs can not be changed to anything other than "Normal" aspect ratio.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)