Is this a good deal?

tiorted

Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I am out of contract on paying month to month. My leased 622 is getting old and starting to make some noises like the hard drive is about to meltdown so I want to replace it with a 722 or 922, I do have the protection plan.

The rep said in order for me to lease a new box I have to sign up for a 2 year commit. If I want to stay month to month I need to buy the box outright, not sure the exact price but something like $400+. I asked if he could throw in any upgrades all he said was $5 off for 6 months on some promo.

Is it possible to lease a new box and staty month to month? Or should I call back and try to get a better discount/upgrade?

Thanks

Generally, if you were just replacing what you have there would be no contract required. To upgrade does generally mean a new contract. I have seen better discounts given, but you are so vague as to what was offered I can't tell. It also depends how long you have been a customer and how much you spend with them. Also did you give thought to going to a Hopper set-up as long as you have to sign a new contract?

Been with dish since 2005, The Hopper is not a big deal to me because I only have 2 TV's, 1 is HD

As far as I can tell I am not getting anything for sigining the 2 year commitment other than being able to lease instead of having to buy the new box. My bill is about $135 with the everything HD package HBO, Showtime and Cinemax.

I feel like Dish should throw me something for the 2 year contract I need to commit to for the new box.

By leasing you're not spending hundreds more for a purchased receiver. I've never really seen much of an advantage to have all purchased equipment but some people here do.

I feel like Dish should throw me something for the 2 year contract I need to commit to for the new box.
Well, I think they are. Receiver upgrades are usually $100 PLUS commitment, or at least they used to be.

When you do the upgrade promotion you are usually not paying anything for the equipment just the tech visit fee. If under the protection plan then it's only $15. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Plus that includes installation.

I have seen instances of 622's getting replaced with a 722 with no commitment,it basically comes down to which rep you chat with.Try contacting Dirt they may be able to sweeten the pot.

I upgraded from a 622 to a 722. I was out of contract, i had to renew. I got $10 off month for 12 months, free hbo for 3 months. I didnt pay anything to upgrade and didnt pay a tech fee as i swapped out the boxes myself.

Been with dish since 2005, The Hopper is not a big deal to me because I only have 2 TV's, 1 is HD

As far as I can tell I am not getting anything for sigining the 2 year commitment other than being able to lease instead of having to buy the new box. My bill is about $135 with the everything HD package HBO, Showtime and Cinemax.

You'd think Dish would forgo the 2-year contract for long time subscribers. I had a similar issue about 6 months ago. I wanted to add a receiver to a TV that didn't need a DVR. I found one new online for $89 and for sheets and giggles, I called Dish to see what kind of deal they could give me. They said $100 with a new contract. I said I could get it for $89, and if I am going to have to agree to a new 2-year contract after being a Dish subscriber for about 9 years, I might as well switch to Directv. I ended up getting the receiver for $100, no contract, no install fee.

You could try telling Dish the 622 failed, they may have to send you a 722 as a replacement but it should be another 622. If you contact them to upgrade to another leased receiver, you will pay a fee and get a new two year contract.

We ended up with a 722 after 3 failed 622's.No contract renewal etc.The 722 has been doing great for almost a year now.After so many issues with the 622's I simply contacted dirt explained about our bad experience with the 622 and they offered a 722.

You could try telling Dish the 622 failed

What happens when they check it out and find out it didn't fail?

they may have to send you a 722 as a replacement but it should be another 622. If you contact them to upgrade to another leased receiver, you will pay a fee and get a new two year contract.

Can't think of a honorable reason to treat long-time subscribers as new subscribers, at least where contracts go. I have a 612 I'd like to upgrade to a 622 or 722, but don't think I'd get the upgrade without a contract, and I won't sign a new contract. I'd be better off going to Directv for a couple years, and save money to boot.

Why upgrade with the protection plan on a leased receiver DISH will replace if FREE no contract no fees..Basically a 722 is a 622 with a larger hard drive.

boba said:
Why upgrade with the protection plan on a leased receiver DISH will replace if FREE no contract no fees..Basically a 722 is a 622 with a larger hard drive.

I thought they charge a shipping fee without the plan? In that case the plan is cheaper in the short term but just paying the shipping fee is cheaper in the long term.

Unless you're talking about upgrading receivers vs replacing. In that case I thought OP didn't want a new 2-year contract?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

The 622's also have a infamous reputation for failing hdmi outputs.

I don't see what the big deal about a 2 year commitment. Unless you have notion of switching to Direct, 2 years shouldn't matter. And if you do have thoughts about doing that, read the thread started by the person regrets doing that.

You'd think Dish would forgo the 2-year contract for long time subscribers.

Either that or charge you fees up front. They need some insurance you will spend some money after having a tech come out and also upgrade the receivers. And while true you can save more by being a new customer with another carrier, you are signing a two year contract with them too. So you can't be against a two year contact. And then, Dish is giving a little more now for discounts than they used to from posts I am seeing, so the savings gap is not as large. I think if you can just pay a $15 fee, and a two year contract, that's not bad. (And now only $50 for a Hoppa) But it's been posted and talked about over and over, the industry is, the new subscriber is given the biggest discount, with a two year contract, the hope being you won't want to switch after the two years.

Now to be fair,we didn't require a tech to come out and swap the 622 for the 722.They shipped a 722,we returned the 622 in the same box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)