Is there no demand for the 811 anymore ?

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I've been trying to sell my old 811 receiver on Craigslist and a local HT forum with no luck. Is there just no demand for it anymore? I've got the box, manual, and 2 working remotes. I've had a couple people respond, asking about what card is in it. When I tell them it never came with one, I think they think I'm lying. Thanks.

The 811 is a SD only receiver now. Its the original model that is now a 381. While it has a ASTC tuner in it, it can only be activated on Western Arc. Its not the best thing out there. Lots of bugs in them

There is a card in it. The original ones were on the motherboard. When the purple (new ones) came out, it overrode the internal one. So technically there IS a card...you just cant see it

There is less demand for an 811 than there is for a 311. I got a few in stock and practically can't even give it away.

You would think an 811 would be better than a 311, but when I think about an 811 I think about all the bugs in the software.

The 811 receiver is the only DISH Network receiver that I physically threw accross a room because I became so frustrated with it. I have never had to do that with a satellite receiver before.

Maybe we can all send you a dollar and have you video it being shot or something? :D

LOL

Ya, sorry Jim, The 811(381) is and always has been a real POS. I would feel sorry for the person who you tricked into buying/taking it. Just throw it away and don't waste any more of your time even thinking about it.

Well, it sounds like it would be cheaper than an external ATSC tuner, and come with a nice guide if you connect it up to your dish. Or is even that part buggy? Do you have to add it to your account before it will work in this fashion?

TheKrell said:
Well, it sounds like it would be cheaper than an external ATSC tuner, and come with a nice guide if you connect it up to your dish. Or is even that part buggy? Do you have to add it to your account before it will work in this fashion?

The guide constantly loses all it's data and has to refresh itself (annoying 2-3 minute satellite download) on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times in one day. Very annoying. You would have to add it to your account even just to use the guide for OTA. I wouldn't wish a 381 on my worst enemy.

Sorry I have a different opinion than most of the posters, of course I am using 2 of them. You must take into consideration the age of the receivers even if rebadged as a 381 they are still old technology. All receivers except DVRs in that age range have very little memory and the guide quickly becomes outdated. The way DISH updates the guide you must shut the receiver off for it to update the guide information. You do not need a subscription to use the ATSC tuner but it must be connected to a DISH satellite signal. If you need a SD receiver and an ATSC tuner for local channels it can have a place at a LOW price tag. Mine have guide data for the Dallas stations except the digital sub stations. No it isn't a 612 or even a 211 but for a price less than a digital converter box I have a real HDTV tuner even if it is component only.
No I do not have a subscription and I do have guide information and I do still feel at a low price this receiver has a place but don't have expectations beyond the original design of it.:):):)

Last edited:
I had an 811 as my first HD receiver from Dish, used it for about 2 years before upgrading to a 211. If memory serves, I had to do that in order to continue receiving certain legacy HD channels that were converting to MPEG4, and to receive all future ones that would be offered only in MPEG4. Mine never had any problems that I can remember. I recall it also had a video-only HD digital output via DVI. I used a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to my TV. (Audio went via toslink to my receiver.)

I believe the 811 was the last HD receiver to also have an NTSC tuner in it? In some locations including mine there are still some low-power repeaters b'casting in analog, so there might be some continued interest for an 811 in that limited application ??

The 811 is one of the few receivers that gives you guide data even if you dont/didnt sub to locals. As long as your dish could "see" the orbital slot that your SD locals were on, you got guide data.

I had a deactivated 811 for a while setup for locals only. I had a dish aimed at 110 (where Minneapolis locals are) and got guide data for the main locals. No subchannel local info

I believe the 811 was the last HD receiver to also have an NTSC tuner in it?
you're right, it did

Maybe you could gut the 721 and put a MicroATX MB inside it. Then you could turn it into an HD HTPC... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)