Is there new DirecTV equipment on the way?

rubendn

Original poster
Sep 3, 2022
South Florida
I received a survey yesterday from a third-party polling company supposedly doing research on behalf of DirecTV. Most of the questions were about how you would feel about new hardware that had features such as streaming apps built in and a backup way to get your service in case of bad weather.

It's maybe a coincidence since I canceled service last week.

Reactions: DaveKL69
My understanding is they are just starting to work on an add on box that adds Android TV to the Directv platform much like Dish is doing with their Hopper Plus and Zooey 4 platforms.

While an ice step they really need some new hardware which can do satellite / 4K and Android steaming all in one box.

It’s my understanding that all equipment being installed today is all old refurbished equipment. It’s been a long time since we have had new equipment from Directv. I blame AT&T for ruining Directv.

New equipment if Dish absorbs them? :devilish ;)
Think the merger talks has failed already, TPG started talking talking with Dish in January, nothing since, no rumors, nothing.

Dish would be smart to wait, DirecTV is losing about 1.6-2 million subs a year ( estimated) and that will get worse after Sunday Ticket is gone, get a much better deal if they wait.

Also ( and this is not political, just repeating what Dish has said) that they do not think it will get approved under the current administration, unless they can show the government that one will go out of business without a merger.

In about 2-3 years, it will be impossible for DirecTV to turn things around and who else would want to buy a failing Satellite Company that has maybe 2 years left.

Math-if they are losing 1.6 million a year and it does not increase ( it will), in 5 years, that is 8 million gone and they only have about 10 Million Satellite Subs left.

Dish does not lose as many subs, if DirecTV’s losses increase after Sunday Ticket is gone, Dish should have more Satellite Subs then DirecTV in about 2-3 years.

Think the merger talks has failed already, TPG started talking talking with Dish in January, nothing since, no rumors, nothing.

Dish would be smart to wait, DirecTV is losing about 1.6-2 million subs a year ( estimated) and that will get worse after Sunday Ticket is gone, get a much better deal if they wait.

And that’s what I believe is EXACTLY what is happening.

With no Sunday Ticket Directv is not worth much.

Charlie is cheap. So why pay more?

It will happen but still at least 3 years away.
And that’s what I believe is EXACTLY what is happening.

With no Sunday Ticket Directv is not worth much.

Charlie is cheap. So why pay more?
It will not be much, in 3 years and roughly 6 million gone, DirecTV will be pretty close to unprofitable.

All they have beyond the Satellite is DirecTV Stream, which only has about 1.5 million subs ( in comparison, YTTV has 5 million, Hulu Live has about 4 Million) and then they have about 2-3 million uverse subs left (a lot in multi-dwellings).

I still think, unless Charlie can get a incredible deal, he should just let them die and use the money towards his broadband thing.

Scott’s way behind as usual Look for a genie mini replacement here in the future based on the Osprey hardware offering the same amenities

My understanding is they are just starting to work on an add on box that adds Android TV to the Directv platform much like Dish is doing with their Hopper Plus and Zooey 4 platforms.

While an ice step they really need some new hardware which can do satellite / 4K and Android steaming all in one box.

It’s my understanding that all equipment being installed today is all old refurbished equipment. It’s been a long time since we have had new equipment from Directv. I blame AT&T for ruining Directv.
I was HOPING you were coming in to tell us that there was New Equipment on the way ... seeing you have often had the inside info.

It will not be much, in 3 years and roughly 6 million gone, DirecTV will be pretty close to unprofitable.

All they have beyond the Satellite is DirecTV Stream, which only has about 1.5 million subs ( in comparison, YTTV has 5 million, Hulu Live has about 4 Million) and then they have about 2-3 million uverse subs left (a lot in multi-dwellings).

I still think, unless Charlie can get a incredible deal, he should just let them die and use the money towards his broadband thing.
⁸cough blockbuster cough

⁸cough blockbuster cough
no one could of saved Blockbuster, which is more apparent now then back then, with the closure of one of the last video store chains last year, Family Video, all that is left is Mom and Pop type stores and Redbox, it shows that streaming has finally killed that type of business.

no one could of saved Blockbuster, which is more apparent now then back then, with the closure of one of the last video store chains last year, Family Video, all that is left is Mom and Pop type stores and Redbox, it shows that streaming has finally killed that type of business.
Wasn't streaming...they died long before that
To buy a VHS movie wasn't cheap but DVDs changed that and they scratched a lot..making them crappy rentals. Why rent for 3 o4 bucks when you can buy for 10?
Then cable and satellite VOD also killed it

Steaming is new in regards to decent choices

Also ( and this is not political, just repeating what Dish has said) that they do not think it will get approved under the current administration, unless they can show the government that one will go out of business without a merger.
Can I ask what mergers have they stopped in 40 years? ATT? T-Moble/Sprint? Comcast? Fox? Looks like the new American way is let anything goes mentality?

Can I ask what mergers have they stopped in 40 years? ATT? T-Moble/Sprint? Comcast? Fox? Looks like the new American way is let anything goes mentality?
Well, the FCC and U.S. Justice Department blocked the first attempt at a DirecTV-Dish merger in 2002.

Reactions: John2021
Well, the FCC and U.S. Justice Department blocked the first attempt at a DirecTV-Dish merger in 2002.
Well they sure didnt care about cable companies eating each other up did they? Every major TV corporation grew enormously over that same time!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Today's decision represents a rare instance in which officials appointed by the Bush administration have tried to stop a corporate deal, and an even rarer instance in which a deal was blocked by the F.C.C. Officials said the agency had not voted to stop a major merger since it intervened in the proposed deal of the ABC broadcasting company and ITT, the former telecommunications giant, in 1966.