Is there a way to record something off the DVR?

ArTT Vandelay

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
say, to a PC or even a vcr? I suppose I could plug in the vcr to the video out, then tv to the vcr, old school...

but pc would be preferrable. is an external hard drive the only supported device on usb?

I use a analog-to-firewire converter between my 622 and my computer. I record things I want to keep in real time as if to a VCR, but as high quality AVI files. Then, I drop those files into Adobe Encore and encode them to DVD. Kind of round about, but I get pretty high quality DVDs. The nice thing is, if you put a 622 in single mode (or whatever they call it), you can output an anamorphic picture though the S-Vid jack. If you record a high-def program, you wind up with a near-commercial-quality, true-widescreen DVD. If you encode a program longer than 75 minutes, you will lose some quality, but as far as archiving goes, it's far better than VHS, or even Super-VHS. (I do have quite a few anamorphic S-VHS tapes made the same way.)

I use a analog-to-firewire converter between my 622 and my computer. I record things I want to keep in real time as if to a VCR, but as high quality AVI files. Then, I drop those files into Adobe Encore and encode them to DVD. Kind of round about, but I get pretty high quality DVDs. The nice thing is, if you put a 622 in single mode (or whatever they call it), you can output an anamorphic picture though the S-Vid jack. If you record a high-def program, you wind up with a near-commercial-quality, true-widescreen DVD. If you encode a program longer than 75 minutes, you will lose some quality, but as far as archiving goes, it's far better than VHS, or even Super-VHS. (I do have quite a few anamorphic S-VHS tapes made the same way.)

I've done likewise with an EyeTV on a Mac - it records as MPEG-2, I convert it to MP4 or MOV....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)