Is This a Good Deal?

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Check AVS threads on the Onkyo 606. Members often give info on who to call at places like 6th Ave for the "special AVS member price."

yeah, $400 is still too much, many better deals from authorized retailers, including Onkyo's online store (check out their refurb inventory).

What about Onkyo HTIBs? As I've posted in other threads before, I'm not an audiophile, but I also don't want something that sounds so-so, or sounds like a basic HTIB. I'm mainly upgrading now because I now have a PS3 and after watching BladeRunner, which sounded AMAZING, but also almost blew out 2 of my speakers, I feel I need to upgrade out of basic DD/DTS sound. I also can't break the bank on this. I'd really like to stay in the $500-$750 range in terms of receiver and speaker price, whether it's all in one package or getting the receiver and speakers separately.

I should also point out that I likely won't be using such a system in a large room to begin with, but that could change in a year or 2. I'd like (if possible) a system that can grow, or expand with the room, rather than get one tailored for a small area but then sounds weak in a large area. Of course the flip side is that you don't want something to overpower a small area either and you can't hear all the nuances, while at the same time disturbing your multi-family house neighbors. ;p

Sounds like the "bug bit", as it did me back in May. I'm extremely happy with where I ended-up and see it as being all I'll need (net of a BD player of some sort; I already installed the cable and programmed the input!) for quite some time to come. That came at a price as I more than quadrupled my original budget !! (I started looking at a Yamaha receiver/Klipsch package for about $900 and...well...you do the math!) But there's a good reason for that, and that's my message to you.

Before you spend dime one, I suggest you do some serious planning and avoid the impulse buy. Consider not only what you want now, but what you might want in the next couple of years. Make sure you consider expansion. For instance, will 3 HDMI inputs be enough ?? 5.1 or 7.1 ?? Set a budget, then at least double it for good measure. Hit the stores and catalogs to see what's out there and start shopping price. IMHO, buying something below your "known" (or "shoulda known") needs/wants will have you buying then replacing in the short term, and that will cost you more in the long run!

Once you start into this project - watching, listening, and researching - you might discover you're more of a video/audiophile than you once thought! You might also be surprised that your SO joins you in this new hobby, one that becomes more like a passion once you dive into it. Indeed it might eventually define a significant piece of your lifestyle. You might spend quite a bit more - at once or in planned pieces - than you can imagine now. But once you do you'll have a system that looks and sounds fantastic and does you proud....and you'll never look back...!

You're on the first stone in the proverbial Yellow Brick Road. Enjoy the journey as much as the destination...!

(PS - No such word/concept as "overpower" !! Think Tim Taylor...!)

I wrote a long response yesterday, only to have it get lost in the server reboot.

I've bought both HTIB systems and various component. Some thoughts on HTIB.

First, they do a reasonable job of solving a limited set of problems at a low cost. The problem they solve is improving the sound from a TV and adding a DVD player. If that is all you will need, then go for it.

They generally don't have a lot of expansion capabilities beyond that, so if you are planning on adding a BluRay player or satellite box, you will need to shop more carefully.

HTIB systems are often difficult to upgrade. The amplifiers are designed for the included speakers, so a speaker upgrade is often impossible. The speakers themselves are small and usually have an uneven frequency response. The subwoofer is invariably a small bass reflex design with a 60 watt or less amp. This will lead to boomy bass without a lot of definition.

I'd look at building a modest component system. The Onkyo is a good choice. I have a 605 currently in one of my systems. There are some good HT speaker systems out there from reputable speaker manufacturers. I'd avoid the ones that come with subwoofers for reasons stated above and budget for a good one from a manufacturer known for quality subs.

I wrote a long response yesterday, only to have it get lost in the server reboot.

I've bought both HTIB systems and various component. Some thoughts on HTIB.

First, they do a reasonable job of solving a limited set of problems at a low cost. The problem they solve is improving the sound from a TV and adding a DVD player. If that is all you will need, then go for it.

They generally don't have a lot of expansion capabilities beyond that, so if you are planning on adding a BluRay player or satellite box, you will need to shop more carefully.

HTIB systems are often difficult to upgrade. The amplifiers are designed for the included speakers, so a speaker upgrade is often impossible. The speakers themselves are small and usually have an uneven frequency response. The subwoofer is invariably a small bass reflex design with a 60 watt or less amp. This will lead to boomy bass without a lot of definition.

I'd look at building a modest component system. The Onkyo is a good choice. I have a 605 currently in one of my systems. There are some good HT speaker systems out there from reputable speaker manufacturers. I'd avoid the ones that come with subwoofers for reasons stated above and budget for a good one from a manufacturer known for quality subs.
Do you think that like a JBL speaker system would be good with an Onkyo receiver?

Do you think that like a JBL speaker system would be good with an Onkyo receiver?

I've never heard the JBL speakers. The cases are attractive. I'd be more tempted by the 6100 system than the 4200 system, simply because the subwoofer is larger and has more power. That should be able to let you run it at a lower level. Still a bass reflex design and it will have resonances.

Sorry, I simply don't know without listening, and that really is the key to speakers. Doesn't matter what sounds good to ME, only to you. A lot of people think my Klipsch system is too bright, but I like the clarity, especially for HT use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)