Is there any way to get the 811 to output in the native resolution?

seandudley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Loudon, Tennessee
Hello,

I have an 811 hooked up to an HDTV that is capable of doing 720p or 1080i. I would like to be able to set the receiver to output in the native format for the channel, so when I am watching ABC for instance, it is output at 720p, but when I watch NBC which originates in 1080i, it outputs 1080i. The receiver seems to only have the option of saying you have a 1080i display or a 720p display, though, and won't let you select that your display can do both. Is there any way to get the receiver to output whatever the resolution is to the TV? I know the Voom receiver could do this when I had them, seems that the Dish receivers should be able to do so as well. Also, does anyone know if ESPN through Dish is sent at 720p, or are they changing it to 1080i before sending it out?

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

Nope you can't set it automatic. You'll have to change it for the channel you're watching. And yes ESPNs are 720p through dish

They all do it and it is a serious limitation to the Dish HD receivers.

One would think it relatively simple to pass through either format, since the receivers can already pass through a 720p native signal when in 720p output mode, and likewise for a 1080i signal when in 1080i output mode. Just bypass the conversion process and let your TV handle it.

I'm sure a lot of current HDTV sets would handle the conversion better than the Dish receiver can do it.

I would bet that your TV has only 1 display resolution. Depending on the display, all signals may have to be converted to the displays native rate, but your point is valid that you would like a native signal pass through.

The last thing you want is for the signal being converted to another format any more times than necessary, IE. 1080i->720p->768p

What display is it?

Also I wouled agree w/Tom that, in general, your display will do a better job of converting the signal to your displays native rate than your E* receiver, SO DISH if you are listening

I WOULD LIKE A NATIVE PASS THRU ON MY RECEIVER!

Hi,

The TV is a Sony KDL-32S2000. The native resolution is 1366 x 768. I'm not really sure if it displays a 720p picture progressively, or if it converts it and displays it as an interlaced signal.

seandudley said:
Hi,

The TV is a Sony KDL-32S2000. The native resolution is 1366 x 768. I'm not really sure if it displays a 720p picture progressively, or if it converts it and displays it as an interlaced signal.

With your TV all incoming signals are converted to your displays native rate by the TV's internal scaler (1366x768) because it is a custom resolution, so you do not want any unnecessary conversion by the STB, 1080i->720p-768p or 720p->1080i-768p

Jordan

Yep, that's what I was thinking.. thus I have now hooked up the over the air directly to the TV so that it can tune it without going through the Dish Network receiver. Still is a problem for ESPN, but at least for FOX and ABC it gets around the problem.

Did you experiment in trying both E* output modes from your receiver. I.e., comparing both 720p and 1080i channels when the receiver is set to 720p output vs how the same channels look with the output set to 1080i?

Several have reported that they like the 1080i setting better overall, but with some noticable degradation on the 720p channels. But this could vary on a different TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)