GEOSATpro Is there any "disk maintaining" needed....in attached hard drive on Micro HD?

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
I've enjoyed recording and "banking up" programming on the MHD unit so much, I realized last night I'm down to about a quarter of the original available space, so I started deleting things I want to "let go."

Don't see any "defrag" type things referenced on the MHD menu.

Question: is space accurately reported after large amounts of deleting, and is there any kind of disk "stuff" that one should do to clean
the disk up after large amounts of deletion or does it not affect space reporting and efficiency to just keep it going....and going....and going.......??

Perhaps I've missed this in another thread. Apologies if it's been asked!

Love the MHD unit! Nice having reliable recording and no stuttering.

Signed,
Just curious in West Michigan...
a/k/a "radio"

Most storage drives I've used havn't required defragging, but it doesn't hurt to check. Unplug it from the micro and hook it to the computer and look :)

I normally don't worry about "storage" drives which this is, but its frequent add/delete and the seemingly slower rate at which it deletes things now had me wondering! But.....given your idea, which seems a good one, would the MHD still be able to "read" a drive if one defragged it in another machine???? Big risk of losing programming????

Ideally, I know...I should dump off the "saves" to the laptop, burn 'em and save 'em. Haven't had time yet!

No problems with any of that. In fact you can watch a 4:2:2 feed by recording on the micro and then playback on the computer with appropriate codec.

I think --(1/2 step above assume) the microHD to Hard Drive recording is in proper file system. I have not used it a lot, but deleting a bunch of old DVR files and then recording several new Micro files, and then remembering to defrag -- all the files that had been left on the drive did play back, on the microHD or the computer. (Defrag did lose files from the DVR1100c) -- The MicroHD did not seem to lose ANY.

That's sounding good! I have no indication of need to defrag yet, but the deletion is taking longer on standard length files, so maybe I do.....
Once my "faves" are copied to laptop, Will experiment!

We might call this an edit... Direct recording for the DVR1100c to the Hard drive allowed some unaccessable files. Transferring files from a USB thumb drive to the hard drive, via my computer worked OK, no files corrupted or lost. The 1100c sometimes took over 5 minutes to close files on the hard drive, the micro has always closed in much less than 30 seconds.

I think the Micro uses NFS formatting as opposed to FAT that windoze uses so it shouldn't really require defragging, at least that's my experience with unix based systems if it is based on that... but maybe I am thinking of the Azbox...

The microHD USB drive may either be NTFS or FAT32 format. The drives may be formatted on either a computer or with the microHD.

On my personal system I use several 500gb drives with a mixture of NTFS and FAT32 formats. I swap between drives frequently.and format quite often to mass delete recordings. My drive management style doesn't help much in this thread! ;D

I had noted some DVR recordings made with original firmware that would not playback on newer firmware versions. Performed a disk repair on the NTFS formatted drive and found indexing errors. I also defragged. The DVR recordings were then able to be played. Not sure if it was a firmware issue or a drive error.

I usually convert recordings from my DVR drive to drives attached to my PCs. I use TSDoctor for this, which cleans up recordings and allows simple editing. It does not re-encode, so there is no lost quality. I then delete the original recordings to clear space on the DVR drive.

I had noted some DVR recordings made with original firmware that would not playback on newer firmware versions. Performed a disk repair on the NTFS formatted drive and found indexing errors. I also defragged. The DVR recordings were then able to be played. Not sure if it was a firmware issue or a drive error.

I'm having a problem where 2-3 dozen recordings made by the MicroHD show corrupted names on the DVR screen and play as blank video/audio when I attempt to view them. However, when I take the hard-drive to my PC it sees all the recordings and plays them all properly. New recordings are possible and function normally but previous recordings (i.e. before 3 days ago) are not. Note, the Hard drive in question has been used only for the an OpenBox S9 and for the MicroHD and never for any thing else. I ran Windows "checkdisk" tools and defrag on the Hard drive but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm having a problem where 2-3 dozen recordings made by the MicroHD show corrupted names on the DVR screen and play as blank video/audio when I attempt to view them. However, when I take the hard-drive to my PC it sees all the recordings and plays them all properly. New recordings are possible and function normally but previous recordings (i.e. before 3 days ago) are not. Note, the Hard drive in question has been used only for the an OpenBox S9 and for the MicroHD and never for any thing else. I ran Windows "checkdisk" tools and defrag on the Hard drive but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Hook the disc back to the MicroHD. Rename at least one of the "corrupted" files using the remote. See if it now magically plays or not. Let us know the results either way.

Does the drive get swapped between STBs?

I swapped the drive once when I retired the S9 for the MicroHD which happened around August 2012. Never went back to S9.

More detail, if it helps:

• The corrupted files have all been renamed to the same name as seen on the DVR screen.
  • The file durations appear to be what I expect them to be.
  • When I attempt to play any one of the corrupted recordings, the screen is blue and elapsed time indicator runs very fast, perhaps 1 min per 1-2 elapsed seconds
  • The drive size is 1TB, before deleting some files and defragging, 150GB space was free. After clean-up 600GB is free

Last edited:
Will one oh these recordings play if it is transferred to another drive?

I moved 4 recordings (4 entire folders) to a USB memory stick:

• MicroHD's DVR menu screen doesn't see the recordings
  • MicroHD's Video menu screen sees the folders but doesn't see the video files and pressing play just makes the menu bounce to higher level folder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)