Is there truth in Jose Canseco's book?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I haven't read his book but I have been hearing a lot about it on the Radio. What do you think?

I also haven't read the book. I think it was just released today -- which isn't to suggest that I just haven't had the time to run out and buy it. I have no intention of putting money in Canseco's pocket.
Is there truth in it? Oh, I'm sure there's some -- I mean, I think the steroid problem is pretty obvious. But who knows if the stories he tells involving the players he names really happened at all, let alone the way he tells it? He just seems like such a publicity whore that it creates the appearance that he is simply trying to cash in, get back up into the limelight. Maybe he writes nothing but the truth, I don't know. But I'll be needing corroboration before there's a chance I'm believing his stories.

Of course its true. When you see these athletes that should be on the downside of their prime (over 32 years old), loose 20 pounds of fat and put on 40 pounds of muscle in 12 months what do you think.

Oh I know, they eat their spinache like popeye, LOL!!!! It would take a healthy 25 year old 3 years (sterroid free) in a gym to do that and these guys do it in 6 months at the age of 35 or higher.

I saw the interview on 60 Minutes. I believe some of what he is saying, but it was obvious that he is in this for the money. In the book, he said he injected McGwire many times. In the interview, he said he did it twice. Then he said when he was on the Texas Rangers, he and several others would inject each other all the time. I've never injected anything, but if I was going to do it, I sure as hell would not want someone else to be injecting me.

Canseco said that he and the others would take time out from practice to go shoot up steroids. It appeared like he would do it whenever he was in the mood. I don't know, but I think most guys have a better plan than that. Mike Wallace asked him where he had gotten his steroids, and Canseco said he could get them on any street corner. The guy lacks credibility, but it's also obvious that some players are doing it. And the 60 Minutes interview was not enough to make me want to buy or even read the book.

He once charged fans $2500 a day to come hang out with him at his house when he was under house arrest. Also charged for giving autographs. He and his book are not worth my time or money.

richard_rd said:
Of course its true. When you see these athletes that should be on the downside of their prime (over 32 years old), loose 20 pounds of fat and put on 40 pounds of muscle in 12 months what do you think.

Oh I know, they eat their spinache like popeye, LOL!!!! It would take a healthy 25 year old 3 years (sterroid free) in a gym to do that and these guys do it in 6 months at the age of 35 or higher.
Nobody is questioning whether there is a steroid problem in baseball, Richard. What is in doubt are Canseco's allegations about his poking parties with McGwire and Giambi, and with Gonzalez and Pudge in the Texas days.
Of course some players use steroids -- that has become obvious. But that doesn't mean that anything happened the way a loser like Canseco says it did. As you say, guys do it in 6 months at the age of 35 and higher. McGwire was much younger and smaller (relatively) when he played with Canseco -- was he just not doing them right? Maybe he should've shot them himself instead of relying on dumb ol' Jose -- or just stuck with that andro or creatine or whatever it was he admitted using.

Let's see those who are accused bring a slander lawsuit if they are really innocent.
Just releasing a statement denying it doesn't cut it in my book.

The problem with suing for Slander is that they have to PROVE that what the other party is saying is not true. How is someone like mcgwire going to prove that he didn't take steroids 7 or 8 years ago??

The most common place to inject this stuff is on your A$$ cheaks, so yes it is/was common practice to have someone else inject you!!! It is hard to perform an injection on your own a$$!!!

richard_rd said:
The most common place to inject this stuff is on your A$$ cheaks, so yes it is/was common practice to have someone else inject you!!! It is hard to perform an injection on your own a$$!!!
'roid rage, richard? :D Just kidding...don't sue me for slander! :p

richard_rd said:

Well, if there is a will, there is a way.
moon.gif

Say it ain't so, Pudge.

Ugh. Ivan Rodriguez has reported to Lakeland weighing about 20-25 lbs less than he did last year -- and it looks like he's actually lost more than that IMO. Of course, everyone's saying the steroid testing has nothing to do with it, he's just gettin' older and wants to be in better shape to avoid new injuries and aggravating old injuries and be better defensively this year and of course there's no truth to the stuff Jose said in his book blah blah blah. But the timing sure is interesting. I was talking to my Dad when the steroid testing stuff was news and we agreed it would be quite interesting to see who showed up to spring training noticeably lighter. Looks like "Pudge" fits the bill -- but I guess I shouldn't call him that anymore. :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)