Is there a way to turn off system updates????

Simply put. No. Not yet. It's been requested, and may be changed into he future, but as of now do not hold your breath.

You can however, go into the menus and change it to a different time that you'd like better. My VIP722k is changed from the default 3am, to 5am as it suits me better.
NOT on a Hopper. After all these years you still cannot change the time.

The only thing you can do is set a timer so that it is recording during the time you need it to stay on.

Reactions: JSheridan
It's been requested, and may be changed into he future
It was reported here by a very reliable source that the option is "in" the software and "the next update" will finally enable it. That "next update" was at least a year ago.

On a related note, why does it need to turn off ? It is not needed to download new guide data. That has been confirmed by DIRT that it can occur 24 hours a day, so long as a tuner is available. I won't believe that no one's Hopper has all (3) tuners busy all the time. Is it grab the AutoHop data ? I wonder if anyone has stayed up late enough, deferred the shutdown over and over and by 6-7 am programs are auto-hoppable ? I know that 24 hours isn't necessary (Big Bang Theory had AutoHop this morning, between 6-7am, for last night's episode).

It only requests up to a specific time. I think 5:30 is the last request. As far as turning off, if it snags the update(again just comparing to other devices here but definite differences) it resets to install any features. The way I think about it, I just updated Skype on my computer. When it finished downloading, it had to restart to install the rest. This is my impression of what's going on with patches going through, and it taking the autohits Dish will send out. I don't think it is necessary every night, but just what the process of what it is doing.

From a computer standpoint, unless they update the (Linux) kernel, no restart should be necessary. Everything can be restarted without rebooting.

Reactions: gms49ers
It's an Acer running Windows 8.1. This just happened when I had to update the Skype software. I could still use Skype, but until I updated it, it wouldn't let me access the new features.

The DVR is nothing more than a computer with tuners. The Dish interface is simply an app (or service).
The apps, icons, cached Joey firmware, etc may live on the HD, but I'd bet most if not all of the code running for routine TV usage is in flash. A "version update" would require a reboot in most situations. They could use JFFS or similar to avoid a boot, but there really isn't any need to. As infrequent as version updates are, much better to have one well tested clean start update method.

The routine nightly updates are another matter though, they really should be able to cut out daily boots, but we've been saying since the early VIP days. They either like or need the way it is.

Reactions: ChadT41
Set an auto tune manual timer an hour or so after the overnight updates and set your Hopper not to go into standby and it will be bright eyed and bushey-taled for you every morning - the only way to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts