Is this a good deal for external hardrive storagefor the 622

Decent price but Seagates don't play well with Dish software. You will have to disable the sleep function or power off when not in use. Otherwise, it will lock up and may require a receiver re-boot.

As far as I know that's true for the FreeAgents but not if you build your own external with a Seagate drive. I have 3 Seagate drives and none of them go to sleep.

As far as I know that's true for the FreeAgents but not if you build your own external with a Seagate drive. I have 3 Seagate drives and none of them go to sleep.
That was my intention...the Free Agent Seagates as per the OP's link.

An easy way determining value of a hard drive is to break down cost per gb.

$67/320gb= $.215 per gb

USB 2.0 External Enclosure + Seagate / WD 500GB/7200RPM --pre-formtted or
External - 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive (Lacie) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

$95/500gb= $.19 per gb

Another feature that would be very useful is the ability to daisy chain hard drives. Paying a little bit more upfront might be a good idea if it is expandable later. Six months ago a 500gb HD was $140. Around Thanksgiving expect the price for a portable to be about $75. And to further complicate the decision process, expect external HD to be replaced by flash cards starting this year. Today they can fit 160gb on a credit card size drive. Or, think of iPods capacity vs. size.

Last edited:
I know others have had no problems with them, but I recommend avoiding the WD MyBooks. Mine failed early on. The power button does not work reliably. There are posts from those of us unhappy with MyBooks.

This is my tried and true recommendation, though not a cheap as your Seagate.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

and

Newegg.com - Eagle Consus W-Series ET-CSWSIU2-BK 3.5" USB2.0 to IDE + SATA Aluminum External Enclosure - Retail

The WD AAKS series is available in all the normal sizes.

Never a hicup, little or no heat buildup, good solid power switch. I have repeated this, but the plastic housed pre-builts (WD, Seagate) were never designed to be more than occasional back-up devices. They will not hold up 24/7 for very long. If you want to leave it on at all times, you need to take a step or two up. I unintentionally left the above rig on for three weeks with no harm. But I do shut it down most of the time. Why take chances?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts