Is there any content Dish has that DirecTV doesn't?

psychotrope

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
(Other than the outstanding Dish DVRs, of course). This is NOT supposed to be an argument over which service provider is better. I just want to know if there are any significant (read as: good) channels that Dish has that DirecTV doesn't. From what I can tell, *D has everything that *E has and then some, content-wise. Obviously, with *E we have great Sling-Loaded 922 and of course price is always a factor. There are other Dish advantages.

Please, this is not an attempt at trolling. I just honestly want to know if there is anything content-wise that Dish has, that DirecTV doesn't. I am a Dish customer.

EPIX channels, Retro movie channel and BBC America in HD.

If you go to the DirectTv website they actually have an HD comparison page
to see which channels Direct has compared to Dish.

Much more than that. Dish has all these that DirecTV doesn't, which is precisely why I just left DirecTV for Dish myself. I've got to have Mad Men and Top Gear.

AMC
BBCA
Centric
Cooking
DIY
E!
Fashion
G4
Gala
Hist Intl
HLN
ID
Lifetime Movie
Logo
Mav
Nat Geo Wild
Shorts
Style
TruTV
TCM
Fox Soccer
Indie Plex
Retro Plex
World Fishing Network
4 additional HBO's
2 additional Cinemax's

Sony Movie (next week)

One big difference is that Dish offers much more International channels (packages) than Directv does.

Eurochannel is on the international satellite (118.7), but everything it broadcasts has English-language subtitles. It is one of my favorite channels. DirecTV doesn't have it.

The reason we switched from DirecTV to Dish was for the Italian channel RAI. Our cable provider always had it and we were surprised when DirecTV didn't so after our contract was up we came to dish and have been very pleased with it so far. Fox Soccer HD is also nice however it's disturbing knowing DirecTV shows ALL of the UEFA Champions League and Europa League matches free while on Dish we only get what's on Fox Soccer Channel and FSE with no option at all to see the rest of the matches.

We'll stay with Dish because the overall price is much lower and we really need RAI, but I could see us switching back to DirecTV at some point and just keeping Dish for RAI and paying the access fee.

Much more than that. Dish has all these that DirecTV doesn't, which is precisely why I just left DirecTV for Dish myself. I've got to have Mad Men and Top Gear.

AMC
BBCA
Centric
Cooking
DIY
E!
Fashion
G4
Gala
Hist Intl
HLN
ID
Lifetime Movie
Logo
Mav
Nat Geo Wild
Shorts
Style
TruTV
TCM
Fox Soccer
Indie Plex
Retro Plex
World Fishing Network
4 additional HBO's
2 additional Cinemax's

Sony Movie (next week)

Sorry your list is not even close to being correct unless you are talking about the HD feeds. Directv has many of the stations that you have listed.

Sorry. Yes, my list is only HD. I forgot SD existed :)

Keep in mind that D* SD is pretty much unwatchable unless you have a small screen.

I have no problem with SD channels on Direct

Sorry. Yes, my list is only HD. I forgot SD existed :)

Keep in mind that D* SD is pretty much unwatchable unless you have a small screen.

I am not sure what you mean by unwatchable.

The best HD I have seen is UVERSE, but in my view they have other issues

Thanks, I appreciate the links and resources. You have been very helpful in answering my question.

I am not sure what you mean by unwatchable.

The best HD I have seen is UVERSE, but in my view they have other issues
I assume you meant SD. On D* SD, the compression artifacts are horrible (look at the mosquitoing around the edge of the picture), sharpness is non-existent, resolution is worse than a VCR, even the color depth is terrible. You can't really tell on a small SD set (30" or less), but on a big HD screen it truly is unwatchable. SD on Dish is slightly better. I agree that SD on Uverse is the best of the lot. I haven't seen FIOS.

You guys must have sucky Tv's.

SD tv is fine on all of mine. HD is better sure, But SD is hardly unwatchable.

But Dish should have the best PQ since they keep dropping more channels then they add.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)