Is this a good view of the south? & Is this a good dish? (pics)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BH2K

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
GA
Heres a picture that I have of whats behind my house to the south, I didnt take a picture behind my house so i might do that if its not enough. Its a few trees and As you can see its summer time shot, and theres a house behind there. What are my chances? Also heres a picture of my neighbors antenna, do you think its worth knocking on his door and asking for?
The sun is rising as this is a 8AM shot so you can see it looks like the dish is pointing west.

Attachments

• view of south.JPG
    view of south.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 256
  • niegbordish.JPG
    niegbordish.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 259
If the jeep is due south in your picture you should be able to get most of the popular sats. If you plant the pole to the left of where you were standing when you took the shot, it should clear the house even better. The dish drops lower in elevation as it goes to the far west and east from your due south position. Good looking dish, I would try to find out about it.

So do you think it would be better to plant the dish to the left of where Im standing (further away from the trees beside the house) or behind the house (closer to the trees, behind the fence and jeep and house) its about 80 feet of grass from behind the house to the trees. Im really thinking about asking for that dish since i just got 3 recievers yesterday.

Attachments

• recievers.JPG
    recievers.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 268
I found this somewhere on this forum www (dot) dishpointer (dot) com. It uses google maps and satellite views for finding true south also gives obstacle (line of sight checker). That's Max Height of Obstacle

d = the distance to the obstacle (e.g. a tree)

h = the maximum height of obstacle measured from the base of the dish.
You can get a great satellite view of your property too.

JAS

WOW Jas, thats just what I needed!. voom, Im south of Atlanta outside the perimeter. If you know of a mesh dish, Id be interested.

voom, Im south of Atlanta outside the perimeter.
I was up in Forest Park (actually Lake City) yesterday. I'll be up that way on Tuesdays for at least through April. I usually go up to Norcross on the 2nd Saturdays each month. When you find a dish, maybe I can help you get it together and pointed in the right direction? Be glad to help.

Just a note on the dish in your pictures. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you can fit a regular pencil, not the point but the entire diameter, through the mesh then it's no good for KU band only good for C band.

JAS

Well I went over to my neighbor after taking the trash out and asked him. He said "You want it? You can have it. My wife was mad at me for putting it up":) He said he had a receiver years ago but a lightning storm took it out, so now he uses digital cable. I could barely stick a pencil point in it, so its ready for Ku I guess. Ill have more pictures tomorrow but I probably wont take it down till this weekend. Do you guys usually take the pole or do you cut the pole at the bottom? He said it took 3 guys to put it up. Thanks for the offer Voom.

Cool BH2K! I have taken one 10 ft dishes & one 6 ft dish. I had to cut 1 pole & I dug the other out, which was nice, since i did not have to deal with mixing concrete at all. I just dug the hole & set the entire post w/concrete back in the hole.. I have another 10ft dish I am getting this weekend, I will dig it out & winch it into my P/U to bring home. Good luck with your project.
No Doubt

Cool BH2K! I have taken one 10 ft dishes & one 6 ft dish. I had to cut 1 pole & I dug the other out, which was nice, since i did not have to deal with mixing concrete at all. I just dug the hole & set the entire post w/concrete back in the hole.. I have another 10ft dish I am getting this weekend, I will dig it out & winch it into my P/U to bring home. Good luck with your project.
No Doubt

Wanta dig up my 12'er :D.

JAS

Attachments

• IMGP0448.jpg
    IMGP0448.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 220
Just for the record its a unimesh. I think im going to cut it at the base below the ground and build a portable base that i can move it around the yard with until im satisfied with its reception.

Attachments

• unimesh.JPG
    unimesh.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 185
  • unimesh2.JPG
    unimesh2.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 175
  • unimesh3.JPG
    unimesh3.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 189
Unimesh dishes are good dishes. I have had my 12 foot 12XL since 1989, payed $750.00 for it new. Here is some info you can use on the 10 foot models (attached)

Attachments

• 10footUNI.jpg
    10footUNI.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 181
Thanks, I ended up pulling this one out of the ground and winching it to the trailer. I broke the actuator motor off laying it down but I already have another one. Im going to try to build a tripod or find one that can hold up a dish of this size.

Attachments

• dish.JPG
    dish.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 189
BH2K, I would remove the dish from the mount ASAP (should only be four bolts holding the dish to it)
This will keep the weight off the dish (so you don't warp it)
Besides, you'll have to have it off to build your tripod anyway...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)