Is there any way to Record streaming Audio off of Surfer Network?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I work in a basement so can't get normal radio down here, and the network admins don't let us get streaming audio. There's some radio stations on Surfer Network that I'd like to record during my workdays and then copy to cd and listen to that at work. I've tried cassette recordings and stuff, but that's not a real solution since that only records 90 or so minutes. I'm wanting a full day or many days worth of recordings that I'll then copy to cd for later listening. Last year, I hooked a normal radio up to my computers soundcard in and tried that, but that wasn a really bad solution since it created all sorts of pops and hisses due to radio reception pops and slowness in the sound card itself. Normal streaming audio recorders you can find online at cnet and places don't seem to work with Surfer Network. Are there any streaming audio recorders that do work with that program? In particular, what I'm hoping to get taped is BXR's B to X. BXR is a local station that does something called B to X around the week of Thanksgiving every year, where they play their entire song library alphabetically from B to the Xs with no repeats (there are some breaks for football games and commercials, but no song repeats)... You play a lot of really bizzare stuff during that, and it's really good to hear that stuff that doesn't usually end up on the radio due to not being in the top 100 or so...

this may not be the solution you are looking for but when I used to work in radio we would use stereo vcr's in "slp" mode with 8 hour tapes for our audio logs, I use them here to tape talk shows off of the local (30 min of news and commercials an hour) Am station, then I blast through the junk and hear the whole show commercial free. All you need is a couple of cheep vcr's and a boom box that will accept AUX input and your set...audio quality is much higher on vhs than cassette and with longer run time.

Any program that allows you to record from the line-in jack on your sound card should be able to handle this. Select "mixer" as your source then it will record any sound that is going out to your speakers. That will also include the sounds that you have activated in Windows so you might want to disable those first before recording.

Guess I'm gonna go with line in + audacity and saving as mp3. Tried it last night, and quality ain't bad... can fit about 8 hours of audio on an mp3 that's small enough to fit on a cd and have a few hundred kb of info left.

You can use Replay Radio www.replay-radio.com. That will record and you can even set it to split the songs up into separate mp3s instead of one long one. However it is a program that you have to purchase.

I have used VLN. It is free and can record a stream. You can set the bitrate to record at and record for however much space you have on your disk.

Adacity should be able to do it. I've been running some tests with it. I was aware it existed but hadn't ever used it prior to posting about this stuff.

FYI, if any of you all want to tune in, the B2X starts at 5 PM CST on November 22, and runs until they get from the start of the Bs to the end of the Xs in their song library alphabetically, however long that takes (probably about a week), no repeats.. there may be some repeats and a few weekend things that interupt it like football games, special dedicated shows and stuff, but not too many. www.bxr.com for more info.

Still Playing Bs... now, at 11:02 PM CST - up to Best it's ever Been... LOTS OF MUSIC LEFT, and NO Repeats as long as they keep going with this B2X thingy and aren't in some special dealy bopper that interrupts it... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)