Is there anyway to vie OTA channels on deactivated 622

Spatch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Northeast, PA
I canceled my Dish service recently and was wondering if there is a way to still be able to use my owned 622 to record OTA? I still have the satellite dish connected.

It tells me I can not view OTA channels until my Hd access is returned, then gives me a number to sign up for service.

My guess is that they won't let you use their DVR technology to record off air channels unless you are paying them for something. At least, if I were Dish marketing that's the call I would make.

You may be able to subscribe to the welcome pak at $9.99 on an owned receiver and get your OTA capability back. I believe the 811 was the last DISH HDTV receiver that would work for OTA without a subscription.

sell it on ebay, get yourself a DTVPal DVR by dish, a DTV converter box with DVR and an EPG built into it
622 Id say make a good description on ebay,post fancy pics clean it up etc
then for 250 get an OTA dvr(yes it is an HD OTA DVR)it has an HDMI output also
only problem is it is not a dual tuner but you cant ask for much when you are getting free ota TV.

The policy for several years at Dish is that they provide "satellite boxes" and not OTA boxes. What that means is that if you don't have a Dish network qualifying package (I don't know what would qualify) the OTA function of the box will NOT function.

According to Charlie, he is subsidizing both the lease and full retail cost of the box, and if you don't subscribe to Dish network service, he can't get the cost of the subsidy back, and you would be getting a sophisticated OTA DVR pretty cheap. Keep in mind the satellite boxes are significantly more sophisticated and cost more to manufacture than the DTVPal DVR. I'm just telling you what Charlie said.

If one wants an OTA DVR, then they are directed to the DTVPal DVR that has a much lower retail price than any of the ViP sat boxes. It doesn't have several of the features found on the ViP boxes, but that is why it has a much lower retail price, and no monthly fees.

sell it on ebay, get yourself a DTVPal DVR by dish, a DTV converter box with DVR and an EPG built into it
622 Id say make a good description on ebay,post fancy pics clean it up etc
then for 250 get an OTA dvr(yes it is an HD OTA DVR)it has an HDMI output also
only problem is it is not a dual tuner but you cant ask for much when you are getting free ota TV.

The DTVPAL DRV is NOT a converter box, it is HD no converter box is HD.

The DTVPAL DRV is NOT a converter box, it is HD no converter box is HD.

Yesm it is a converter box. It has the ability to use HDMI or component for HD to an HD or HD-ready TV. It can also be hooked to a non-hd TV using composite for viewing downconverted digital transmissions on an sdtv. Digital does not mean HD.
S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts