Is there a way to record without a DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rmims404

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2007
Since I changed to DirecTv and got two H21 HD receivers, I find that I can't record to my vcr because the H21's require a B band converter inline to the receivers. I tried using a splitter but that resulted in no signal. Is there a way to record to my VCR or is a receiver with DVR capability the only answer? I don't really record enough to merit the extra cost of a DVR. I maybe record something only a few times a year but I would like the convenience. Thanks for any help.

All OUTPUTS of the receiver should be active so you could run a set of composite cables (RCA) to your VCR and record that way. You would have to have the receiver displaying what you wanted to record, so you could not record one channel and watch another.

Why not run the composite video out to the VCR? The in-line BBC has not bearing on recording to a VCR, CDR , etc.

Thanks to both of you guys. I feel so stupid. I have been tinkering with audio equipment for 40 years and I guess I put my hands in gear before I put my brain in gear. My Panasonic vcr had an input button on the remote where you can toggle between line inputs or channel inputs (channel 3 or 4). I changed that to line input after I hooked up my RCA cables (red/white audio and yellow video) then picture & sound appeared. Problem solved. Thanks.

DVR charges for DIRECTV are $5.99/mo. for all DVRs on your account and you can sub to a package that includes that charge for either SD or HD packages. Why would you not do that? VCR is so 80s.

I don't really record enough to merit the extra cost of a DVR. I maybe record something only a few times a year but I would like the convenience. Thanks for any help.
You have no idea what you're missing. I used to think the same thing before we got our first Tivo about 6 years ago. I always thought it sounded like a cool toy, but didn't think we'd use it much. Then my gf got a job in retail, and was always calling me last minute asking "can you tape this?" Then I'd start digging through tapes, trying to figure out what we had and hadn't watched already. I bit the bullet on a Tivo, and the rest is history.

A DVR truly changes the way you watch TV, and we don't even do as much time-shifting as many out there do. We set a lot of recordings "just in case". We intend to watch them live, but if we get caught up doing yard work or at the grocery store and don't get home in time, we don't have to worry about it. Or now with remote scheduling, I may hear about something new or remember that I forgot to set up a recording and do it right from my computer or cell phone. Maybe even more handy is the ability to pause and rewind. Go grab a beer or to the bathroom any time you want - no waiting for commercials. If the phone rings, simply hit pause, and pick back up when you're off the phone. I can't tell you how often we'll be watching TV and one of us will say "what did they say?" Rewind...

It seems so trivial, and I know what it's like to think you really don't need it, but everyone here will tell you that once you get one, you'll say "how did I ever live without this?"

We don't have a TV in our house without a DVR... :) (and we routinely only set up 2 of them to record programs)

You have no idea what you're missing. I used to think the same thing before we got our first Tivo about 6 years ago. I always thought it sounded like a cool toy, but didn't think we'd use it much. Then my gf got a job in retail, and was always calling me last minute asking "can you tape this?" Then I'd start digging through tapes, trying to figure out what we had and hadn't watched already. I bit the bullet on a Tivo, and the rest is history.

A DVR truly changes the way you watch TV, and we don't even do as much time-shifting as many out there do. We set a lot of recordings "just in case". We intend to watch them live, but if we get caught up doing yard work or at the grocery store and don't get home in time, we don't have to worry about it. Or now with remote scheduling, I may hear about something new or remember that I forgot to set up a recording and do it right from my computer or cell phone. Maybe even more handy is the ability to pause and rewind. Go grab a beer or to the bathroom any time you want - no waiting for commercials. If the phone rings, simply hit pause, and pick back up when you're off the phone. I can't tell you how often we'll be watching TV and one of us will say "what did they say?" Rewind...

It seems so trivial, and I know what it's like to think you really don't need it, but everyone here will tell you that once you get one, you'll say "how did I ever live without this?"

We don't have a TV in our house without a DVR... :) (and we routinely only set up 2 of them to record programs)

I am in the same boat as you, except I never went the TIVO route.
Didn't think I would really need the DVR, I use to record off of D* onto my vcr for awhile, then when the HD OTA's hit my area, I found that when vcr'ing then I was losing the HD format, now I can't believe how I ever lived without one ....

It's so much easier than setting up two different items to turn on and start recording at the same time.
I finally saved up a few bucks , called D* to see what the best price I could get at the time and went with it.
My first D* HD DVR was $ 399 I think... But I'll never go back.
The only reason I don't have one in the bedroom is I only use the bedroom TV just before bed, and I think I may hear the HD when it's not in an enclosed situation, maybe. I may still do that eventually.

Jimbo

Guys, remember, some people are on really tight budgets.
No one is telling the OP that he is an idiot for not having a DVR. Many people still don't (my parents and in-laws included). But his justification was that he rarely tapes anything. I was just pointing out that many of us thought the same thing at one point - and quickly found out that a DVR immediately enhanced and improved our TV watching experience. For anyone that still doesn't want a DVR or can't afford one, carry on! (you don't know what you're missing) :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)