Is There Widely Varying Q Levels on IA5 97.0W Channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Had to do a Factory Default reset on the ViewSat Receiver and rescaned in IA5 97.0W. Looked at about 150 channels, and noticed Q Signal Levels as high as about 50% on only about 20 channels. Others had Q levels as low as 10 - 12 % and were freezing up at times, and some channels had Q levels of 25%. (My S signal level is usually always around 50%). Is it normal for 97.0W to have this much Q Signal fluctuation on its approx 195 channels? Or do I need to look at realigning the Fortec Dish and Motor again?

For me, it's all over the place on Ia5 but with good alignment and even a little nudging I get everything. 11874 is usually one of the weaker ones (50% tops on my Fortec Lifetime Ultra), while 11966 is recently just as bad. All of the others are between 60% and the mid 70s on a 31" dish.

Thanks for the replies. 1 inabillion what size Dish do you have?

on the 30" Winegard it does fluxuate on the Coolsat between 65-82. A couple TP's (Russia Today is one of them) seem to be low but if I nudge it west it comes in really good but the rest go down

On the T90 all TP's are between 76-82 (on the Pansat its between 75-99 for all TP's)

on the 30" Winegard it does fluxuate on the Coolsat between 65-82. A couple TP's (Russia Today is one of them) seem to be low but if I nudge it west it comes in really good but the rest go down

On the T90 all TP's are between 76-82 (on the Pansat its between 75-99 for all TP's)

Thanks IceBerg, yeah Russia Today is one I get in the marginal 10% Q signal level range, and it freezes at times. When you say you "I NUDGE IT WEST" what do you mean? That is, are you physically turning or temporarily bumping the Dish?

Also with my 39 inch dish, shouldn't it be coming in with a stronger signal?

Thanks IceBerg, yeah Russia Today is one I get in the marginal 10% Q signal level range, and it freezes at times. When you say you "I NUDGE IT WEST" what do you mean? That is, are you physically turning or temporarily bumping the Dish?
yep. I try and lock the Diseqc 1.2 on that TP with the best signal. The rest may have lower signal than normal but they all come in :)

Also with my 39 inch dish, shouldn't it be coming in with a stronger signal?

you should. The T90 is 42x40 but works like a 36" dish and on Russia Today I have 80 on the Pansat

Thanks IceBerg, just noticed that when I scanned in Galaxy 3C 95.0W, the Q levels for most channels are in the 50% range ie: CCTV9 is Chinese - with English commentators. Also a bunch of RTN Channels came in, - but no sound or picture, what are these channels? Almost all Galaxy 3C channels are coming in stronger than some IA5 97.0W channels, wondering why? Lower on the arc?

Boy, I been reading what you guys are saying about signal and quality on IA5 so I decided to double check mine since it's been a while since I have done that. I have an Opentech ODS4000VA receiver which I got with my KISB subscription and I set up for FTA in addition to KISB which is viaccess encrypted. I also have a Traxis 4550 with blind scan and I checked both receivers thoroughly on IA5. Both of them get nearly identical signal and quality across the board ( 75 and70 ) and there is very little fluctuation. Even Russia Today I watched in particular since you mentioned it and it was rock solid at 76 and 71. Here in southern Michigan I am assuming I must be in a particularly good location for a strong stable signal because it doesn't seem like there could be that much variability in receivers, is there? Even during the ice storms last week I didn't notice any variation in signal like a lot of guys in the forums were talking about. In addition to the above receivers I have a 30 inch Winegard dish, an sg2100 motor and a Sadoun dual LNB. Also I wanted to ask how do you get your equipment list to display each time on the bottom of your post in this forum without typing it in each time? I havn't been able to figure that out yet; I know it must be simple but I am just not seeing the method.

Sunelec, thanks for the info - got this from "Charper1" on how to display your eqpt list to display each time:
"Go into your user control panel link (USER CP) and under the "Settings & Options" header select the "Edit Signature" link and fill out in the signature area. Be sure to reduce the font size and adhere to the 3 line max rule. The click the "Save Signature" button at the bottom. It will then show in all your posts, new and previous".

Also I found I could only get to : "user control panel link" under "Reply with Quote". But after you put in your Eqpt List, it comes up every time. Another great feature on this very helpful web site!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)