Is there any way I can get networks/locals in HD?

CRFTony

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
I live in Somerset, PA (in between Pitts and Harrisburg). Dish Network doesn't offer my locals in HD. Neither does DirecTv. Even Comcast isn't offering HD service in this area. Yep, I live in the sticks. I've checked into an OTA but from what I've been told, due to the mountainous area of the region, I'd likely be out of luck.

Now, I don't care about whether the network feeds I get are actually "local". I'd be fine with national feeds, but Dish says they can't do that. It's so frustrating as I bought a nice HDTV last year and I watch network programming 80+% of the time and I'm stuck on nasty SD for all my favorite shows.

Is there any way I could work around this? Could I put up another dish? Anything at all? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the response!

I did a check switch and it lists Satellites 119, 110 and 61.5. I checked Pittsburgh and it's listed as 118.75. Could I "move" to Pittsburgh and get their feeds or would that not work?

You would need to "move" to someplace that has locals on 61.5. but is close enough that you are in their spot beam (may not be possible). To get 118.75 you would need a dish 500+. They cost about $100+ and it needs different mounting hardware then your current dishes. Anyway it wouldn't be easy.

Brad

It looks like the closest 61.5 is Washington, DC. Is there any way I can tell if I'm in that spotbeam?

I wouldn't be against upgrading to a Dish 500+, especially since bringing real HD to my area is pretty low on everyone's priority list. How does the mounting hardware differ?

It looks like the closest 61.5 is Washington, DC. Is there any way I can tell if I'm in that spotbeam?

I wouldn't be against upgrading to a Dish 500+, especially since bringing real HD to my area is pretty low on everyone's priority list. How does the mounting hardware differ?

You would have to do the upgrade yourself and pay for everything. You can't get Dish to supply you with a 500+ unless you really move to Pittsburgh. The mount is a 2" diameter mounting arm with stays. Also it uses a DP 34 switch, you would need to run another cable to your receiver if you have a dual tuner or buy a DP 44 switch at ~$150-$200. Also If you don't have the correct equipement to make cables with compression fittings you could have signal problems. You could pay a local sat installer to install it, but you would probably be looking at ~ $100-$200 labor there. Also you want to make sure you can trust the installer not to turn you in.

There are pix online that show the spot beams but I am not sure where to find them, someone here will know.

Boy, that does sound complicated. I don't mind the money as much as the fact that I'm afraid I'd screw something up. :eek:

I found a spot beam map on here and it does look like I'd be in the Washington spot beam loop. If I'd switch there to get my locals, would that alter anything with sports? For instance, would I lose Fox Sports Pittsburgh?

Boy, that does sound complicated. I don't mind the money as much as the fact that I'm afraid I'd screw something up. :eek:

I found a spot beam map on here and it does look like I'd be in the Washington spot beam loop. If I'd switch there to get my locals, would that alter anything with sports? For instance, would I lose Fox Sports Pittsburgh?

Yes you would loose Fox Sports Pittsburgh, unless that is what is shown in DC. Sorry no easy answers.

Some people have line of site to 129 in PA. If you can see 129 you could add a dish for 129 or reaim your 61.5 dish to 129. All of the hd locals on 129 are conus and not spotbeam. I would just go with a 500+ if you are looking at Pitt and an RSN that is local to you.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I guess maybe I'm destined to never have locals in HD, at least until Comcast gets around to offering them.

I'll check into the 500+, but I'm not sure where I could find an installer who would go along with it.

Thanks again! :)

And I guess you can't pick up locals with an OTA Antenna, some of the best quality HD picture can be found using an Over The Air Antenna. I see with you post your in the sticks, but how many air miles from the towers ? Some people are picking up a reliable signal from 50-60 miles away with a good antenna.

I would add a DP44, and a dish 500 plus and put an I bracket on the 500 and try to hit 129. Your sports stuff is not year around ? You can simply move to your new location while not sports season and move back when it is. I move when I need service or equipment from Dish and move back once the order is done, within a couple of hours or next day. I would try the OTA antenna, you could take it back if you have no luck, just do a temp install and see if you get anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts