Is there anything cheaper than Dish Family?

tsheley

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I am trying to slim down my bills and I was wondering if there is anything below the Dish Family package or is that the cheapest package available?

Thanks.

It depends. I think this is correct, but if you have leased equipment (in other words, you didn't buy the equipment but it all belongs to DISH) then DISH Family is as low as you can go. If you have purchased equipment then I think you have the option of locals only ($10 a month) or something called the Welcome Pack ($15 a month). The Welcome Pack has the locals and a small handful of other channels. It has been a long time since I have fiddled with those two options.

The Welcome Pack depends on the status of the subscriber. My recollection is that it is no longer available to new subscribers.

Digital Converter box . Many can be found on clearance for $20-30 or the salvation army has them for $5-10 from time to time.

remove dish and replace with an UHF/VHF or the over hyped digital antenna . go to TV Fool and pick one for your location.

Monthly cost $0.00

Digital Converter box . Many can be found on clearance for $20-30 or the salvation army has them for $5-10 from time to time.

remove dish and replace with an UHF/VHF or the over hyped digital antenna . go to TV Fool and pick one for your location.

Monthly cost $0.00

Why didn't you just tell them to unplug the tv? That would be easier, cheaper, and more effective in some parts of the country. Your suggestion might work if they are close enough to get signal, but not everyone does. It also eliminates any tv worth watching, in my opinion.

At one time they did allow networks only for $10. call in and see what they can do for you in retention. Contrary to what I read here, any time I have called in with programming questions, they have been very helpful and were able to get done what I needed within reason.

There are those that suggest internet streaming, but my internet will not run fast enough for that to be acceptable, and all I have found so far is low resolution. Doesn't even look good on the computer monitor, can't imagine what it would look like on a big screen.

Good luck finding something that will work for you.

It depends. I think this is correct, but if you have leased equipment (in other words, you didn't buy the equipment but it all belongs to DISH) then DISH Family is as low as you can go. If you have purchased equipment then I think you have the option of locals only ($10 a month) or something called the Welcome Pack ($15 a month). The Welcome Pack has the locals and a small handful of other channels. It has been a long time since I have fiddled with those two options.

That, I believe is the correct response. I pay for my sister's account (she lives across the road from me). I had an old 510 lying around and an extra Dish 500, so I installed it for her and called to open a new account for her. I got her the welcome pack, with locals, for about $15.00 per month. About 6 months in, the 510 died. I ordered a new receiver, but wasn't really cognizant at the time that I was just leasing a DVR. Dish just told me that for me it would be $50 up front and free installation. Because it's leased, the monthly price is $19.97 or something like that. I just send them $20 a month. Interestingly, the Welcome pack has a decent selection of channels. I was also able to set my sister up with the Cinemax for a penny deal for a year. So, she has been really pleased with everything. However, I can't get her to use the DVR.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to decided between Dish Family or just OTA with a HTPC.

What would be the cheapest plan to maintain a 722 and EHDs on the account? I have a lot invested in the EHDs, drive cost and recording effort. Now in the throes of replace the 384 TCM recordings and some of the total 1400 films plus numerous series. I've got to come down from AEP+HD and 3 622-series recorders.$$
-Ken

Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to decided between Dish Family or just OTA with a HTPC.

OTA with a HTPC would be great if you couple that with a Netflix account with the instant streaming. I don't know what the cheapest Netflix with instant is - I pay $18 a month for a three at a time with unlimited instant streaming. Single DVD at a time would be chaeper. I bet you can easily get some really decent video entertainment for less than $20 per month.

I read online a lot of cable tv and sat tv customers drop their service and get OTA/Digital stations. This include Netflix...... More people are watching movies and online.

Though from the some of the articles I have been reading, I have a feeling the "online" viewing will soon also have a cost

I read online a lot of cable tv and sat tv customers drop their service and get OTA/Digital stations. This include Netflix...... More people are watching movies and online.
Many, especially those not served by cable, do not have the Internet connection to support quality online viewing. The articles don't often address that major issue.

Online viewing doesn't bring some of the popular linear channels nor is it particularly good for event programming like sports and concerts.

While there are certainly those who are looking for content apart from the conventional delivery methods, it often involves a significant compromise in quality and availability. It doesn't matter how wonderful your recording and distribution setup is if you don't have access to the content you want when you want it.

Online for me is great!

I get to stream all my favorite British, Russian, French and Brazilian tv shows to my big screen.

I really don't watch live TV anymore because of all the commercials. Last weeks episode of "supernatural" had one commercial break with 16 commercials in it. That is just ridiculous
I set the dvr to record my shows and watch them later, the htpc does the same thing with the net. It downloads the shows I watch from other countries and stores them in a library till I want to watch them.
I do like watching the commercials on French and Brazilian TV. Some of them are very hot. Not quite XXX but much more than soft core. Just plain Hot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)