Is this a new 811 problem?

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
The last couple days when in program guide, and I hit the right arrow button, the guide locks up stating "No Info". Tonight I did a reset and it was fine after. Is this a new bug? I haven't been on this site for a while. Thanks.

Since the upgrade I've had more issues with the guide than anything else. It will come up with no info, I'll get about 10sec of black screen before the guide pops on, or it will pop on quick then cancel itself. I had none of these problems with 2.84.

I have seen my fair share of no info in the last week, it is kinda annoying but I put it to I just added ota, but now I am seeing more people are having problems then just me

I have had the same "no info" problem since last Sunday when the 2.89 downloaded. Today I rebooted the 811 as I have had to do in the past with the black screen of death and the guide has worked since then.
Do not know if this is a cure but it has worked for eight hours, which is some kind of record I believe for a Dish 811.

For people having the "No Info" bug. Jason, logray, and myself have personally spent a number of hours this weekend trying to narrow it down. It seems to be related to Channel surfying using ChUp and ChDn. Couple of threads of interest....

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=44558

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=44514

There is a workaround there is you want to minimize it. I welcome you people experiencing this issue to participate in the poll.

WeeJavaDude said:
There is a workaround there is you want to minimize it. I welcome you people experiencing this issue to participate in the poll.

Thanks, and I added my vote to the poll. The only question now is - how will I keep my blood pressure down with the 811 from now until Dish have an mpeg4 replacement available. I've had the 811 for more than 18 months and the bug list seems to go on for ever. Just did one manual reboot yesterday to fix the No Info guide problem. Today the 811 guide messed up again and the 811 reset itself.

I'm getting lazy and prefer the 811 to reset itself rather than having to get up out of the armchair - LOL.

Hard reset

I didn't have this problem until I connected my SquareShooter to the OTA input. I finally got around to buying a couple of diplexers this weekend just so I didn't have to run a second cable to the 811. This was just yesterday and as soon as I hooked up the OTA, the guide gave me the No Info problem.
The 811 was never a problem befor this.

After about an hour of scanning for digital OTA channels, getting incomplete guide info and having general lockups, I unplugged the unit for a few minutes.

On power-up, the 811 reset itself and finally scanned correctly for the digital OTA. I got the correct guide info and I can channel surf using the up/down buttons.

I have not had any more problems since but plan on checking it again this evening.

MichaelG said:
I didn't have this problem until I connected my SquareShooter to the OTA input. I finally got around to buying a couple of diplexers this weekend just so I didn't have to run a second cable to the 811. This was just yesterday and as soon as I hooked up the OTA, the guide gave me the No Info problem.
The 811 was never a problem befor this.

After about an hour of scanning for digital OTA channels, getting incomplete guide info and having general lockups, I unplugged the unit for a few minutes.

On power-up, the 811 reset itself and finally scanned correctly for the digital OTA. I got the correct guide info and I can channel surf using the up/down buttons.

I have not had any more problems since but plan on checking it again this evening.
The 811 is notorious for OTA issues. Hooking up an OTA antenna has exposed you to another set of 811 quirks. I've used my two 811's for more than a year now. Some problems have been addressed, and I've learned how to avoid most of the one's that haven't.

Some areas of the country have more problems than others, due to the differences in strength and quality of the digital OTA signals.

I hope your problems aren't too great, because local OTA in HD is much better than HD via satellite.

mdonnelly said:
The 811 is notorious for OTA issues. Hooking up an OTA antenna has exposed you to another set of 811 quirks. .

I hope your problems aren't too great, because local OTA in HD is much better than HD via satellite.

Thanks for the info. So far so good....about 24 hours plus and no further problems.

Yes, we prefer watching OTA HD for the most part. The 942s seem to behave really well with their OTA connections. I am lucky as I am about 8 miles from the main digital antenna farm near Houston, so signal strength is 90 plus with some pegged at 100.

My Sammys have always been reliable over the air.

If I have to, I can always live without the 811 OTA.

On to the next project.....getting the TV2s connected to other monitors in the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts