Is this a good deal? (dish and receiver)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pokey31

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Pickerington, OH
8 foot winegard dish with a motorola 922 4dtv receiver, von weise actuator arm, cable...c/ku feedhorn for $250?

I'm thinking it is. The problem is, i won't be able to put the dish up for a couple of years until I move out of a restricted neighborhood, so i plan on putting it in storage.

Another question, is this dish big enough to pick up the s2 hd signals if i were to add an azbox (or whatever the best box is at the time i finally get to put the dish up)?

Your guys opinions and input is appreciated.

Don't know if I'd gamble on something 2yrs from now, in the electronics world that is a long time. The dish should be fine, but I couldn't swear 4DTV would still be around then.

just one opinion:

If you were going to use it now, then probably.
But to store it for two years? No way!

Things are already tightening up in the 4D department, so there is not guarantee your shows will be available nor cheap next month, much less next year.

If you've got two years to look, keep an eye out.
You may well find a nice dish -with- a 922 or 920, for free.
If so, dig it out and store it. :)

Thanks for the input! I'm mostly interested in the dish anyways, i missed out on a free 10 foot channel master the other day on craislist becuase i procrastinated, now i can kick myself in the butt. I would most likely do this deal just for the dish. I plan on building my own reciever with the tt-3200 card, or buying something equivalent of an azbox in 2 years or so. My biggest concern is whether or not the 8 foot dish is big enough to bring in the s2 signals, etc... I would most likely put the 4dtv reciever on ebay asap. I have an old analog uniden supra that i could use as my dish mover when the time comes.

Also wondering if the winegard is a good BUD dish. I have a winegard 76cm ku dish right now, and it seems to be a good brand.

Once again, thanks for the input. I'm always open to all angles, especially from those of you that have been there and done that.

With a 2 year window of opportunity, you have time to wait for a FREE dish to come available. Seems like there's always an opportunity to BUY something. FREE is a little more scarce. Be Patient and wish you good luck.
:)

The 920 is the main concern, with the battery life. When that battery dies, the 920 will be worthless.
It would be worth the wait as far as getting a complete system later. I have gotten systems for pennies on the dollar, coupla free.

sure will turbosat. I will try to make a decision by Wed. if i hear back from the seller, if not i'm at the beach for a week and a half, then will make a decision.

Get the dish... in 2 years there will be no C-Band dishes any were for a good price.
Dishes do not go bad or out of style just you will not be able to find one.

I'm not sure they'll be gone, but there will be fewer of them for scrounging. People are always removing the old ones from the 80s and early 90s... There are far fewer BUDs around here than there were when I started looking in '05...

Another issue is paying for storage. It will add up in two years. If he know someone who wouldn't mind storing the dish and electonics for free, it would be ok.

If this one escapes, worry not.
There are others to be found, but you must look!.

Once I decided to get a C-band dish, I casually looked.
Thanks to this forum, I became more familiar with a few unusual dishes.
Then, I set my sights on a solid dish that I thought probably didn't even exist on the west coast.
And once I really looked in earnest, I found -some-.
Not one. Several !

So, whether you get this dish or not, there is always a better one out there.
You just have to get serious and look for it.

To paraphrase Anole, "keep looking, you will find one".

Was on vacation last week up in Des Moines. My artist wife was meeting a fellow artist from her artist's forums and a fun time was had by all at the Zoo. We followed them out to their house and pulling into the driveway I noticed what looked to be an 8' mesh dish. I asked the husband if he still uses it. He said no. I asked when could he deliver it down to my house. He said and I quote, "Take it if you want it. I have another out behind the garage with a little damage that I'm just going to crumple up and take to the junk yard. Take them both! And I have the original receiver downstairs you can have!":D
I went and looked closer at them. We had our cameras with us but do you think I would remember to take pictures? :eek: They turned out to be 10' small mesh dishes. The one behind the garage will need some mesh replaced. The one still standing is almost perfect condition. Both have motors:) Says he has a H5 receiver:confused: Didn't see any names on the dishes, but I saw Chaperal on one and Van Weiss on the other. That's all I can tell you.
So next month when I go on vacation again up to Des Moines, I'm hauling it all home. And this time we will take dozens of pictures:up

. . . keep looking, one will find YOU!

In January, I had a Birdview dug out, and scheduled to haul home.
Just needed to arrange transportation, friends, and such.

That month, I was having lunch with some buddies.
One's wife brought her friend.
This lady says, "We have one out back. Would you like it, too?"
Wasn't too anxious to go look, 'cause I had my Birdview in the bag.
Once I went and saw it, I knew I had to have it! - :up

Came with a nice analog receiver, H-H motor, and 9' of pole (after I cut at ground level)
It's the AMCI dish which you will find pictures of in my signature.
On pick-up day, I rented a big truck and hauled both dishes home.

The Birdview cost me between $100 - $150 in bribes, gifts, good will . . . oh, and help from the owner!
Cheap at twice the price.
The AMCI was totally free!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts