Is there a way to request OTA guide data?

benjamindorsey

Original poster
May 29, 2015
Lafayette, LA
I'm in the Lafayette, Louisiana, market. There's missing OTA guide data, and I was curious if there was a way to request that they be added. I'm only talking about subchannels of channels already part of Dish locals.

Thanks!
Ben

If you search you will find an existing thread but I do not think that DISH has made this a priority.

Good luck with getting anyone at Dish to care, but digital service is all you're going to get in the listings from Dish
To be fair, not a accurate blanket statement. Depends on your market/DMA. In Indy, we have all the subs guides.

To be fair, not a accurate blanket statement. Depends on your market/DMA. In Indy, we have all the subs guides.

Fine, not a blanket statement; but 99% accurate in my opinion. When was the last time you had a new subchannel added to the market that wasn't just replacing an existing channel?

4 new sub channels in Tulsa (MeTV, Grit, Escape, Laff) in the past couple of years, no guide data.

3 channels (Cozi, GetTv and Bounce) that replaced (Zuus, White Harvest, LWN) existing channels that already had guide data and the new channels got data nearly immediately, the most recent being Bounce replaced LWN and the listings were changed within an hour of the station making the network change.

1 channel (Create) no guide data even though the other 3 PBS channels in the mux have guide data.

Go outside in a windstorm. Face into the wind. Shout out your request.

Sorry. That's about as effective as asking Dish. I've come to believe that Dish feels they are very generous with what they do so far. So much so, I can see the day when I buy a separate DVR for OTA. That would hasten some more cord cutters. Stupid move not to support, Dish/Echostar!

Sorry. That's about as effective as asking Dish. I've come to believe that Dish feels they are very generous with what they do so far. So much so, I can see the day when I buy a separate DVR for OTA. That would hasten some more cord cutters. Stupid move not to support, Dish/Echostar!

Already done that. Hello Tivo, my most used dvr now.

Well doesn't cost anything if you ignore the cost of a lifetime subscription. Looks like at this time around $500. And I don't think the OTA only model offers a lifetime subscription.

Well doesn't cost anything if you ignore the cost of a lifetime subscription. Looks like at this time around $500. And I don't think the OTA only model offers a lifetime subscription.

OTA model does now offer Lifetime. Roamio OTA model is $399 total including Lifetime.

https://www.tivo.com/roamioota2176

They had a trial a few weeks ago where you could get it for $299 and sold out quick. They have come back with a $399 price point now for the Roamio OTA model. If you watch the sales, then you can get a Roamio Basic (which does Cable or OTA) for $500 if you use the PLSR code when purchasing the lifetime service.

Reactions: foghorn2
So if an OTA model I amend my post, if you ignore the $400 lifetime cost of that unit only, not any replacement unit if needed, the guide is free. I'm not so much making a judgement if it is worth it or not, for some it probably it worth it, but lets not say the guide does not cost anything.

Yeah, I use my TiVo for the MANY English language subs that Dish obviously REFUSES to provide info for in the EPG. I believe that in some form, either cost to Tribune or some cost to Dish in personnel, Cheap Charlie is balking to any notion to providing complete EPG sub-channel data if it costs him one extra Penney.

My view is that while it might cost Dish something, it surely can't be that much (Charlie may just not like the IDEA of having someone tending a bit extra love to sub-channel data; he can't wrap his head around the notion because it has nothing to do DIRECTLY with satellite services, his real money maker. Ergen probably thinks, "I'm not TiVo or Channel Master +. I'm not in the OTA business; I'm satellite and OTT." ), it does ENHANCE the Dish DVR/Hopper experience for subscribers to have such a great DVR that has ALL the OTA EPG data allowing his customers to get the most out of their Dish service. It is well worth the cost of doing business to have at least the Hopper provide such comprehensive EPG that it makes the Hopper even better. How embarrassing it is to have all the Digital Service or the name of the channel in place of EPG data for the sub-channels when people ask why can't Dish provide that data because they like Decades or Bounce or Grit, Escape, GetTV and more. It makes the DVR and Hopper service look HALF-BAKED, and EL CHEAPO! And if it is too much data or file too large to send via sat, then send some of it it via internet to our internet connected Hoppers. At least Joe was trying to get Dish to class up a bit, but the no data for sub-channels is proof that Cheap Charlies is still large and in charge, once again as CEO.

I'm in the Lafayette, Louisiana, market. There's missing OTA guide data, and I was curious if there was a way to request that they be added. I'm only talking about subchannels of channels already part of Dish locals.
Some of the sub-channels have guide data, yes ? If so, that's all you'll get. This is really an automatic process but only for sub-channels that existing before a certain date or time frame in the past (I can't remember exactly when right now). It's been 2 years or so....

None of the local stations in the Indy market have added NEW sub-channels in 2+ years ? I don't mean changing a weather sub-channel to Me-TV. The local CBS did that and the guide data switched over perfectly and that is because the sub-channel existed all along. More recently, they added a 3rd sub-channel which is Laff TV. It has no guide data.

Well, point taken. Did not even know Laff was on around here. 8.3 is just radar.

I lost Guide data for THIS from baltimore when it moved from 45-2 to 45-3. The DC channel never had guide data.

Scanning here with the Hopper OTA module I get anywhere from 65 to 89 sub-channels, depending on which way my antenna is pointed. I sure wish they didn't wipe out the list every time it scanned. If I could just "Add digital channels", I would have about 125 in my scan list. Yup, we've got that many here in the SF Bay Area! One station, KAXT, has 13, several have 8, many have 6. We only have two stations now with no sub-channels. Oh, and about half have no guide data.

Larry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts